• Mar 22nd, 2019 8:32 am
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2006
2944 posts
2276 upvotes
Muskoka
hightech wrote:
Feb 17th, 2019 11:13 am
I currently have the Telus $70 for 15 Gig plan. I have NEVER spent this much on a cell phone plan and am looking for a cost-effective option. I do like the $50 for 8.5 GB data plan. My only concern is the data speed. My phone usage is as follows:

- checking emails
- texting with some pictures
- listening to streaming music on the Go Train
- putting the hotspot on my LG G7 One phone and web browsing and using Flipp on my iPad
- I DO NOT watch videos on mobile networks and only do that on WiFi.

With the above needs, will the 3G speeds on the LTE network be OK or will I see huge delays?

What would be the process I need to do to move my existing number to Public Mobile and get the referral discounts and all max deals? I can do the auto bill payments to get the $2 off a month as well.

I would appreciate the help as I am happy with the Telus network for coverage but not for the price Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes

Thank you
To get all if the deals to the maximum benefit you need to
- get a referral number
- get a SIM and bring it home and activate at home with the referral
- pick a plan $30 or more and select YES for autopay
- pick a new temp number to make sure everything is working and then port your number over from TELUS

You will get $25 the next day and $10 for 6 months and $2 autopay for as long as you keep the plan and autopay active
Koodo
Public Mobile
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2010
1918 posts
1926 upvotes
Dunkster wrote:
Feb 17th, 2019 10:35 am
Walmart has a reputation for not wanting to sell you the SIM card alone. Most Walmart reps want to do the activations in store because they get commissions. Not all Walmart reps are like that though, but many stories of upset customers not being able to buy SIM card alone. With this promotion, you need to buy a SIM card and do the activation at home, online.

On the other hand, another vendor such as WOW mobile have reputation of NOT wanting to do in store activations since their reps don't get "enough" commission.
Ah okay I was thinking promos between the 3 were different or something. I noticed normally they're the exact same.
At WM, the reps don't care about PM commission. It's the fact that it counts as a third of a sale. (full sale would be something like a month to month plan or 2 yr contract) The commission is embarrassingly low.
Koodo, Fido, Telus, Public Mobile, Virgin customer.
Deal Addict
Nov 5, 2006
1993 posts
155 upvotes
Toronto
JoeStale wrote:
Feb 17th, 2019 11:35 am
The fastest way to sign up would be to go to a Walmart, The Mobile Shop, or London Drugs and buy the Public Mobile sim card there for $10 and activate in store. When you do it in store, you just need to give them the account number and phone number from your Telus account and then also give them the phone number of the person who referred you to get the referral discount.
He’s trying to maximize on credits so it’s best to activate online and get the $25 referral.
I also went this route and ditched my $75 15gb for the $48 8.5gb. Sim came 2 days after I ordered online (gta)
3xPublic Mobile
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2015
2387 posts
1756 upvotes
Cochrane, AB
o0vL wrote:
Feb 17th, 2019 12:04 pm
He’s trying to maximize on credits so it’s best to activate online and get the $25 referral.
I also went this route and ditched my $75 15gb for the $48 8.5gb. Sim came 2 days after I ordered online (gta)
Oh, whoops, didn't see that condition for this time around. So looks like the activation must be done online to max out the referral plus bonuses.

I highly recommend going to London Drugs to buy the $10 SIM to bring it home to activate. London Drugs people don't work on commission and will happily sell you the SIM card without forcing you to activate in store.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2005
9794 posts
9001 upvotes
JoeStale wrote:
Feb 17th, 2019 12:19 pm
Oh, whoops, didn't see that condition for this time around. So looks like the activation must be done online to max out the referral plus bonuses.

I highly recommend going to London Drugs to buy the $10 SIM to bring it home to activate. London Drugs people don't work on commission and will happily sell you the SIM card without forcing you to activate in store.
The Mobile Shop at Supershop is a good store to get PM SIM and pay for it by redeem 10k PC Optimum points + tax. You can also get 1000 points by talking to the TMS rep every 3 months..
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Koodo $30 plan, PM $38 5GB plan, PM $8 plan to replace Speakout,
Zoomer loyalty family plan for 4 lines $117/6GB, $0 FPL home phone
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2015
2387 posts
1756 upvotes
Cochrane, AB
embguy wrote:
Feb 17th, 2019 12:45 pm
The Mobile Shop at Supershop is a good store to get PM SIM and pay for it by redeem 10k PC Optimum points + tax. You can also get 1000 points by talking to the TMS rep every 3 months..
The last time I tried to buy a Public Mobile sim at The Mobile Shop, they refused to sell it to me unless I activated in the store so I wouldn't even bother with The Mobile Shop of you have a London Drugs around.
Feb 13, 2019
14 posts
5 upvotes
jdu0ng wrote:
Feb 16th, 2019 1:54 pm
Yup, you'll actually get $25 + $25 - $10 = $45
When has $25+$25-$10=$45????
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2005
9794 posts
9001 upvotes
JoeStale wrote:
Feb 17th, 2019 12:50 pm
The last time I tried to buy a Public Mobile sim at The Mobile Shop, they refused to sell it to me unless I activated in the store so I wouldn't even bother with The Mobile Shop of you have a London Drugs around.
Couple of months ago, I had a 20k offer with $40 spending at TMS. I redeemed 40k pts and got 21k pts back. Each PM SIM costs me $5.25 including GST. GST($2 less 1k pts) = $1 for 4 SIMs cards.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2005
9794 posts
9001 upvotes
Red08TRX4 wrote:
Feb 17th, 2019 12:56 pm
When has $25+$25-$10=$45????
The $35(not $45) is actually split into two accounts because you have to pay $10 plan for the first month and $10 SIM card. You cannot merge the credit into one account.
Your current account will get $25 credit.
Your new account with $10 plan will cost you $10 plan + $10 SIM card = $20 to get $27 bill credit with autopay enabled.
You can use the new SIM card as a US roaming SIM card for 10 days by buying US roaming add-on with the $27 bill credit.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
17735 posts
5986 upvotes
Toronto
hightech wrote:
Feb 17th, 2019 11:13 am
I currently have the Telus $70 for 15 Gig plan. I have NEVER spent this much on a cell phone plan and am looking for a cost-effective option. I do like the $50 for 8.5 GB data plan. My only concern is the data speed. My phone usage is as follows:

- checking emails
- texting with some pictures
- listening to streaming music on the Go Train
- putting the hotspot on my LG G7 One phone and web browsing and using Flipp on my iPad
- I DO NOT watch videos on mobile networks and only do that on WiFi.

With the above needs, will the 3G speeds on the LTE network be OK or will I see huge delays?

What would be the process I need to do to move my existing number to Public Mobile and get the referral discounts and all max deals? I can do the auto bill payments to get the $2 off a month as well.

I would appreciate the help as I am happy with the Telus network for coverage but not for the price Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes

Thank you
Everybody has pretty much given you a consistent thumbs up for making the switch. One thing not mentioned so far is that they only throttle the LTE connections to 3 mbits/s up and down. If you need a faster data connection just switch the phone to 3G and you get unthrottled speeds. In the GTA, the Bellus network is pretty good for data on 3G. You can expect speeds typically in the 10ish mbits/s which is fine for even HD video.
Koodo $40/6GB
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $40/5GB
Fido $7.50/3GB+tablet
Rogers $25 500U home internet
Tangerine Bank
Nov 21, 2014
30 posts
29 upvotes
Westmount, QC
spotts01 wrote:
Feb 17th, 2019 12:00 pm
To get all if the deals to the maximum benefit you need to
- get a referral number
- get a SIM and bring it home and activate at home with the referral
- pick a plan $30 or more and select YES for autopay
- pick a new temp number to make sure everything is working and then port your number over from TELUS

You will get $25 the next day and $10 for 6 months and $2 autopay for as long as you keep the plan and autopay active
Hi,
If I pick a $30 plan on the first month, then I switch to a $20 plan on the second month, am I still eligible to get the "$10 off for 6 months" ?
Thank you for your help.
May 30, 2013
188 posts
201 upvotes
Went to Walmart, activated 2 lines, got 2 FREE sim card and Rep called public mobile (I know they don't have CS, but Walmart had a special number) and was able to confirm I can get the $25 credit + $10 off for 6 months (on top of the free sim). Use the same method to activate as I would have done it at home through a browser.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2005
9794 posts
9001 upvotes
SleepingDog wrote:
Feb 17th, 2019 4:50 pm
Hi,
If I pick a $30 plan on the first month, then I switch to a $20 plan on the second month, am I still eligible to get the "$10 off for 6 months" ?
Thank you for your help.
No. You need to maintain a $30 plan in order to get the $10 per month.

You can wait the free SIM and second month free promo. After activation, you can schedule a plan change to a $20 plan. You are get $30 credit + $10 free SIM = $40. Comparing this promo, $60 - $10 SIM = $50. You are ahead of $10 with the current promo. But you have to pay extra $10 for next 6 months. Therefore, you better to wait for the free SIM and free month promo. There is no point to pay higher monthly fee for something you will not use.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2014
1168 posts
851 upvotes
kylin18 wrote:
Feb 17th, 2019 5:14 pm
Went to Walmart, activated 2 lines, got 2 FREE sim card and Rep called public mobile (I know they don't have CS, but Walmart had a special number) and was able to confirm I can get the $25 credit + $10 off for 6 months (on top of the free sim). Use the same method to activate as I would have done it at home through a browser.
Still doubtful if you will receive the $25 as there must be a way PM differentiate online vs in store activations. If the store rep claimed your activation to earn a few bucks commission, that might show as in store activation. So you might get $10 instead of $25. But i am curious to know what will happen.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2005
9794 posts
9001 upvotes
kylin18 wrote:
Feb 17th, 2019 5:14 pm
Report back tomorrow how much bill credit you receive. $10 or $25. I vote for $10.

I have heard the same WM story over and over again. The result is only $10. Not $25. I have been repeating this message every time on PM $25 promo thread. This happens over and over again.

Thread Information

There are currently 9 users viewing this thread. (3 members and 6 guests)

Gtabuddy, hilroy97, tor98