Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Public Mobile

$25 Referral credit for both parties until Mar 31

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 20th, 2019 1:32 pm
Banned
Nov 23, 2018
592 posts
516 upvotes
I have been with Public Mobile for almost a year now. I find the 3G speed is good enough for everyday use. However, sometimes I needed the speed boost (don’t ask me what), so I switched to the $62 dollar for 6 GB at LTE speed.

It has been 2 days, and my speed is still at 3G. Anyone know when the new speed will take effect?
Please don’t mention the turn off LTE and use the actual 3G network to break through the throttle. It looks good on paper and speed test, but it is horribly slow in real world use.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
13460 posts
12205 upvotes
BRKAMZN wrote: I have been with Public Mobile for almost a year now. I find the 3G speed is good enough for everyday use. However, sometimes I needed the speed boost (don’t ask me what), so I switched to the $62 dollar for 6 GB at LTE speed.

It has been 2 days, and my speed is still at 3G. Anyone know when the new speed will take effect?
Please don’t mention the turn off LTE and use the actual 3G network to break through the throttle. It looks good on paper and speed test, but it is horribly slow in real world use.
Restart your phone may help.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Public Mobile $34 15GB, $11 250MB, 2x $5 50min/50text, $0 FPL home phone,
Fido $5 4GB plan with a free tablet.
Banned
Nov 23, 2018
592 posts
516 upvotes
embguy wrote: Restart your phone may help.
Been there and done that for like 10 times.
Any other tips?
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2014
1657 posts
2172 upvotes
BRKAMZN wrote:
It'll take about 72 hours for the speed to change
Banned
Nov 23, 2018
592 posts
516 upvotes
chhotadon wrote: It'll take about 72 hours for the speed to change
Ouch. I am consuming data at 3G speed but paying for LTE speed. I better turn it off.
Aug 13, 2004
787 posts
246 upvotes
Vancouver
I had this member PM with telling me they were a MOD at Public Mobile and when I went to send a message to them on the public mobile community they said they were Brooke_C who I found out is like the Brand Manager. Why makeup that you work for them, and if so why use the MANAGER as the person you are impersonating. Trying to gain my trust and use your number you sent to me for a referral? Now they say their PM service has been revoked and are blaming me. I just messaged the name that they gave me.
I

Hope I'm not the only person who got a laugh out of this story. I too got inundated with messages offering their phone# when I never asked for it. I'm already a PM customer! I just help others and I'm sad people would go to these lengths to secure referrals. A mod told me to report every spam message I got. So people, unless you're asked directly for it, you're advised not to spam everyone lest you are looking for a RFD ban.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2010
4401 posts
10674 upvotes
Public Mobile has free sim w/ activation at WM starting today but I guess 25 credit is still better
Public Mobile customer

$17.95 + 6.95 SAF
100 postal code wide minutes
unlimited texts
0GB data
Jun 9, 2013
480 posts
372 upvotes
Surrey
i have an extra public mobile sim card, would this be a good time to to activate it and buy the $10 plan, so my main number gets $15 credit?
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29539 posts
20458 upvotes
jdu0ng wrote: Yup, you'll actually get $25 + $25 - $10 = $45
This money is sitting in two accounts. You need to account for the cost of the SIM card which can be used in the future.
Public Mobile customer, $34/50GB CAN-US, $29/30GB, $24/4GB
Tangerine, EQ, Simplii, HSBC customer
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2016
1294 posts
684 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Can you get this referral promo if you just signed up with the 10.00 off deal? I'm not sure if you could get both.
Nov 19, 2017
511 posts
618 upvotes
Vancouver
Latebuyer wrote: Can you get this referral promo if you just signed up with the 10.00 off deal? I'm not sure if you could get both.
You can get both, $10 off for 6 months and $25 referral credit if you enter your referral when you sign up. If you mean you already signed up, $25 referral is gone.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29539 posts
20458 upvotes
NavieM wrote: Public Mobile has free sim w/ activation at WM starting today but I guess 25 credit is still better
Walmart and Public Mobile brand don't go well together. Best to use other stores where possible.
Public Mobile customer, $34/50GB CAN-US, $29/30GB, $24/4GB
Tangerine, EQ, Simplii, HSBC customer
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2006
4264 posts
5639 upvotes
Muskoka
And to be clear, the $10 off for 6 months is only for plans $30 or more. The $25/$25 referral credit is for any plan including the $10 plan when activated at home.
Public Mobile
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2010
4401 posts
10674 upvotes
will888 wrote: Walmart and Public Mobile brand don't go well together. Best to use other stores where possible.
Why’s that?
Public Mobile customer

$17.95 + 6.95 SAF
100 postal code wide minutes
unlimited texts
0GB data
Jun 2, 2017
183 posts
150 upvotes
Toronto
Is it true that I only can receive a one time $25 credit to refer someone to activate a PM service? So I can't refer a few family members to sign up under my PM number to get multiple $25 referral credit.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
13460 posts
12205 upvotes
gavinjai wrote: Is it true that I only can receive a one time $25 credit to refer someone to activate a PM service? So I can't refer a few family members to sign up under my PM number to get multiple $25 referral credit.
You can refer as many family and friends as you like and you will receive $25 credit per friend who activates online - no credit if your friend activate at store.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Public Mobile $34 15GB, $11 250MB, 2x $5 50min/50text, $0 FPL home phone,
Fido $5 4GB plan with a free tablet.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2017
2443 posts
3160 upvotes
NavieM wrote: Why’s that?
Walmart has a reputation for not wanting to sell you the SIM card alone. Most Walmart reps want to do the activations in store because they get commissions. Not all Walmart reps are like that though, but many stories of upset customers not being able to buy SIM card alone. With this promotion, you need to buy a SIM card and do the activation at home, online.

On the other hand, another vendor such as WOW mobile have reputation of NOT wanting to do in store activations since their reps don't get "enough" commission.
Public Mobile, Tangerine
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
18020 posts
7061 upvotes
Toronto
I currently have the Telus $70 for 15 Gig plan. I have NEVER spent this much on a cell phone plan and am looking for a cost-effective option. I do like the $50 for 8.5 GB data plan. My only concern is the data speed. My phone usage is as follows:

- checking emails
- texting with some pictures
- listening to streaming music on the Go Train
- putting the hotspot on my LG G7 One phone and web browsing and using Flipp on my iPad
- I DO NOT watch videos on mobile networks and only do that on WiFi.

With the above needs, will the 3G speeds on the LTE network be OK or will I see huge delays? My speed test on Telus LTE gives me about 350 Mbps/51Mbps on the download/upload. I am in East Toronto.

What would be the process I need to do to move my existing number to Public Mobile and get the referral discounts and all max deals? I can do the auto bill payments to get the $2 off a month as well.

I would appreciate the help as I am happy with the Telus network for coverage but not for the price Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes

Thank you
Last edited by hightech on Feb 17th, 2019 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2005
1567 posts
888 upvotes
Earth
This time the $10 credit for 6 months applies to both online and in-store activations...

Activate any $30+/mo plan and get $10 off for 6 months.

The $25 referral credit applies to online activations only.
Last edited by Oatmeal on Feb 17th, 2019 11:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Telus $45 25GB, Unlimited talk/text Nationwide
Public Mobile
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2015
2423 posts
1889 upvotes
Cochrane, AB
hightech wrote: I currently have the Telus $70 for 15 Gig plan. I have NEVER spent this much on a cell phone plan and am looking for a cost-effective option. I do like the $50 for 8.5 GB data plan. My only concern is the data speed. My phone usage is as follows:

- checking emails
- texting with some pictures
- listening to streaming music on the Go Train
- putting the hotspot on my LG G7 One phone and web browsing and using Flipp on my iPad
- I DO NOT watch videos on mobile networks and only do that on WiFi.

With the above needs, will the 3G speeds on the LTE network be OK or will I see huge delays?

What would be the process I need to do to move my existing number to Public Mobile and get the referral discounts and all max deals? I can do the auto bill payments to get the $2 off a month as well.

I would appreciate the help as I am happy with the Telus network for coverage but not for the price Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes

Thank you
The Public Mobile 3G is good enough for streaming up to 720p video so your light usage is no problem. Only if you want to stream full HD or higher would you encounter buffering.

EDIT:

I highly recommend going to London Drugs to buy the $10 SIM to bring it home to activate. London Drugs people don't work on commission and will happily sell you the SIM card without forcing you to activate in store.

Once you are gone, you just need to go to the Public Mobile website with your current account number for your phone and phone number to port over and then enter the phone number of the person that referred you. This will max out the credits of you choose a plan that is $30 or more.
Last edited by JoeStale on Feb 17th, 2019 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)