• Jul 17th, 2017 4:27 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2011
1780 posts
441 upvotes
Calgary

PSA for Mid 2012/Early 2013 15" Retina MacBook Pro Owners

If your MacBook has the service battery warning, you may be able to get a newer refurb MacBook as a replacement for the cost of the battery replacement. Until September, Apple has constraints on the part needed to replace the battery for Mid 2012/Early 2013 15" rMBP. If you go to the Apple store to replace the battery on one of these two models, they will give you a couple choices:

1. Wait until September and the replacement for the battery will be free.

2. Pay extra to have them replace the whole topcase.

3. Pay the cost of the repair and receive a refurb MacBook in exchange for yours.

With my experience, I was quoted two different prices for option 2 and 3 at two different Apple Stores. The first Apple store quoted me $600 and the second Apple store quoted me $368. I agreed to the $368 to replace my MacBook and today I received a call from the store letting me know the cost of the replacement will only be the cost of the battery replacement which is $259.

I am waiting for it to arrive at the store but I will be getting a refurb Mid 2015 15" rMBP 2.5GHz/16GB RAM/512GB SSD/Intel Iris Pro Graphics & AMD Radeon R9 M370X for my replacement and it only cost me $259+tax! The MacBook will have a 1 year warranty and the option to extend it with AppleCare.

This is not a one time thing, the constraint is worldwide. There's a thread on Reddit about it which is how I heard about the replacements and I tried it for myself.
3 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
14117 posts
2350 upvotes
Toronto
Nice! I love it when Apple does stuff like this.

Back in 2009 I had a 2.8 GHz 27" iMac with stock 4 GB RAM. I added 4 GB thirty party RAM to bring it to 8 GB. The machine broke and I took it in, and they replaced it with a 2.93 GHz 27" iMac with 2 x 4 GB RAM, leaving two slots free, plus they gave me the still working hard drive from the old machine. I also got a new wireless keyboard and wireless mouse out of it, since the new machine had them in the box.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2008
1410 posts
221 upvotes
Vancouver
mchuong wrote:
Jun 8th, 2017 11:20 pm
If your MacBook has the service battery warning, you may be able to get a newer refurb MacBook as a replacement for the cost of the battery replacement. Until September, Apple has constraints on the part needed to replace the battery for Mid 2012/Early 2013 15" rMBP. If you go to the Apple store to replace the battery on one of these two models, they will give you a couple choices:

1. Wait until September and the replacement for the battery will be free.

2. Pay extra to have them replace the whole topcase.

3. Pay the cost of the repair and receive a refurb MacBook in exchange for yours.

With my experience, I was quoted two different prices for option 2 and 3 at two different Apple Stores. The first Apple store quoted me $600 and the second Apple store quoted me $368. I agreed to the $368 to replace my MacBook and today I received a call from the store letting me know the cost of the replacement will only be the cost of the battery replacement which is $259.

I am waiting for it to arrive at the store but I will be getting a refurb Mid 2015 15" rMBP 2.5GHz/16GB RAM/512GB SSD/Intel Iris Pro Graphics & AMD Radeon R9 M370X for my replacement and it only cost me $259+tax! The MacBook will have a 1 year warranty and the option to extend it with AppleCare.

This is not a one time thing, the constraint is worldwide. There's a thread on Reddit about it which is how I heard about the replacements and I tried it for myself.
Which store did you take it to? I just took my 2012 to an Apple Store and they told me to come back in September. Tried two different stores. I will be going to Calgary next week, so I might hit up the same store.
Head-Fi Feedback (18)
eBay Feedback (79)
Brown ahead for Bure. Bure going in.. he scores! Pavel Bure has won it for the Vancouver Canucks! It's a triple overtime hat-trick for Vancouver!
- Western Conference Quarter-Final Game 7, April 30, 1994
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2011
1780 posts
441 upvotes
Calgary
berniebennybernard wrote:
Jul 15th, 2017 5:55 pm
Which store did you take it to? I just took my 2012 to an Apple Store and they told me to come back in September. Tried two different stores. I will be going to Calgary next week, so I might hit up the same store.
Chinook Centre, good luck. The replacement takes a few weeks to arrive, not sure if you'll still be in the city for that long.