• Jan 17th, 2018 3:31 pm
Deal Guru
Feb 4, 2015
10331 posts
6696 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!

PSA: Public Mobile raising legacy prepaid plans

Did search and did not find any post.

Just got text that PM is raising my monthly plan.

Have Canada wide phone and global text initially at $25 that went to $28 and now up by $5 to $33 in mid February!!

Time to change!! Just need phone and text... data optional.

Maybe 90 day province wide with global text and 1.5GB at 3g for $90??

Anyone can chime in how well 3g works with Google hangouts or Whatsapp in terms of audio calls? That way can call across Canada and beyond.
Last edited by georvu on Jan 10th, 2018 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2022/3: BOC raised 10 times and MCAP raised its prime next day.
2017,2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime next day each time.
2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited to drop its prime to include all 3 drops.
19 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2005
5701 posts
3662 upvotes
GTA
If you don't need Canada wide, definitely switch to one of their in market plans.

Did the same thing for my dad. He was on the same $25 Canada wide plan for a while. Switched to the province wide + global text. + 1.5gb 3g data. He didn't need Nationwide calling anyway.

Since he was already a public mobile customer for 3 years, he got credited with 3 years worth of loyalty discounts. So, he probably pays around $27/month taxes in now
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
21223 posts
6990 upvotes
GTA
These are the plans that still include call support and not the newer plans that only have email and forum support?
Deal Guru
Feb 4, 2015
10331 posts
6696 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
coriolis wrote: These are the plans that still include call support and not the newer plans that only have email and forum support?
Yup. Don't need that really so will stay with PM on another plan or perhaps other telco. Need monthly prepaid plan with unlimited talk [province or Canada] and int'l text [presently get mms and sms].

Hopefully other folks with non legacy plans will chime in if got any increase text.
2017,2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime next day each time.
2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited to drop its prime to include all 3 drops.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2013
6493 posts
3282 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
georvu wrote: Yup. Don't need that really so will stay with PM on another plan or perhaps other telco. Need monthly prepaid plan with unlimited talk [province or Canada] and int'l text [presently get mms and sms].

Hopefully other folks with non legacy plans will chime in if got any increase text.
That sucks, did you get an offer to move to Koodo at no cost like the last time they increased the prices? It is clear they're nudging people off of Legacy Public plans in order to shut down the call center, or whatever employee(s) are left of it.
¯\_(-.-)_/¯ A wise RFD'er once said, "Buy now, think later."

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Behold!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 14, 2003
6675 posts
5466 upvotes
LaLaLand
georvu wrote: Anyone can chime in how well 3g works with Google hangouts or Whatsapp in terms of audio calls? That way can call across Canada and beyond.
I use Hangouts (and Google Voice). Voice calls do not work very well at 3G speeds because what you get is not necessarily the top 3G speed.
Deal Guru
Feb 4, 2015
10331 posts
6696 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
dealseaker101 wrote: That sucks, did you get an offer to move to Koodo at no cost like the last time they increased the prices? It is clear they're nudging people off of Legacy Public plans in order to shut down the call center, or whatever employee(s) are left of it.
Yes, similar offer like prior.

Heck, at least give option to keep plan with no cs call in support.
Deal Guru
Feb 4, 2015
10331 posts
6696 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
batcave wrote: I use Hangouts (and Google Voice). Voice calls do not work very well at 3G speeds because what you get is not necessarily the top 3G speed.
Does texting work ok on 3G, specifically Hangouts?

Tried anything else besides Hangouts and GV?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 14, 2003
6675 posts
5466 upvotes
LaLaLand
georvu wrote: Does texting work ok on 3G, specifically Hangouts?

Tried anything else besides Hangouts and GV?
For texts, Hangouts works fine on 3G.

GV is my primary phone service. I've tried several others, but GV is the best voice quality. It's as good, if not better, than a regular cell quality. IMHO, it is better because it works on wifi.

PS. If you're looking to reduce costs and go data only, this thread has good ideas,

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/wip-fid ... n-2142620/
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2013
6084 posts
1868 upvotes
Manila, Philippines
WoW move to FM .
FreedomMobile 35% Friends & Family
Deal Guru
Feb 4, 2015
10331 posts
6696 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Got about month to decide... PM says similar plan so not sure what exactly Koodo plan is.

My hesitation to move to Koodo is that with PM have prepaid plan... new Koodo plan would be post paid.

Maybe just go to PM 90 day province talk and global text for $75 so actually $3 monthly savings BUT lose Canada wide calling although could add $8 200 mins long distance calling and mins roll over... decisions, decisions!!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2013
6493 posts
3282 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
georvu wrote: Got about month to decide... PM says similar plan so not sure what exactly Koodo plan is.

My hesitation to move to Koodo is that with PM have prepaid plan... new Koodo plan would be post paid.

Maybe just go to PM 90 day province talk and global text for $75 so actually $3 monthly savings BUT lose Canada wide calling although could add $8 200 mins long distance calling and mins roll over... decisions, decisions!!
Don't forget, you'll qualify for a monthly loyalty discount, $1 for every year you've been a PM customer (up to 5 years). Double check with a moderator on their forum.
¯\_(-.-)_/¯ A wise RFD'er once said, "Buy now, think later."

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Behold!
Deal Guru
Feb 4, 2015
10331 posts
6696 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
dealseaker101 wrote: Don't forget, you'll qualify for a monthly loyalty discount, $1 for every year you've been a PM customer (up to 5 years). Double check with a moderator on their forum.
Thanks.
Not sure legacy plans are eligible for that.

Who can earn Rewards?

Only Public Mobile customers (i) on Rewards eligible plans, and (ii) who have active accounts in good standing:

Rate Plan eligibility:

All in-market plans as of January 27, 2015 are eligible for Rewards except for the 10-day plans that are not eligible for Rewards. Plans offered during between May 9, 2014 and January 27, 2015 are no longer in market and not eligible for Rewards.

Customer status eligibility:

Your account must be active and in good standing in order to earn Rewards. This means that your account cannot be in suspended (due to non-payment or if you suspended your service yourself due to lost or stolen phone) or deactivated status. For example, if you receive your Rewards and then go into expired status immediately after because you did not make a payment on time, you will not be able to use your Rewards. The Rewards can only be used once you add sufficient funds to your account to pay for you plan and become active again.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2005
5701 posts
3662 upvotes
GTA
I mentioned that in my post above. My dad got credited with the years he was on his legacy plan. Right now, he gets $3 off per month. Should be $4 soon I think.
Deal Guru
Feb 4, 2015
10331 posts
6696 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Dave98 wrote: I mentioned that in my post above. My dad got credited with the years he was on his legacy plan. Right now, he gets $3 off per month. Should be $4 soon I think.

Ahh, so guess they start from 2015.

Wasn't sure if $25 plan [then $28] was considered in market plan AND got plan if I recall correctly during "Plans offered during between May 9, 2014 and January 27, 2015 are no longer in market and not eligible for Rewards."

Thanks.
Nov 9, 2014
576 posts
261 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Hot on the heels of Bell increasing legacy plans the telecom Public Mobile is increasing legacy rate plans.

If you have any of these plans, expect a rate increase in the near future:

$22 Province-Wide Talk
$28 Canada-Wide Talk + Text
$43 Canada-Wide Talk + Text + 1GB Data
$48 Canadian & U.S. Talk + Text + 1GB Data
$63 Canadian & U.S. Talk + Text + 2GB Data

Effective February 15th plans will be changed to:

$25 Province-Wide Talk
$33 Canada-Wide Talk + Text
$45 Canada-Wide Talk + Text + 1GB Data
$50 Canadian & U.S. Talk + Text + 1GB Data
$65 Canadian & U.S. Talk + Text + 2GB Data

Meanwhile, if customers want to keep their plan they have the option of going to Koodo. Just show them your plan and what you have now, show them two pieces of identification and you'll get hooked up. Customers will be paying for the same rate but may not be able to switch to the same features as what Public Mobile had.
Last edited by PhonesGuy on Jan 15th, 2018 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Virgin Mobile $75 | 10GB Unl.| Unl. Canada Wide | Unlimited Text/Pic Msg | 75.00

Don't forget to hit the THANKS button if I've helped. Have a Great Day!
Deal Expert
Jan 12, 2017
23019 posts
6890 upvotes
Scarberia
does this mean that 90 day 120$ 12gb LTE promo plan gets raised as well? i was paying like 111$ for it! had that autopay and some loyalty discount 9$ discount! but now im switching over to FM! 72$ per month 10gb LTE + free iphone 8plus but 2 yr contract!
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2007
11213 posts
10058 upvotes
Kootenays
mikka2017 wrote: does this mean that 90 day 120$ 12gb LTE promo plan gets raised as well? i was paying like 111$ for it! had that autopay and some loyalty discount 9$ discount! but now im switching over to FM! 72$ per month 10gb LTE + free iphone 8plus but 2 yr contract!
No, this is for legacy plans.
Aug 8, 2012
187 posts
125 upvotes
Toronto
PhonesGuy wrote: Hot on the heels of Bell increasing legacy plans the telecom Public Mobile is increasing legacy rate plans.

If you have any of these plans, expect a rate increase in the near future:

$22 Province-Wide Talk
$28 Canada-Wide Talk + Text
$43 Canada-Wide Talk + Text + 1GB Data
$48 Canadian & U.S. Talk + Text + 1GB Data
$63 Canadian & U.S. Talk + Text + 2GB Data

Effective February 15th plans will be changed to:

$25 Province-Wide Talk
$33 Canada-Wide Talk + Text
$45 Canada-Wide Talk + Text + 1GB Data
$50 Canadian & U.S. Talk + Text + 1GB Data
$65 Canadian & U.S. Talk + Text + 2GB Data

Meanwhile, if customers want to keep their plan they have the option of going to Koodo. Just show them your plan and what you have now, show them two pieces of identification and you'll get hooked up. Customers will be paying for the same rate but may not be able to switch to the same features as what Public Mobile had.
If you have the $22 Province-Wide Talk plan with Public Mobile, switching to Koodoo will change it to $22 Canada-Wide Talk + Unlimited International Text. That's a really good deal

https://mobilesyrup.com/2018/01/15/publ ... ers-koodo/

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)