PSA: Installation is NOT included in Canadian Tire's online pricing

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 18th, 2020 12:31 am
Nov 29, 2013
58 posts
86 upvotes
WINDSOR

PSA: Installation is NOT included in Canadian Tire's online pricing

Maybe this is well-known, but I learned today that installation is not included in the price. I know there's a lot of hate for CT here, but 17 inch Michelin Xi2 snow tires are $150 right now on clearance (I realize they're a model behind the current Michelin snow tires, but....I don't care). Anyways, the tires are a good price so I ordered them and some steel rims. CT does charge installation though, and a "warranty" fee if you wish. The warranty fee is $12.99 per tire. The installation at one location was $27.99 per tire, and at another (literally 15 minutes away from the first) is $17.99 per tire. That's not terrible, but I do wish there was some disclaimer on the website stating this.
6 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2005
6567 posts
4487 upvotes
Toronto
Has been that way since I've known but if you ask them the installation is included the cost is for balancing.
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A

price error
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
20806 posts
6622 upvotes
London
zero216 wrote: Maybe this is well-known, but I learned today that installation is not included in the price. I know there's a lot of hate for CT here, but 17 inch Michelin Xi2 snow tires are $150 right now on clearance (I realize they're a model behind the current Michelin snow tires, but....I don't care). Anyways, the tires are a good price so I ordered them and some steel rims. CT does charge installation though, and a "warranty" fee if you wish. The warranty fee is $12.99 per tire. The installation at one location was $27.99 per tire, and at another (literally 15 minutes away from the first) is $17.99 per tire. That's not terrible, but I do wish there was some disclaimer on the website stating this.

Latitude Xi2 = Regular Xi3. They are different tire lines
Latitude Xi2 is not the same as regular Xi2

Regular road hazard warranty is included in installation. Regular warranty is prorated based on tire wear

Extra cost warranty is not prorated on wear
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
Last I remember, which was from a lonnng time ago, was that CTs pricing was basically a catch-22. Same as BeaverLiquor says. Technically speaking they include mounting and installation in the price (i.e. putting the tyres on the wheels and putting the wheels on the car) but they do not include balancing which is what they charge you for. It's a rather sneaky way to word/price things given you need to have balancing done when mounting a new/different tyre to any given wheel.

They may have changed this wording now so it states mounting is extra too but I remember it used to be rather sneaky the way they said it, at least years ago. I remember I knew a guy from a forum that used to work at CT in the shop, would tell me all kinds of funny stories. One time a guy came in and flat out refused to pay for the balancing and insisted they not balance them after mounting. They tried very hard to convince him you can't really do that but in the end he made a big stink about it and they acquiesced, did as he asked them to. Needless to say, he came back the next day...paid for the balancing LOL.

Incidentally same guy used to tell me it was totally worth it to get the "warranty certificates" since they basically replace the tyre if it fails for any reason--even a puncture will get you a new tyre or at least it used to be like that. Not pro-rated either, you just get a brand new tyres. He used to tell me people would intentionally damage tyres when they were close to wearing out, in order to get new ones. Don't know if the policy is that lenient these days though. OTOH it doesn't really help to get a single new tyre when the other three are 3/4 worn or something--which might be why people wento to lengths of doing such stuff.

Anyway you won't catch me buying tyres and having them mounted there at any time, that's for sure!
Nov 29, 2013
58 posts
86 upvotes
WINDSOR
ES_Revenge wrote: Last I remember, which was from a lonnng time ago, was that CTs pricing was basically a catch-22. Same as BeaverLiquor says. Technically speaking they include mounting and installation in the price (i.e. putting the tyres on the wheels and putting the wheels on the car) but they do not include balancing which is what they charge you for. It's a rather sneaky way to word/price things given you need to have balancing done when mounting a new/different tyre to any given wheel.

They may have changed this wording now so it states mounting is extra too but I remember it used to be rather sneaky the way they said it, at least years ago. I remember I knew a guy from a forum that used to work at CT in the shop, would tell me all kinds of funny stories. One time a guy came in and flat out refused to pay for the balancing and insisted they not balance them after mounting. They tried very hard to convince him you can't really do that but in the end he made a big stink about it and they acquiesced, did as he asked them to. Needless to say, he came back the next day...paid for the balancing LOL.

Incidentally same guy used to tell me it was totally worth it to get the "warranty certificates" since they basically replace the tyre if it fails for any reason--even a puncture will get you a new tyre or at least it used to be like that. Not pro-rated either, you just get a brand new tyres. He used to tell me people would intentionally damage tyres when they were close to wearing out, in order to get new ones. Don't know if the policy is that lenient these days though. OTOH it doesn't really help to get a single new tyre when the other three are 3/4 worn or something--which might be why people wento to lengths of doing such stuff.

Anyway you won't catch me buying tyres and having them mounted there at any time, that's for sure!
I asked them - they told me that installation is not included in the price. There's a separate installation and balancing cost.
Nov 29, 2013
58 posts
86 upvotes
WINDSOR
l69norm wrote: Latitude Xi2 = Regular Xi3. They are different tire lines
Latitude Xi2 is not the same as regular Xi2

Regular road hazard warranty is included in installation. Regular warranty is prorated based on tire wear

Extra cost warranty is not prorated on wear
Right, sorry I got the Latitude Xi2 tires - but the X-Ice tires have replaced these.