• Mar 19th, 2017 5:31 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2009
1905 posts
1723 upvotes
Quebec

Public mobile increasing the rates of their legacy plans for 3$ on April 1st

Received 2 message texts today from Public Mobile. Sharing this if anyone have any opinions on changing ship or not. Currently with the 25$ plan
https://publicmobile.ca/en/on/serviceupdate

Public Mobile is continuing our evolution to an online-only brand with the goal to provide customers more choice in a clear and uncomplicated way. Along this journey, we are making some changes. On April 1, 2017, all Legacy/ Pioneer rate plans will be increased by $3 per month.

To continue paying the same price you are today, from now until March 31, 2017, all Legacy customers will have the opportunity to switch to Koodo, who is a part of our family, and take advantage of a variety of perks..

Switching to Koodo gives you access to their stores, phone offers, and industry leading customer support. And, all of this would come at the same price you are currently paying. Be sure to act quickly, and tell other Legacy customers, as this is a limited time offer!

You are considered a Legacy/ Pioneer customer if you are currently on one of the following rate plans that was available prior to January 27, 2015:

$19 Province-Wide Talk

$25 Canada-Wide Talk + Text

$40 Canada-Wide Talk + Text + 1GB Data

$45 Canadian & U.S. Talk + Text + 1GB Data

$60 Canadian & U.S. Talk + Text + 2GB Data
And you actually a month free if you do the switch.
What are the perks of switching to Koodo?

Continue to pay the same price - As long as you are on a Legacy rate plan, you can switch to Koodo and continue to pay the same price for your plan. For example: If your current rate plan is $19, upon switching to Koodo, you will still pay $19 for a Province-Wide Talk plan. If your rate plan is $40 and you switch to Koodo, you will continue to pay $40 to get Canada-Wide Talk, Text and 1GB Data.

Receive 1 month free & transfer your Public Mobile account balance - Koodo will provide you with an account credit equal to the value of your rate plan, as well as transfer up to $300 of your remaining Public Mobile account balance. This will happen no later than 3 billing cycles after switching.

Qualify for great device offers- Upon switching, you may qualify for a new $0 phone on a Koodo TabTM.

Access to 350+ Koodo locations across Canada - Koodo offers simple service support at their kiosk locations Canada-wide. You will also be able to receive support from their call centre.
38 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
13211 posts
1991 upvotes
Toronto
So I'm confused. Why would they make you switch if you are getting the exact same plan, at the same price? Am I understanding this correctly?

1) Move to Koodo and keep your same plan at the same price.
2) Stay with Public Mobile and keep your same plan but at $3 more per month.

Are they planning on getting rid of grandfathered plans altogether eventually? Goodbye 4 GB $38 plan next year?
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
2857 posts
347 upvotes
GTA
Thanks for the heads up. Both my parents are on the legacy plans. Going to have to look into this a little further to see advantages/disadvantages of doing this.

One thing that pops up already is that you're going from pre-paid to post-paid by doing this switch. I also am not sure what Koodos add-ons are like. My dad is on the $25/month Canada-Wide plan and the 1GB add-on lasts a few months for him.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2013
3455 posts
1080 upvotes
BC / GVA
EugW wrote:
Feb 18th, 2017 12:20 am
So I'm confused. Why would they make you switch if you are getting the exact same plan, at the same price? Am I understanding this correctly?

Are they planning on getting rid of grandfathered plans altogether eventually? Goodbye 4 GB $38 plan next year?
Right now, Public is paying for their own phone customer service reps. They need to get rid of legacy customers in order to fire the phone rep(s). By moving customers to Koodo, people can utilize the existing customer service reps that are already on Koodo's/Telus payroll instead of paying for a special Public Mobile phone rep that barely anyone uses.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(-.-)_/¯
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
13211 posts
1991 upvotes
Toronto
dealseaker101 wrote:
Feb 18th, 2017 1:25 am
Right now, Public is paying for their own phone customer service reps. They need to get rid of legacy customers in order to fire the phone rep(s). By moving customers to Koodo, people can utilize the existing customer service reps that are already on Koodo's/Telus payroll instead of paying for a special Public Mobile phone rep that barely anyone uses.
I didn't even know they had phone reps. What's their number and where do they post that?

Either way though, there goes the reputation that PM doesn't raise prices on grandfathered plans.
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
17575 posts
2852 upvotes
Thornhill
EugW wrote:
Feb 18th, 2017 5:19 am
I didn't even know they had phone reps. What's their number and where do they post that?

Either way though, there goes the reputation that PM doesn't raise prices on grandfathered plans.
The customer service phone reps are allocated for the legacy customers that still have access to the phone reps due to their accounts creation dates. They've always had phone support, so this kinda makes sense. The community helps quite a lot, and waiting for staff support is within 24hr turnaround. Works for most people, especially for what you pay on a non contracted plan.

All current phone plan members, like the $40 RGB plan doesn't have phone support, so common sense would say it'll be grandfathered unless they add phone support in the future.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
13211 posts
1991 upvotes
Toronto
coriolis wrote:
Feb 18th, 2017 8:17 am
The customer service phone reps are allocated for the legacy customers that still have access to the phone reps due to their accounts creation dates. They've always had phone support, so this kinda makes sense. The community helps quite a lot, and waiting for staff support is within 24hr turnaround. Works for most people, especially for what you pay on a non contracted plan.

All current phone plan members, like the $40 RGB plan doesn't have phone support, so common sense would say it'll be grandfathered unless they add phone support in the future.
I don't think we can use "common sense" as a gauge as to whether or not current plans (or the fall 2016 $38 plan) will be grandfathered for an extended period, as the choices will be made on what makes business sense to them. If anything, this development argues that Public Mobile is more than willing to stop honouring grandfathered plan prices after a few years (just like all the other incumbents), but we won't know what happens with more recent plans until it happens.
Last edited by EugW on Feb 18th, 2017 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
13211 posts
1991 upvotes
Toronto
mobifree wrote:
Feb 18th, 2017 9:19 am
Why wouldn't they just let the Koodo customer service reps take the Public Mobile legacy customers?
What I wonder is why they are not forcing them to leave. It seems rather odd to have two plan prices with two different carriers for the same plan. It would make the most sense at least from the standpoint of simplicity of plan structure just to say if they wanted to stay they'd have to switch plans, but if they wanted to keep their plan they move to Koodo.

Cuz if they have people staying at Public Mobile, then they still have to provide phone support.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2013
2969 posts
428 upvotes
Brampton ON
EugW wrote:
Feb 18th, 2017 12:20 am

Good bye $40 4gb I think coz they didn't mention about it. Time to look for another promo ASAP.
VirginMobile $55 8gb (BYOP)Samsung A5 2017
Do A Math Before Signing Contract or Buying Phone Outright (this will vary on your plan price & usage)

Jan 11, 2017
6 posts
6 upvotes
Looks like the $38 plan can go up in the future but best to stay put beforehand. Kind of hard to predict the future. I was on Bell's umb(unlimited mobile browser) for the longest time until they gradually phased it out. First with a +$10 surcharge and then by limiting the data cap to 1GB. Fortunately I was able to get rid of it before the updated fair use policy came into effect. You should have a couple years at least before the plan is adjusted to what they deem a fair market rate. In the meantime just enjoy the ride and realize that nothing is permanent.

Btw I was on a contract when they made changes to that feature...
Dec 30, 1969
93 posts
19 upvotes
Ladysmith, BC
I wonder if they'll do something similar with Koodo prepaid -- try to get people to postpaid. The prices for prepaid haven't changed for years.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
22451 posts
1841 upvotes
Aurora
They should keep the grandfathered rates and just remove phone support.

Those that use phone support should decide if they want to stick with their grandfathered plan or move to Koodo
Feb 13, 2017
187 posts
987 upvotes
Little Turnip Land
Prepaid (Public) is not taxable and post paid (Koodo) is.

Ontario Example:
$25 +3 (Public prepaid) = $28.oo with access to addons while they last.
$25 +13% (Koodo Postpaid) = $28.25 with access to 350 koodo stores that will force you to change plans again to get a free phone.

Tough Choice but if you go the Koodo route you get to help support the government and get access to Koodo stores. Another Telus Scam! LOL
This offer is for a Koodo postpaid plan. Switching from your current prepaid plan to a postpaid plan means that you will pay for the services you’ve used at the end of each month, rather than the beginning. This provides you with the flexibility to use additional services, such as Long Distance or other Add-Ons, without having to top-up your account first.
While we are able to transfer your account balance, we are unfortunately unable to transfer any Add-Ons you may have
How do I know if I am eligible for the $0 phone on the Koodo Tab? Be sure to visit your closest Koodo store or authorized dealer, and one of the reps will be happy to talk about your options.

Is Howard Forums still a thing?
"Brawls break out again at same Chuck E. Cheese's in California."
"Stay Tuned For More Breaking Cheese @ 11"
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
13211 posts
1991 upvotes
Toronto
TheOtherWhiteMeat wrote:
Feb 19th, 2017 7:55 am
Prepaid (Public) is not taxable and post paid (Koodo) is.

Ontario Example:
$25 +3 (Public prepaid) = $28.oo with access to addons while they last.
$25 +13% (Koodo Postpaid) = $28.25 with access to 350 koodo stores that will force you to change plans again to get a free phone.

Tough Choice but if you go the Koodo route you get to help support the government and get access to Koodo stores. Another Telus Scam! LOL
Prepaid is taxable.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel