Feb 13, 2017
257 posts
1250 upvotes
Bin Dopin's CANistan
EugW wrote:
Feb 19th, 2017 8:39 am
Prepaid is taxable.
Not in my experience for years
"Brawls break out again at same Chuck E. Cheese's in California & Two 3 year old boys shot accidentally outside Fort Worth Chuck E. Cheese’s "
"Stay Tuned For More Breaking Cheese @ 11"
Feb 13, 2017
257 posts
1250 upvotes
Bin Dopin's CANistan
EugW wrote:
Feb 19th, 2017 8:47 am
Public Mobile Community - Is there tax on the bill?

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile ... td-p/83323

Yes, there is tax charged at the time when you add funds to your account, or when you purchase a top-up card at a retail location.
Thanks for the link:
WearySky Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle
‎11-02-2016 03:35 PM
Re: Is there tax on the bill?
There were reports over on the RedflagDeals forums about people only being charged $120 flat on signup, interestingly enough. But that seems to be a glitch, tax is definitely supposed to be added on.

Korth Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle
‎11-02-2016 05:50 PM
Vendors charge sales tax on Payment Vouchers. Unless you have a Status tax exemption and purchase from a vendor on Reservation land.

When I first signed up with Public Mobile no tax was charged on the account at any time. I purchased a $100 Payment Voucher, it became a $100 balance on my PM Self-Serve account, I chose a $90/90-day plan, and $90 was then deducted from my balance. No taxes were explicitly charged by PM at any time.

But when I recently signed a couple friends up with Public Mobile, taxes were charged when their accounts were activated. So a $120/90-day plan actually cost something like $135.60, at least the first time. (As a side note, PM offered different payment options but - at the time, anyways - would not allow mixed or combined payments and would not allow multiple Payment Vouchers, and this was a bit of a hassle when the largest Payment Voucher denomination was $100.)

I've since renewed my 90-day plan twice and haven't been charged any taxes. I'm not sure if my friends will pay taxes since their 90-day plans haven't yet been renewed.

WearySky Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle
‎11-03-2016 09:21 AM
Korth wrote:
Vendors charge sales tax on Payment Vouchers. Unless you have a Status tax exemption and purchase from a vendor on Reservation land.

Are you sure about that? A prepaid voucher should just be a straight up dollar amount, no tax (because all it's doing is applying credit to your account). Otherwise you'll get double taxed when you go to pay for your service in the self service portal (unless the self service portal doesn't take tax off when you're paying via a payment voucher, but does when you're paying via credit card).

Often things are taxed and shouldn't be but the Corporations and Government will gladly accept the ill gotten $$$. I did not quote myself or anyone I know .
Last edited by TheOtherWhiteMeat on Feb 19th, 2017 8:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Brawls break out again at same Chuck E. Cheese's in California & Two 3 year old boys shot accidentally outside Fort Worth Chuck E. Cheese’s "
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
14142 posts
2361 upvotes
Toronto
TheOtherWhiteMeat wrote:
Feb 19th, 2017 8:55 am
Thanks for the link:

Often things are taxed and shouldn't be but the Corporations and Government will gladly accept the ill gotten $$$. I did not quote myself or anyone I know .
I got taxed on one line and not the other but was told it was supposed to get taxed. Furthermore, other prepaid carriers charge tax.
Feb 13, 2017
257 posts
1250 upvotes
Bin Dopin's CANistan
EugW wrote:
Feb 19th, 2017 9:27 am
I got taxed on one line and not the other but was told it was supposed to get taxed. Furthermore, other prepaid carriers charge tax.
Based on your experience or speculation as its apparent that YMMV.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
14142 posts
2361 upvotes
Toronto
TheOtherWhiteMeat wrote:
Feb 19th, 2017 9:34 am
Based on your experience or speculation as its apparent that YMMV.
You're supposed to get charged tax. That some people don't is just a glitch. The fact that other prepaid carriers charge tax is further evidence to this. Furthermore, when you buy Public Mobile prepaid cards at say Canadian Tire, you will get charged tax. This is the way it is supposed to work.

Bottom line is you can't assume that Public Mobile doesn't charge tax, even if you are lucky enough to benefit from the glitch.
Feb 13, 2017
257 posts
1250 upvotes
Bin Dopin's CANistan
Bottom Line is that people are further ahead to stay with Public mobile whether or not they have the privilege of paying tax.
We do not pay tax on prepaid with the carriers we use.
ENJOY THE GLITCH !
Feb 13, 2017
257 posts
1250 upvotes
Bin Dopin's CANistan
Downvote from 1 person in thread: "Public mobile increasing the rates of their legacy plans for 3$ on April 1st"
Feb 19th, 2017 10:12 am
Thanks Lurker
Await Your SplAnatation
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
14142 posts
2361 upvotes
Toronto
TheOtherWhiteMeat wrote:
Feb 19th, 2017 9:45 am
Bottom Line is that people are further ahead to stay with Public mobile whether or not they have the privilege of paying tax.
We do not pay tax on prepaid with the carriers we use.
ENJOY THE GLITCH !
Billing issues are amongst the things that are supposed to be fixed with the Public Mobile site revamp.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 15, 2004
5818 posts
591 upvotes
I can see that they will eventually do this for all the plans on PM and just shut it down.
Like how Rogers bought Mobilicity and shut it down.
There is no need to have so many discount carriers when there is only the big3 running the show with mininal competition.
The future is friendly for them.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2013
4078 posts
1359 upvotes
BC
sf1 wrote:
Feb 19th, 2017 1:48 pm
I can see that they will eventually do this for all the plans on PM and just shut it down.
Like how Rogers bought Mobilicity and shut it down.
There is no need to have so many discount carriers when there is only the big3 running the show with mininal competition.
The future is friendly for them.
Mobilicity customers were grandfathered on Chatr with no price increases for 95% of customers. In fact, Mobi customers plans were improved with bigger coverage areas, data speed limits were bumped up to 3 Mbps from 2 Mbps, and everyone got $100 ($10 for 10 months) in credits during the transfer.

Rogers still has at least 4 different major brands even after shutting down Mobilicity (Rogers, Fido, Chatr, Citiphone/Zoomer). Telus only has 3 (Telus, Koodo, Public). If Telus was going to kill PM off, they would have done so already.

Telus has already invested money in completely changing PM's structure and pricing/service model, they'll keep it around long enough to recover any costs. Public Mobile barely has any employees (maybe 10 max), costs are low and profits are high. Based on the account numbers, it seems like PM has accumulated at least 100,000 customers in Canada if not more.
A wise RFD'er once said, "Buy now, think later."

¯\_(-.-)_/¯
Feb 13, 2017
257 posts
1250 upvotes
Bin Dopin's CANistan
Downvote from 1 person in thread: "Public mobile increasing the rates of their legacy plans for 3$ on April 1st"
Feb 19th, 2017 4:27 pm

Thanks Corporate Pencil Necks!
And another thing - if my name is slenderized or dilapidated in any way, I'm gonna sue. I'll take this case right to Extreme Court.
Reminds me of a Joke.
5 morons walk into a forum and all manage to press a button at the same time with their free hand. Actually its 5 jokes that choose to remain hidden behind a vile while performing a down stroke in private.
Last edited by TheOtherWhiteMeat on Feb 19th, 2017 4:28 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2013
4078 posts
1359 upvotes
BC
d1ulove3 wrote:
Feb 18th, 2017 3:18 pm
Good bye $40 4gb I think coz they didn't mention about it. Time to look for another promo ASAP.
The price increase is for plans from January 2015 and earlier that include call support.
A wise RFD'er once said, "Buy now, think later."

¯\_(-.-)_/¯
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2008
1487 posts
406 upvotes
Victoria
d1ulove3 wrote:
Feb 18th, 2017 3:18 pm
Good bye $40 4gb I think coz they didn't mention about it. Time to look for another promo ASAP.
Completely different situation. Telus wants those legacy customers moved to Koodo because they have an expectation of telephone technical support and some extra feature options. You're going to be safe for a long time with that $40 plan because it is setup the way Public Mobile wants their plans moving forward.

Only threat to your $40 plan is if Freedom Mobile goes under, since Telus seems to be using Public Mobile to compete with them.
Feb 13, 2017
257 posts
1250 upvotes
Bin Dopin's CANistan
MaxPower19 wrote:
Feb 19th, 2017 4:49 pm
Telus wants those legacy customers moved to Koodo because they have an expectation of telephone technical support
Technically support can"t be much worse than the support hose offered previously by Public Mobile when ran by Alek Krstajic.