• Jul 16th, 2018 11:27 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3792 posts
368 upvotes

psa: google pixel on amazon is not eligible for warranty

my og XL died less than 18 months...won't even go into recovery mode nada
the agent on pixel help said the only way I can get warranty is if i provide Google Store ID...which I obviously don't have
i give them the IMEI tied to my account since April 2017 under 'Find my Device'..nope not good enough

as much as I hate apple devices (iPhone X owner) at least their service is top notch
so if you're buying pixel make sure you buy from them directly

btw: i still wanna buy the standard Pixel 3 in a few months LOL, I've read HTC hardware are just unreliable but still rolled the dice...maybe 2nd time's a charm?
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

20 replies
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
14084 posts
4950 upvotes
Oakville
Many manufacturers won't give you warranty service if you don't buy from an authorized retailer. It's always worth checking a company's warranty policy before you buy from a third party like that.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB recipient
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3792 posts
368 upvotes
Google jus t ain't any manufacturuer
and Amazon just ain't any retailer

both are juggernauts in their own space

while i agree it's good to always do some due dilligence...it's ridiculous to ask for a google store ID when you know it's unrealistic for amazon to provide internal details like that
Russell wrote:
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
14084 posts
4950 upvotes
Oakville
twitchyzero wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 12:17 pm
Google jus t ain't any manufacturuer
and Amazon just ain't any retailer

both are juggernauts in their own space

while i agree it's good to always do some due dilligence...it's ridiculous to ask for a google store ID when you know it's unrealistic for amazon to provide internal details like that
Is Amazon an authorized retailer of the Pixel? I've seen marketplace sellers selling refurbs (and sometimes new), I've never seen Amazon directly selling them though. As far as I was aware, the only place to buy a Pixel new, from an authorized retailer, was Google directly, or a carrier (through various carrier retail channels).
Jul 8, 2018
3 posts
doesn't amazon usually tell you what company your order is being shipped from? perhaps it may be worth it to message them directly on amazon
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
14084 posts
4950 upvotes
Oakville
Having said all of this - even if they provided warranty support for devices they didn't sell (they don't, and ESPECIALLY not from unauthorized resellers), the Pixel only comes with a 1 year warranty any way. So what exactly are you expecting to get them to do for you on your 18 month old phone?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3792 posts
368 upvotes
you'd be surprised how often companies wanna help if it isn't that far out of warranty especially if you bought their flagship (basically Google's first phone, the larger device and with 128GB)

i can't recall if it was a maretplace listing or not...but it was brand new and at the very least fulfilled by amazon, hence Amazon themselves will handle the customer service
Russell wrote:

Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
1645 posts
340 upvotes
Everywhere
What about the card you used to purchase it? Is there warranty on that?
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
2909 posts
377 upvotes
Markham, ON
You've got your facts mixed up, it's LG that's not reliable, not HTC. LG has had so many issues with their phones, including P2XL.

Your warranty was not honoured for most likely one of two reasons:

1. Your phone is out of warranty, which you have already admitted.
2. You purchased the phone from an unauthorized dealer. Amazon, eBay etc do not count as authorized dealers. If 3rd party, you'd have to verify if that 3rd party seller is even authorized to sell Google phones (which I doubt). Why not check your email receipt to verify?
3. Another reason is if you purchased it outside your residing country
AVOID buying dashcams from BlackBoxMyCar (BBMC) Read about their lies and unethical tactics HERE.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3792 posts
368 upvotes
^ your points are valid, but that's not the reason they used to deny me

and the 3rd party/unauthorized seller is sucha cop out. It's like best buy weaseling out of a price match.

it's not like I met some guy in the alley and traded an xbox for it.

How many of us buy big ticket items off Amazon (or fulfilled by Amazon)? Do you proactively request the manufacturer for a list of authorized dealer each time before making a purchase?

HTC has its share of widespread problems probably not of LG notoriety but definitely significant...in the og XL they had quite a few issues in the first 6 months, but not mine. I did notice the battery life became absolutely atrocious since Android 8....once with hotspot on it lasted 90 minutes SoT bahha
batcave wrote:
Jul 13th, 2018 9:56 pm
What about the card you used to purchase it? Is there warranty on that?
thought about that, have to confirm but I think I used the now-defunct amazon.ca visa which doesn't have warranty extension in the first place
Russell wrote:

Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
1645 posts
340 upvotes
Everywhere
twitchyzero wrote:
Jul 14th, 2018 6:49 am
thought about that, have to confirm but I think I used the now-defunct amazon.ca visa which doesn't have warranty extension in the first place
Even if that card has extended warranty, it wouldn't be good anymore because the card is no longer valid. Disappointed Face
Deal Addict
May 23, 2003
2158 posts
238 upvotes
Doesn’t matter where you got the phone from since the phone is clearly out of warranty period?
Your warranty has been passed by 6 months not 6 days or one month so I don’t think you will get anything from google at this point.

Apple will do the same if my phone is more than a year old with no apple care plus.
I wouldn’t even bother calling google nor expect anything other than pointing me to go to local repair shop in this case.

I’ve used google phones (straight from google play store)
And their warranty is Better than apple if your phone is under warranty.
Feel free to go buy your new pixel later this year directly from google cause they will take care of you.
I was able to get my nexus 6 (from google) exchanged for free even after 14 months when called to ask if there’s any local place where I can get a service or just pay google to fix it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3792 posts
368 upvotes
yep I've been using google devices since the Samsung Galaxy Nexus 7 years back
I will still give HTC another chance...as I largely prefer Android even after owning a 7 and X iPhone
Russell wrote:

Nov 22, 2017
55 posts
15 upvotes
I thought google extended the warranty of Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL to 2 years?
https://www.androidcentral.com/google-e ... pixel-2-xl

I agree with others, if you buy from an amazon seller/store then it's an unauthorized retailer unfortunately. Always stick to buying it directly from google or a carrier if you will be getting a new phone otherwise it's a big risk. My Nexus 6P (made by Huawei) also experienced boot loop problems 15 months after I bought it, so I was out of luck. There were several threads on reddit with people who bought directly from Google that ended up getting replacements even after their warranty was up. They wouldn't replace it after warranty if you bought from a carrier though which is not fair IMO. I'm thinking of avoiding google phones due to their high price and failures recently, it's too bad their camera is fantastic.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2010
8058 posts
776 upvotes
Pixel xl made by LG. G4 G3 G5 all bootloop software is pure garbage. That is why I never bought pixel 2 xl, nexus 5, etc. Google phone the only reliable ones are from HTC. The HTC 10 are pretty solid. Should had bought regular Pixel 2.

Nexus 6P is not good too. Only company I trust on Google phone are from HTC and Samsung. We know samsung won't make anything for google these days.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)