• Last Updated:
  • Aug 14th, 2017 12:29 pm
[OP]
Dec 26, 2007
157 posts
51 upvotes
Vancouver

PSA: If you shop amazon.com and pick up across the border

I usually buy stuff from amazon prime pantry, and never had any problems, but today I got a box that looked a bit "wet" from outside, and once opened, it was a complete mess. They did not package the shampoo well, and it pretty much exploded inside (see pictures).

To my surprise, amazon refused to refund / return, saying that because I used a freight forwarder (technically, I used a parcel pickup service in Blaine), they can't do anything about it. Here is the link with the policy:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer ... 865&sr=1-1

I feel they really dropped the ball, and will be super careful next time I shop with them, as they might refuse to refund / replace your stuff.
Images
  • IMG_5667.JPG
  • IMG_5666.JPG
Last edited by Legatinho on Aug 13th, 2017 8:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
22 replies
Deal Guru
Dec 2, 2008
11312 posts
1366 upvotes
Hot deal. Bought 3. Thanks op
[OP]
Dec 26, 2007
157 posts
51 upvotes
Vancouver
qaz393 wrote:
Aug 13th, 2017 8:06 pm
Hot deal. Bought 3. Thanks op
sorry, posted on the wrong section! my bad :(
[OP]
Dec 26, 2007
157 posts
51 upvotes
Vancouver
TransporterSD wrote:
Aug 13th, 2017 8:10 pm
Why did you tell them about freight forwarder?
I did not, I guess they saw it from my account information.
Apr 27, 2010
561 posts
190 upvotes
Not exactly a hot deal, but freight forwarders do need a PSA. When they work, they’re great. When they don’t, it’s a pain in the butt to get resolved (if you can).
May 31, 2016
348 posts
322 upvotes
Yeah, you crossed a border (which automatically cancels most warranties/return policies) and used a freight forwarder which means that Amazon was not responsible for any damage possibly done in the mailing because you hired them to do the shipping, not Amazon. You're out of luck, and for good reason. You'll have to eat the cost of that shampoo.

You could go after the fright forwarding company, but you're talking about shampoo here.
[OP]
Dec 26, 2007
157 posts
51 upvotes
Vancouver
Evendesiredusernameistaken wrote:
Aug 13th, 2017 8:20 pm
Yeah, you crossed a border (which automatically cancels most warranties/return policies) and used a freight forwarder which means that Amazon was not responsible for any damage possibly done in the mailing because you hired them to do the shipping, not Amazon. You're out of luck, and for good reason. You'll have to eat the cost of that shampoo.

You could go after the fright forwarding company, but you're talking about shampoo here.
I did not use a freight forwarder, I used a parcel pickup service, so it was damaged during shipping by UPS (under Amazon's responsibility). A lot of people do use this type of service here by going to either Blaine or Pt Roberts and picking up packages, so just want to raise awareness, as I did not know about this until today. Fortunately it's a small loss.
Deal Addict
Mar 1, 2006
1087 posts
250 upvotes
Edmonton
PSA: Amazon has policies for a reason and I am angry I violated the policy that exists for this specific reason
Sep 29, 2013
133 posts
64 upvotes
Brampton, Ontario
How hot of a deal was the shampoo to make it easier for you to buy in USD on Amazon.com, pay the pickup service and go all the way across a border to pick it up? Most would simply buy shampoo locally..
May 31, 2016
348 posts
322 upvotes
Legatinho wrote:
Aug 13th, 2017 8:33 pm
I did not use a freight forwarder, I used a parcel pickup service, so it was damaged during shipping by UPS (under Amazon's responsibility). A lot of people do use this type of service here by going to either Blaine or Pt Roberts and picking up packages, so just want to raise awareness, as I did not know about this until today. Fortunately it's a small loss.
Same difference. You set the delivery location. The location accepted the package on your behalf. The package is now outside of Amazon's control and could have been damaged by the third party intermediary that you, not Amazon, hired to handle the package.

I am not against frieght forwarders or parcel pickups. I have used the latter myself a few times. But it's at your risk, not Amazon.

Plus the border. Plus they would have refused service if they had known your end address.

It's, what, $2 of shampoo? Cost of international shopping. Should be taking account the risk this could happen when you shop like this.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2006
2005 posts
235 upvotes
Ottawa
I've bought many items and amazon has agreed to process returns when delivered to a ups store.

Tell them you have a mailbox there, or just use for package delivery. Not forwarding. It's the same as if you had po box.. Because you live in the country.. And there is no door service.

If you read their policy I don't see how what you've done falls into it. Someone misunderstood on their end. I'd escalate and ask for a manager review. And comment to manager.. Perhaps you should tweet amazon and Jeff bezos if amazon no longer delivers to UPS stores... Copying UPS on it.
I'd do a chargeback on credit card if you don't get anywhere. But you will. And it'll be fine.
May 31, 2016
348 posts
322 upvotes
shylok wrote:
Aug 13th, 2017 8:46 pm
I've bought many items and amazon has agreed to process returns when delivered to a ups store.

Tell them you have a mailbox there, or just use for package delivery. Not forwarding. It's the same as if you had po box.. Because you live in the country.. And there is no door service.

If you read their policy I don't see how what you've done falls into it. Someone misunderstood on their end. I'd escalate and ask for a manager review. And comment to manager.. Perhaps you should tweet amazon and Jeff bezos if amazon no longer delivers to UPS stores... Copying UPS on it.
I'd do a chargeback on credit card if you don't get anywhere. But you will. And it'll be fine.
...For shampoo....
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2006
2005 posts
235 upvotes
Ottawa
Evendesiredusernameistaken wrote:
Aug 13th, 2017 8:51 pm
...For shampoo....
Valid point. It's not expensive we're assuming. But this guy made a post about it.. Could be 80 bucks a bottle.
No idea. I've shipped tv's to Ups store. This was worrisome enough for me to go through the thought process.

There's people on here who drive across town and price match after arguing with management for 5$... Lol.