Hot Deals

[Public Mobile] $8 for 50 Canada wide minutes, 50 texts.

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 14th, 2018 6:31 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
2825 posts
995 upvotes
Halifax

$8 for 50 Canada wide minutes, 50 texts.

Deal Link:
Price:
$10
Retailer:
Public Mobile
$10
30-days
LIMITED TIME OFFER
50 MINUTES Canada-wide Talk
UNLIMITED Incoming Text
50 TEXTS Outgoing International Text
VOICEMAIL⁹ & Call Display

$8 with Autopay. Autopay does not work for me, because I am currently financing my Public Mobile habit buying Public Mobile vouchers at Canadian tire, using Canadian Tire money I earned when I bought Canadian Tire gifts cards at 10% off, to buy gas. Gotta love RFD!
This is a great plan for the flip phone I leave in the car.

Mod Reminder: To keep thread on topic and from getting locked, do not ask for or offer referrals.
Last edited by Mars2012 on Apr 12th, 2018 10:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: added reminder
Thread Summary
FAQ by will888:

What happens if I run out of calling minutes before the end of 30 days?
The calling function will stop working. A long distance add-on can be purchased as a way of topping up the minutes to keep the talk service active. The add-on calling minutes do not expire and are consumed after the 50 minutes included minutes are used up. Note that incoming and outgoing (including to voice mail) calls count toward the minutes used. To save on minutes, consider calling voice mail from an alternate line, with phone off just dial your own number and interrupt the greeting by pressing *.
$8 for 200 mins (US & Canada) and $15 for 400 International mins (includes US & Canada). Any unused minutes will roll over to your next cycle.

Does call forwarding consume included minutes? (Answered by slpless)
Yes. Both incoming and outgoing calls are counted. Even calls unanswered and forwarded to voicemail use up minutes. By disabling voicemail using extended absence greeting, you won't see minutes deducted.

How to disable voicemail? (Answered by slpless, contributed by happy camper)
Public Mobile doesn't allow users to disable voicemail by system. However, there is a way. Some Android phones have an option to disable to voicemail in settings. If you cannot find the option or have an iPhone, follow these step to disable voicemail.

• dial into your voicemail and log in with your PIN.
• In the main menu, press 3 (manage greetings),
• then 4 (manage extended absence greeting),
• then 2 (record a new extended absence greeeting) and record a message that indicates to your caller you are not accepting messages.
• Then press 4 to turn on extended absence
• Finally, press 5 to dissallow anyone to leave you a message.

What happens if I run out of text messages before the end of 30 day?
The outgoing texting function will stop working until plan renewal. Unfortunately, there is no texting add-on that can be purchased to extend this functionality. Note that each text message is up to 160 characters. Long text messages may count as more than one sent text message.

Can data be added to this plan?
To enable data, purchase a data add-on. The data add-on does not expire. The data speed is full speed LTE.
200MB Data for $10 and 1GB Data for $30. Any unused data will roll over to your next cycle.

Can US add-ons be purchased with this plan?
Yes, all US add-ons can be purchased with the plan.

Is the plan eligible for the auto pay, referral, community, loyalty rewards?
This plan is eligible for all four rewards which can be used to reduce plan cost to zero. Note that using voucher payments do not affect auto pay reward. To collect auto pay reward, simply add a payment card to the account and enable auto pay.

Plan details are found in this official Public Mobile release.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobil ... m-p/233167

Interesting discovery - MMS does not appear to be counted against the 50 text allowance. MMS usage is possible when the text allotment is used up.
713 replies
Apr 13, 2016
729 posts
448 upvotes
Is it just me or does this seem like an awful deal? You could get a $15/mo data plan and use a free or paid VoIP service. If I am wrong, I will STHU.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
2825 posts
995 upvotes
Halifax
snipzy wrote:
Apr 12th, 2018 10:41 am
Is it just me or does this seem like an awful deal? You could get a $15/mo data plan and use a free or paid VoIP service. If I am wrong, I will STHU.
Data is unreliable when it comes to voice calls. Depends on your needs of course. If I hung around with Public Mobile for 5 years, I could get the bill down to $3 a month. If I needed data, that would cost me $30 for 1GB, and it would not expire while this plan is active. Mind you, if you are harder on data, you get the $15 fido plan. But I already got 2 of those! :)
Mar 27, 2013
20 posts
4 upvotes
If I hung around with Public Mobile for 5 years, I could get the bill down to $3 a month

How's that?
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
3441 posts
343 upvotes
Vancouver
bridonca wrote:
Apr 12th, 2018 10:40 am
$10
30-days
LIMITED TIME OFFER
UNLIMITED Incoming Text

$8 with Autopay. Autopay does not work for me, because I am currently financing my Public Mobile habit buying Public Mobile vouchers at Canadian tire, using Canadian Tire money I earned when I bought Canadian Tire gifts cards at 10% off, to buy gas. Gotta love RFD!
But once you use up all your ct GC, you should switch to autopay as they're giving you an equivalent discount of 20% off compared to ct at 10%?
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1377 posts
356 upvotes
Ouuups... What is this pathetic joke? .. Sadly, PM is definitely moving in the wrong direction.
They'd better begin offering some cheap data-only plans, fido-style, or face an oblivion ... :)
Jul 11, 2017
167 posts
113 upvotes
stevensdas wrote:
Apr 12th, 2018 10:54 am

How's that?
For every year you are with Public, you get $1 off your plan (Per 30 days, So, also $3/90 days off) **Up to 5 years = $5 off/30 days OR $15/90 days **
bridonca wrote:
Apr 12th, 2018 10:40 am
$10
30-days
LIMITED TIME OFFER
UNLIMITED Incoming Text

This is a great plan for the flip phone I leave in the car.
Technically, you could do what I use to do while I was with Public. You can put in your credit card for Autopay and get the discount and then just fill up your account with vouchers. You still get the $2/30 days or $6/90 days discount AND the 10% off vouchers at CT Gas
Jun 1, 2017
54 posts
20 upvotes
Does anyone know if talk and text is free between public mobile numbers?
Oct 7, 2009
537 posts
229 upvotes
Toronto
projectman44 wrote:
Apr 12th, 2018 11:07 am
No. No free calling between PM numbers
I am a Public Mobile subscriber
I am a Koodo subscriber
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
2825 posts
995 upvotes
Halifax
kmchow wrote:
Apr 12th, 2018 10:55 am
But once you use up all your ct GC, you should switch to autopay as they're giving you an equivalent discount of 20% off compared to ct at 10%?
Using the Canadian Tire Money, it is 100% off. I have no use for anything in Canadian Tire most of the time, so I now have a use for the Canadian Tire money. The Canadian Tire gift cards I use to buy gas, and I get 3.5 cents (per dollar or per liter, I forget) in Canadian Tire money when you buy gas at their gas bar.
Dec 2, 2014
223 posts
150 upvotes
Calgary, AB
projectman44 wrote:
Apr 12th, 2018 11:07 am
it is not
Nov 1, 2003
817 posts
116 upvotes
Looking to get another line...
Tempted... I also looked at Koodo pay as you go $15 for unlimited sms and mms, then add minutes that won't expire.
Salesperson
Sep 11, 2008
352 posts
156 upvotes
Quebec
Why is that a deal when Telus offers the same thing? Is it the 2$ off?
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2010
1357 posts
829 upvotes
Get this, refer 8 people, free service. I think I'll do it. I don't need it but I can always hope they send me some sort of prepaid to postpaid offer down the road
Koodo, Fido, Telus, Public Mobile, Virgin customer.