[Public Mobile] $25 Referral credit for both parties until Mar 31

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 22nd, 2019 8:16 am
May 30, 2013
188 posts
201 upvotes
chhotadon wrote:
Feb 17th, 2019 5:25 pm
Still doubtful if you will receive the $25 as there must be a way PM differentiate online vs in store activations. If the store rep claimed your activation to earn a few bucks commission, that might show as in store activation. So you might get $10 instead of $25. But i am curious to know what will happen.
The Rep allowed me to use his computer and through a browser I filled in all the information. This is how I would have also done it at home. The Rep also called the store manager to ask if the customer can use the browser to activate and could still get the free sim, the store manager said OK.
Nov 19, 2017
456 posts
332 upvotes
Vancouver
kylin18 wrote:
Feb 17th, 2019 5:14 pm
Went to Walmart, activated 2 lines, got 2 FREE sim card and Rep called public mobile (I know they don't have CS, but Walmart had a special number) and was able to confirm I can get the $25 credit + $10 off for 6 months (on top of the free sim). Use the same method to activate as I would have done it at home through a browser.
kylin18 wrote:
Feb 17th, 2019 6:42 pm
The Rep allowed me to use his computer and through a browser I filled in all the information. This is how I would have also done it at home. The Rep also called the store manager to ask if the customer can use the browser to activate and could still get the free sim, the store manager said OK.
That's exactly what happened to many people. The argument was always the same - it was done online (via website) at Walmart! :(

https://productioncommunity.publicmobil ... d-p/297089

Anyway, you got free sim card, so you only lose $5 plus tax amount, $0 (sim card) +$10 (referral) at Walmart instead of -$10 (sim card) + $25 (referral) online at home.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2005
9794 posts
9001 upvotes
kylin18 wrote:
The problem is the WM computer. If PM system think that you activated from plan from WM computer, you will not get the $25 bill credit.
PM system has not way to know that you activated yourself.
You should use your mobile data(not using WM wifi) on your phone browser to access the online activation page.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Koodo $30 plan, PM $38 5GB plan, PM $8 plan to replace Speakout,
Zoomer loyalty family plan for 4 lines $117/6GB, $0 FPL home phone
Feb 13, 2019
14 posts
5 upvotes
kylin18 wrote:
The Walmart phone people actually don't work for Walmart do they? I thought they were a 3rd party in stores, so not sure why calling the store manager to ask permission about something that they probably don't even care about. I have been reading over at Public and what people are saying here is over there a lot. If in store no one got the $25. Trying to think why the phone guy at Walmart would give a free sim and let you activate to get the $25 and he would get absolutely nothing out of it. Not even a sale of the sim
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2010
1918 posts
1926 upvotes
kylin18 wrote:
We log in to TELUS and then into the Public portal. The Public activation website looks identical except it has the reps info at the top in an orange bar. They know which activations are done through store because of that.

If you get the $25, you got lucky. Chances are you won’t get it, though.

EDIT:
If the rep used the normal website for you (without logging in to Telus), I guess you would still get the credit but she would lose the activation because she did the process wrong.
If her rep info isn't there, it doesn't count as a sale for her so she'd get a clawback on the commission and sale.
Last edited by NavieM on Feb 17th, 2019 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Koodo, Fido, Telus, Public Mobile, Virgin customer.
May 30, 2013
188 posts
201 upvotes
NavieM wrote:
Feb 17th, 2019 7:44 pm
We log in to TELUS and then into the Public portal. The Public activation website looks identical except it has the reps info at the top in an orange bar. They know which activations are done through store because of that.

If you get the $25, you got lucky. Chances are you won’t get it, though.
When I asked the Rep, she opened a new browser and went to the public mobile forum where the $25 credit was discussed (this page: https://productioncommunity.publicmobil ... d-p/297089), on this page if you see the post by Jarvar, there is a link to activate.publicmobile.ca, then the Rep click on that link, which then opened the public mobile activate page. She didn't log on to some Telus page or something. Once on the public mobile activate page, she allowed me to fill in all the information and got my activation done.
Nov 19, 2017
456 posts
332 upvotes
Vancouver
kylin18 wrote:
Feb 17th, 2019 7:50 pm
When I asked the Rep, she opened a new browser and went to the public mobile forum where the $25 credit was discussed (this page: https://productioncommunity.publicmobil ... d-p/297089), on this page if you see the post by Jarvar, there is a link to activate.publicmobile.ca, then the Rep click on that link, which then opened the public mobile activate page. She didn't log on to some Telus page or something. Once on the public mobile activate page, she allowed me to fill in all the information and got my activation done.
So, she just gave you a free SIM card for nothing.
Jul 12, 2013
312 posts
168 upvotes
Halifax
kylin18 wrote:
Let us know your update tomorrow on what credit you received, its way easier that way...
May 30, 2013
188 posts
201 upvotes
Also got a receipt with charge for the $10 sim card, then overridden to $0.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2005
9794 posts
9001 upvotes
kylin18 wrote:
That is the tactic used by WM rep. The activation page is the same. But WM computer was login to the PM retail partner before you did your activation on the WM computer. Your activation will be treated as activation in-store. We will know the result within 72 hours after activation. But you will receive your referral credit usually next morning after activation.

I am hoping your get the $25 credit. But from many unexpected PM subscribers' posts at the PM community forum. Your story was told by the new subscribers are exactly the same as you described.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2005
9794 posts
9001 upvotes
kylin18 wrote:
Feb 17th, 2019 8:06 pm
Also got a receipt with charge for the $10 sim card, then overridden to $0.
Do you have the $25 referral credit in writing from your WM rep? I hope that you do.
If yes, you can go back to ask for the difference between $25 credit and you actually gets. Talk to WM store manager if the the WM rep refuses to compensate you. I think you should not let the WM rep off the hook that easy so that the same rep will not pull the same trick to another PM subscriber.

But you will wait for 72 hours after activation before going back to WM.
Nov 19, 2017
456 posts
332 upvotes
Vancouver
embguy wrote:
Feb 17th, 2019 8:24 pm
Do you have the $25 referral credit in writing from your WM rep? I hope that you do.
If yes, you can go back to ask for the difference between $25 credit and you actually gets. Talk to WM store manager if the the WM rep refuses to compensate you. I think you should not let the WM rep off the hook that easy so that the same rep will not pull the same trick to another PM subscriber.

But you will wait for 72 hours after activation before going back to WM.
Still, the referrer's $25 is at risk.

I don't know why people take this risk. Even if @kylin18 were to receive $25, it should be one time aberration caused by Walmart rep's mistake. No rep would give out a free SIM card from their stock.

Again, Online activation is online activation on YOUR computer, cell, tablet, etc. To be safe, order a SIM card at https://store.publicmobile.ca/cart/ and activate at https://activate.publicmobile.ca/ .

It only takes one day (regional) or two days (national) by Canada Post Xpresspost.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2005
9794 posts
9001 upvotes
slpless wrote:
Feb 17th, 2019 8:56 pm
Still, the referrer's $25 is at risk.

I don't know why people take this risk. Even if @kylin18 were to receive $25, it should be one time aberration caused by Walmart rep's mistake. No rep would give out a free SIM card from their stock.

Again, Online activation is online activation on YOUR computer, cell, tablet, etc. To be safe, order a SIM card at https://store.publicmobile.ca/cart/ and activate at https://activate.publicmobile.ca/ .

It only takes one day (regional) or two days (national) by Canada Post Xpresspost.
Agree. The referrer $25 will take the hit if the referee activates instore.
It is partly the referrer's fault to let the referee to do its own thing. Referrer should educate the referee to activate online.
May 30, 2013
188 posts
201 upvotes
embguy wrote:
Feb 17th, 2019 10:07 pm
Agree. The referrer $25 will take the hit if the referee activates instore.
It is partly the referrer's fault to let the referee to do its own thing. Referrer should educate the referee to activate online.
Received $25 for both activations.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2005
9794 posts
9001 upvotes
kylin18 wrote:
Feb 18th, 2019 4:56 am
Received $25 for both activations.
I am happy for you. This is the first WM activation with happy ending.

Thread Information

There are currently 10 users viewing this thread. (3 members and 7 guests)

Franchise10, Spiderpal93, tor98