Shopping Discussion

PSA - Make sure your phone number actually linked to your PC Optimum account (for Esso, etc)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 18th, 2019 4:57 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2003
9362 posts
952 upvotes
GTA

PSA - Make sure your phone number actually linked to your PC Optimum account (for Esso, etc)

So, I went into the station yesterday for the first time in ages to pre-pay for gas since my speedpass didn't work at that particular point. I have a corporate Speedpass so I can't link loyalty so I entered my phone number for optimum on the POS terminal like I normally do. The clerk said that it came up with an message saying to call PC Optimum. I don't recall there ever being an error before. I checked this morning and sure enough I didn't have the point earned at Esso. I hardly ever verify my point accumulation (probably first mistake) so I went back and realized I wasn't getting any of my PC Optimum points (the Esso bill doesn't actually print out the number of points earned/balance).

The first agent I talked to told me that my phone number was on my profile and it shouldn't have been a problem. He gave me the points from my last receipt (which I still had) but I don't have the individual receipts so I couldn't go back and earn further back (with receipt he said he could go back 45 days).

Anyway, I complained that I had been using my PC Optimum card (my phone number) since the launch at Esso (August) and never earned any points. He was going to check with someone but I got disconnected (i.e he probably hung up or tech issue on his end). I called back and talked to another agent and they ended up telling me my number was NOT linked correctly. It was in my profile but not where it needed to be updated. I was told I could do it on the website/app so I am going to do that now.

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up in case they think they are earning PC Optimum points but they aren't.

I ended up getting some "courtesy" points from her but I am guessing a lot of people are blindly entering their phone number not realizing they need to go over and above and actually link their phone number to be able to earn PCO with it.
7 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2005
2284 posts
74 upvotes
Am I reading this correctly?

"I have a corporate Speedpass" -> Do you run a business (e.g. incorporated)? Or, is your Speedpass provided by your Employer (I.e. belongs to your Employer)?
If it's the latter, that would explain a lot. e.g. If the SpeedPass belongs to your Employer, the person who setup the account may have registered the SpeedPass against an Esso Extra card. You cannot double-dip between the two programs.
Last edited by sw1ft on Jan 18th, 2019 10:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dec 14, 2010
269 posts
202 upvotes
Montreal
YLSF wrote:
Jan 18th, 2019 9:55 am
It was in my profile but not where it needed to be updated.
Thanks for the heads up! Would you mind clarifying what you mean by "in my profile but not where it needed to be updated". What step did you take to fix it?

Thank you!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2003
9362 posts
952 upvotes
GTA
sw1ft wrote:
Jan 18th, 2019 10:17 am
Am I reading this correctly?

"I have a corporate Speedpass" -> Do you run a business (e.g. incorporated)?
It is my own small business.

They actually won't let you register the business Speedpass to a loyalty card. I have tried before . I use it so I don't need to swipe my Esso card as well (I am using a fleet card).
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2003
9362 posts
952 upvotes
GTA
sebastienbilodeau wrote:
Jan 18th, 2019 10:23 am
What step did you take to fix it?
If you follow the "How to add a phone number to your account" under the FAQ that should resolved it
https://www.esso.ca/en/pc-optimum-faq

Basically 5 lines down or so on the FAQ either via website or app.

PC Optimum had my phone number, it on my account, but, it wasn't "linked" as a card kind of thing. Basically they said I needed to enter it myself into my profile to be able to use it .

The added benefit is it looks like a teller at SDM or Loblaws stores could look up now based on my phone number too.

The first agent didn't even realize that my phone number wasn't correctly linked so I am glad that I talked to the 2nd agent and went into the app and made sure to add my number under there.
Dec 14, 2010
269 posts
202 upvotes
Montreal
YLSF wrote:
Jan 18th, 2019 10:47 am
If you follow the "How to add a phone number to your account" under the FAQ that should resolved it
https://www.esso.ca/en/pc-optimum-faq

Basically 5 lines down or so on the FAQ either via website or app.

PC Optimum had my phone number, it on my account, but, it wasn't "linked" as a card kind of thing. Basically they said I needed to enter it myself into my profile to be able to use it .

The added benefit is it looks like a teller at SDM or Loblaws stores could look up now based on my phone number too.

The first agent didn't even realize that my phone number wasn't correctly linked so I am glad that I talked to the 2nd agent and went into the app and made sure to add my number under there.
Considering I have the app on my phone, and I don't like to share my mobile phone number, I wonder if I could use my home number and still be linked properly in the app...
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
8608 posts
6026 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
sebastienbilodeau wrote:
Jan 18th, 2019 11:16 am
Considering I have the app on my phone, and I don't like to share my mobile phone number, I wonder if I could use my home number and still be linked properly in the app...
Don’t see why not.
It’s just looking for a contact number... in the same way your PCO Profile Page has your email address & mailing address

The only thing that might be advantageous to logging your cellphone number is if they finally roll out the Instore Notifications feature with the App. Where you allow your phone to tell the App when you are in a PCO Member Location (Store / Gas Station) and then the App PUSHES a personal Offer to you to consider / use
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
8608 posts
6026 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
sebastienbilodeau wrote:
Jan 18th, 2019 10:23 am
Thanks for the heads up! Would you mind clarifying what you mean by "in my profile but not where it needed to be updated". What step did you take to fix it?

Thank you!
The phone number info goes into your PCO Profile Page.

Under ACCOUNT / SETTINGS. Can be done on either the website or app.