91 posts
89 upvotes
Toronto

$50 Canada/US talk, Text and 8GB + 4.5GB for Freedom Customers

Deal Link:
Price:
Retailer:
Public Mobile
Public Mobile Offer for Customers porting from Freedom.

$50 per month ($2 off for auto-pay)
Unlimited Canada-Wide/US Talk
Unlimited International SMS
8GB of 3G data
Bonus 4.5GB 3G data for 24 months (108GB bonus)
Voicemail and Call Display

This is for Freedom Port-in only!
Images
  • Freedom $50 plan.PNG
28 replies
Mar 19, 2016
154 posts
66 upvotes
canada
Well dang. I wish I had a crystal ball, would have gone to freedom for a month.
May 29, 2017
110 posts
27 upvotes
Canada
Clearly the BIG THREE think freedom's internet speeds are shit in 2018.....its 2018, they have come a long way. With a Pixel 2XL I am averaging 24.5Mbps all over GTA on Various LTE bands.....I haven't had data issues with Freedom in over a year. It's been reliable. and more than just usable for every need.

I go through my 8GB full speed LTE very fast because I do so much on my phone every month.
Koodoplans Discord Channel: p7KUUmd
Mar 29, 2018
72 posts
39 upvotes
I had the same phone in Edmonton, wouldn't connect to band 66, kept switching radio on and off. Got a second pixel 2 same issues, downtown Edmonton. When I'd complain they'd say their doing maintenance, but after 2 months of the same shit I left them. I wouldn't recommend freedom for at least a few years. Everyone keeps saying their getting better but not good enough when coming from others. We can't be customers with the hope one day it may get better.
Nov 1, 2013
214 posts
102 upvotes
Samshares wrote:
Dec 14th, 2018 11:22 am
Clearly the BIG THREE think freedom's internet speeds are shit in 2018.....its 2018, they have come a long way. With a Pixel 2XL I am averaging 24.5Mbps all over GTA on Various LTE bands.....I haven't had data issues with Freedom in over a year. It's been reliable. and more than just usable for every need.

I go through my 8GB full speed LTE very fast because I do so much on my phone every month.
I'm on Koodo and I average 60mbps per second around the GTA. Every now and then I jump to over 100mbps. I'm not shitting on freedom but their LTE speeds still isn't up to par. Its decent I give it that but their LTE still has issues into big buildings or old concrete buildings
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2006
3263 posts
2736 upvotes
Muskoka
The last time Public Mobile they went after Freedom the promo only lasted a day and was pulled without warning. That was about 18 months ago

The deal then was 90 days 12 GB LTE $40 prov wide called only. But nobody back then then was offering 4GB for $40.

12.5 GB is a lot for a decent price and you have 24 months to wait until something else comes along. I suspect it will continue past 24 months. People were signing up with Freedom just to port over
Koodo
Public Mobile
May 29, 2017
110 posts
27 upvotes
Canada
ztensa22 wrote:
Dec 14th, 2018 11:35 am
I'm on Koodo and I average 60mbps per second around the GTA. Every now and then I jump to over 100mbps. I'm not shitting on freedom but their LTE speeds still isn't up to par. Its decent I give it that but their LTE still has issues into big buildings or old concrete buildings
This isn't a thread about Koodo, with Public Mobile 3G you are limited to 3Mbps.....take that in....3Mbps....thats what they are comparing to Freedom....You tell me....lastly, no VoLTE so your phone calls in high rise and old concrete buildings are going to suffer much like Freedom....(Maybe a little less but very much like it) as 3G network is old and running on higher frequencies than LTE (VoLTE is important as it has access to low frequency and more LTE towers than 3G)

I too have Telus service...with 15GB Data, that I love and enjoy with 60-100Mbps+ on average basis. But I am not even bringing that up into this convo...
Koodoplans Discord Channel: p7KUUmd
Nov 1, 2013
214 posts
102 upvotes
Samshares wrote:
Dec 14th, 2018 11:53 am
This isn't a thread about Koodo, with Public Mobile 3G you are limited to 3Mbps.....take that in....3Mbps....thats what they are comparing to Freedom....You tell me....lastly, no VoLTE so your phone calls in high rise and old concrete buildings are going to suffer much like Freedom....(Maybe a little less but very much like it) as 3G network is old and running on higher frequencies than LTE (VoLTE is important as it has access to low frequency and more LTE towers than 3G)

I too have Telus service...with 15GB Data, that I love and enjoy with 60-100Mbps+ on average basis. But I am not even bringing that up into this convo...
You're right. Cheers
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
28779 posts
14590 upvotes
Ottawa
Samshares wrote:
Dec 14th, 2018 11:22 am

Speed is not the issue...trying to get decent reception is the problem.
Aug 31, 2007
449 posts
83 upvotes
Someone in another thread said if you disable LTE and stick with 3G/HSDPA + service on lte you can get past the throttled 3mbps gigabit service.... can anyone else confirm?
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2014
2401 posts
1300 upvotes
Langley
I'm genuinely curious, how do people on this service use 3G on a regular basis, is this enough to stream youtube at 480p? When my cell service's LTE goes down and it's 3G, I feel like throwing my phone at the wall.
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2017
1457 posts
801 upvotes
Calgary
jellytime wrote:
Dec 14th, 2018 1:01 pm
I'm genuinely curious, how do people on this service use 3G on a regular basis, is this enough to stream youtube at 480p? When my cell service's LTE goes down and it's 3G, I feel like throwing my phone at the wall.
this is LTE lite. it's not "3G"
it has the latency of LTE (fast) and the bandwidth of 3G.

Found this via google for hulu. (not youtube but similar idea.)
Hulu states that most of their video streams at 480 Kbps or 700 Kbps, but recommend a bandwidth of 1 Mbps or higher. Some of their higher 480p videos stream at 1 Mbps and require a 1.5 Mbps downstream bandwidth for smooth playback.

Looks like it would play 480p NO PROBLEM. (overkill for 480p)
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2014
4886 posts
1640 upvotes
Canuckland
Freedom is LTE unlike PM "3G speed"
Jun 26, 2017
280 posts
119 upvotes
Have had hands-on experience with both. I was with Wind (Freedom) in the past and couldn't tolerate the random dead spots for coverage (YVR). Not sure if Freedom has improved to resolve these issues since. Switched over to Public Mobile and have been pretty happy since. Also don't have to worry about Away networks...

I can't comment on PM "3G" since my plan allows for LTE uncapped.
Public Mobile, 12GB LTE/3mo/$120 plan
---
I am in compliance with all forum rules