Cell Phones

$10 Free Account Credit with Activation of Public Mobile Service (for new customer being referred)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 21st, 2019 8:46 pm
[OP]
Mar 10, 2019
485 posts
329 upvotes

$10 Free Account Credit with Activation of Public Mobile Service (for new customer being referred)

Public Mobile has an ongoing offer available to new customers. While sim cards cost $10, you can get that back as an account credit in your newly activated Public Mobile account if you are referred to Public Mobile by a friend.

Unlike some other promotions, this one has no set expiry date, and is available for all Public Mobile activation channels including both online activation and retail activations. This means that there's no need to try to convince the person at the store to sell the sim card without activation. You can activate there and still get the $10 credit for being referred to the service by a friend.

Public Mobile has some very good plans starting from $10, details which can be found at https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/plans

Sim cards can be ordered from directly from Public Mobile's website of https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-started , or they can be purchase at participating Walmart, The Mobile Shop, London Drugs, Wow! Mobile, and K Mobile locations.

Please do not post phone numbers asking people to use you as a referral and don't ask people to refer you in this publicly viewable thread.
17 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2005
1146 posts
498 upvotes
Earth
Sleepyzz wrote:
Mar 21st, 2019 6:38 pm
How do you get the credit?
Activate a Public Mobile line (online or in-store) with a referral.
Last edited by Oatmeal on Mar 21st, 2019 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zoomer Wireless: $45 6GB 4G LTE
Public Mobile
[OP]
Mar 10, 2019
485 posts
329 upvotes
Sleepyzz wrote:
Mar 21st, 2019 6:38 pm
How do you get the credit?
You simply sign up to Public Mobile's service. During the activation, the activation site will ask if you were referred by a friend. If you are activating in-store, make sure that you tell the employee this and they will input your friend's phone number. The $10 credit will be deposited into the new customer's account within 72 hours, and it happens automatically.
Jan 27, 2007
533 posts
359 upvotes
This has always been there.
But till March 31, you get $25 instead of $10 for the referral if you do it online, so you still have to buy the sim first.
[OP]
Mar 10, 2019
485 posts
329 upvotes
Zaptor99 wrote:
Mar 21st, 2019 6:43 pm
This has always been there.
But till March 31, you get $25 instead of $10 for the referral if you do it online, so you still have to buy the sim first.
There hasn't always been a $10 credit available, and I suspect that many people don't know about it. Also, what happens when the $25 offer expires? People will be more than happy to get $10 compared to $0.
Jul 29, 2007
509 posts
163 upvotes
North America
This is not a limited time offer, it's the regular offer for referring people.
The plan activation credit is available if you are still looking for yourself.
I use PM as my "main" line as I am self employed and work at home or remotely.

I myself have both my parents on the $10 ($8 after $2 auto pay discount)
My sisters - both are on the $15 ($13 after $2 auto pay discount)
My wife and I are on the $25 ($23 after $2 auto pay discount)

$10 50 minutes/50 international text is a basic phone plan for emergency or very light user (ie, seniors)
$15 100 minutes/unlimited international text/250mb is a great starter plan for students/general users
$25 unlimited minutes/unlimited international text/1gb is awesome for everyday use as the main phone

Basically, until Mar 31, for new customers, if you sign up with a referral public mobile number, both you and the referrer will receive $25 account credit which will be added to your account within 72 hours.

To sign up for the $25 referral:
- Buy a Public Mobile SIM these retailers: London Drugs, Walmart, Mobile Shop (Superstore), Wow Mobile
- At home, activate your account online - https://activate.publicmobile.ca/
- Enter the referral number code in the Referral box during activation
Thank you RFD community for helping me with spending money, I feel so poor now!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
8033 posts
2344 upvotes
Toronto
In the other thread about the $25 referral, it said not to do the activation at the store when getting the SIM card, but take it away (buy for $10) and activate yourself with the referral.

We just bought 3 SIM cards from Walmart earlier (before seeing this thread)
[OP]
Mar 10, 2019
485 posts
329 upvotes
Saltywetguy wrote:
Mar 21st, 2019 6:47 pm
This is not a limited time offer, it's the regular offer for referring people.
The plan activation credit is available if you are still looking for yourself.
I use PM as my "main" line as I am self employed and work at home or remotely.

I myself have both my parents on the $10 ($8 after $2 auto pay discount)
My sisters - both are on the $15 ($13 after $2 auto pay discount)
My wife and I are on the $25 ($23 after $2 auto pay discount)

$10 50 minutes/50 international text is a basic phone plan for emergency or very light user (ie, seniors)
$15 100 minutes/unlimited international text/250mb is a great starter plan for students/general users
$25 unlimited minutes/unlimited international text/1gb is awesome for everyday use as the main phone

Basically, until Mar 31, for new customers, if you sign up with a referral public mobile number, both you and the referrer will receive $25 account credit which will be added to your account within 72 hours.

To sign up for the $25 referral:
- Buy a Public Mobile SIM these retailers: London Drugs, Walmart, Mobile Shop (Superstore), Wow Mobile
- At home, activate your account online - https://activate.publicmobile.ca/
- Enter the referral number code in the Referral box during activation
I realize that this is an ongoing offer, but there are going to be people who do not know about it. The advantage of this one is that people don't have to be in a rush to activate, it will always be available, and can be combined with any of Public Mobile's plans and usually with other offers, is applicable to new sign ups on any plan, and can also be done in-store or online.
Jul 14, 2018
801 posts
488 upvotes
Kitchener-Waterloo
Beware with these referrals

"we'll take $1 off your payment every 30 days for every friend you refer for as long as they stay with us"

^ So whoever is referring you will get the $25 plus $1 off their monthly bill
Last edited by NowJoJo on Mar 21st, 2019 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gaming: i5 4570, GTX 1070 8gb, 16GB RAM
Media: i5 6400, GTX 1070 8gb, 16GB RAM
Everyday: i5 6400, GTX 1060 6gb, 8GB RAM
Phone: iPhone 8 64gb, Freedom - Freedom 250mb
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
17993 posts
6026 upvotes
Toronto
NowJoJo wrote:
Mar 21st, 2019 6:53 pm
Isn't the $25 better?
Yes.
Koodo $40/6GB
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB
Fido $7.50/3GB+tablet
Rogers $25 500U home internet
Tangerine Bank
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2005
1146 posts
498 upvotes
Earth
NowJoJo wrote:
Mar 21st, 2019 6:53 pm
Beware with these referrals

"we'll take $1 off your payment every 30 days for every friend you refer for as long as they stay with us"

^ So whoever is referring you will get the $25 plus $1 off their monthly bill
Beware? Is there some threat of identity theft, loss of privacy? Smiling Face With Sunglasses

If you don't want to activate with a referral, no problem, Public Mobile will gladly sign you up without a referral - it saves them cash money that they won't have to credit to the referrer (talking about the $1 per month). Leaves them more financial resources to shore up their website etc.

Peace brother!
Zoomer Wireless: $45 6GB 4G LTE
Public Mobile
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2006
2996 posts
2334 upvotes
Muskoka
To the OPs point, this $10 credit only came effect a few months ago, well certainly less than a year. But it is permanent. It was designed to offset the cost of the sim.

If there is a free sim promo, you still get the credit if referred.

You do not get if you instead get the $25 referral credit when that promo is running, like now.

This thread may be better suited for the discussion forum.
Last edited by spotts01 on Mar 21st, 2019 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Koodo
Public Mobile
[OP]
Mar 10, 2019
485 posts
329 upvotes
Oatmeal wrote:
Mar 21st, 2019 7:02 pm
Beware? Is there some threat of identity theft, loss of privacy? Smiling Face With Sunglasses

If you don't want to activate with a referral, no problem, Public Mobile will gladly sign you up without a referral - it saves them cash money that they won't have to credit to the referrer (talking about the $1 per month). Leaves them more financial resources to shore up their website etc.

Peace brother!
Sim cards probably cost very little to manufacture and for Public Mobile to purchase. So, I see this as really just costing Public Mobile $1 to gain a new customer.
[OP]
Mar 10, 2019
485 posts
329 upvotes
spotts01 wrote:
Mar 21st, 2019 7:04 pm
To the OPs point, this $10 credit only came effect a few months ago, well certainly less than a year. But it is permanent. It was designed to offset the cost of the sim.

If there is a free sim promo, you still get the credit if referred.

You do not get if you instead get the $25 referral credit when that promo is running, like now.

This thread may be better suited for the discussion forum.
Some retailers routinely give them away for free if you activate there. That isn't guaranteed, but if that happens, that's equivalent to $20 because of the $10 credit plus the $10 for the sim card that you never paid. They'll sometimes do this even when there is no advertised promotion.