Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Public Mobile

Limited Time 4GB / $40 Plan Promo

Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2006
4264 posts
5639 upvotes
Muskoka
rolomonster wrote:
spotts01 wrote: Fongo would also work to receive calls when out of province. Not too many have mentioned here, but Call Forwarding is included with this PM plan. So get a Fongo number in your home province, and when you leave, just Fwd your PM number to your Fongo number. Now you will receive calls anywhere your device has data. And if you want go nuts, get the Hangouts dialer to make outgoing calls to anywhere in Cda/US (no Fongo major city restrictions) . Link your cell number to the Hangouts app and then people will think you are calling from your cell - voip quality issues aside.
Would the forwarding from PM to Fongo not be considered long distance if your PM phone is in another province? Ie. 416 PM line forwarded to a 416 Fongo line, but you are in Manitoba. Since 416 111 1111 is in Manitoba, wouldnt forwarding to Fongo be considered out of the province your in? Or would you forward to a Manitoba fongo line?
No, Fongo would not be considered long distance. The provincial restrictions at PublicMobile are only for your PM voice number. SMS text and DATA are Cda wide. Fongo only uses data. You can be anywhere in the world (or international space station as many have pointed out) and receive a 416Fongo call so long as your device has a data connection. This connection can be either some mobile network or WiFi. So while you are in Canada, you can use PM data. If you leave Canada, you need to find some other data source.

For this to work, just make sure your Fongo number is in the same province as your PM number.
Public Mobile
Deal Addict
Mar 6, 2002
1359 posts
717 upvotes
Vancouver
Unless you find someone in your area that can sell or give you a sim card, the fastest and only way is to order sim card from Public Mobile website.
Feb 19, 2004
366 posts
193 upvotes
scouzer wrote:
mikka1989 wrote:
andrew_canada wrote: This plan is incredible, im leaving a 40$ 200 min 6gb Corp plan from Rogers for this. Thanks a lot!
No way.... I'd keep that rogers plan... 6gb and best reception. And speed jmo
Are you insane? Rogers' coverage is terrible compared to Telus/Bell. Way, way smaller network.
Used PM for two days in conjunction with the 3gb Fido data plan.
I constantly lose internet at work with PM, and as soon as I switch to Fido, I get internet back.
I guess it depends on the location..
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2006
1511 posts
31 upvotes
1) Coming from Rogers, is it as simple as ordering a SIM and registering once I receive it? Populating my cell #/account details will automatically transfer my cell to PM (from Rogers) and automatically cancel things on my Rogers' end?
2) I couldn't find their addons section without having an account, is there call display / name display?

Apologize, tried searching but there are so many pages it wasn't populating properly.
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
21223 posts
6990 upvotes
GTA
gwu wrote: 1) Coming from Rogers, is it as simple as ordering a SIM and registering once I receive it? Populating my cell #/account details will automatically transfer my cell to PM (from Rogers) and automatically cancel things on my Rogers' end?
2) I couldn't find their addons section without having an account, is there call display / name display?

Apologize, tried searching but there are so many pages it wasn't populating properly.
1. Yup, as long as you don't have any contract left or phone subsidies, you will be pro-rated until the day you port off.
2. Public Mobile only has call display, so you will only see the phone number.

There is also a thread summary on the 1st page for much more info.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21329 posts
10938 upvotes
Oakville
Thatdealguy wrote: I rmber its 12 GB for 3 months mean if I can use

2gb in first month
4gb in 2nd month
6gb in 3rd month
Yes, that's correct
Deal Addict
May 30, 2011
3327 posts
1948 upvotes
Ordered my SIM cards (x2) from PM on Tuesday Oct 21 - received order confirmation email same day @ 12:21. No further communication as of now (no shipping, etc).
I thought these were supposed to be delivered in 1-2 business days? I am not in the GTA so was expecting 2 days (that would be today). Anyone else order same day/time and get nothing??
Deal Fanatic
May 19, 2005
5042 posts
2739 upvotes
Earth
The 3 months flexibility is great.

November is an average month so you use 3GB. December is crazy busy organizing parties, YouTubing how to put together that thingamagy you just got for Christams, video chat with family etc... 7GB, then 2GB left for a slow January. You can slice it anyway you need. Most people don't use the exact same amount of data every month so I love this rolling data. Wished they had an annual rolling data. 40GB for a year for $480 would be even more amazing, even though it would be 8GB less than this plan.
Some people just don't get that online forum posts shouldn't always be taken seriously.

$99 10GB/month Can/US/Mexico, 1000 minutes, free evenings and weekend
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
21223 posts
6990 upvotes
GTA
Jonavin wrote: The 3 months flexibility is great.

November is an average month so you use 3GB. December is crazy busy organizing parties, YouTubing how to put together that thingamagy you just got for Christams, video chat with family etc... 7GB, then 2GB left for a slow January. You can slice it anyway you need. Most people don't use the exact same amount of data every month so I love this rolling data. Wished they had an annual rolling data. 40GB for a year for $480 would be even more amazing, even though it would be 8GB less than this plan.
Phone plans that you pay only what you use? No, that can't ever happen, makes too much sense!
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2007
4391 posts
1505 upvotes
QC
Thatdealguy wrote: Rogers and Fido have EXTended coverages.
In theory, it's a good idea. In practices, that's another story.

Let's say you know you are going to lose signal, Rogers/Fido will only switch when the carrier if out of signal completely. That means that you are going to have 2G or lower (AKA no internet) as long as you have signal. Their threshold is too low. It's definitely better than nothing, but not as good as having always signal.
Jul 10, 2008
606 posts
31 upvotes
I ordered on the 25 but I am in Alliston and have not received my sim either. Hoping it comes today so I can port my wife from Wind.
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2005
3246 posts
1807 upvotes
yuan23 wrote: I'm thinking of switching to this. I'm with Zoomer currently but my contract ends not until Feb next year but early cancellation might not be that costly. I don't know if I should wait for my contract to end and hope that there will be another promo like this next year.
When Zoomer came out with these plans, I sold the phone that came with the plan for more than what I'm going to pay for a few months early cancellation. So it may work out if you've got a few months left on your plan.
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2014
1129 posts
525 upvotes
Corunna, ON
imm1304 wrote: If you are in a hurry to join, I have a few spare PM sim cards so I can give 1 away for free. As long as you are in Toronto and willing to come pick it up.

techfox wrote:
XiaohanJ117 wrote:
I won't expect it to arrive tomorrow if I were you. Because you said you just ordered it and now it is closing to Canada post's cut off time. Although they are using CP xpress, which should arrive the next business day after shipping in Toronto.
Thanks for raining on my parade.
Promise you won't murder me ??? :) :) :)
Oct 14, 2012
434 posts
285 upvotes
Toronto
charltonc wrote:
scouzer wrote:
mikka1989 wrote:
No way.... I'd keep that rogers plan... 6gb and best reception. And speed jmo
Are you insane? Rogers' coverage is terrible compared to Telus/Bell. Way, way smaller network.
I constantly lose internet at work with PM, and as soon as I switch to Fido, I get internet back.
Which city are you located?
Sep 7, 2006
84 posts
26 upvotes
I need a new line, but I am in barrie, area code, 705. Sounds like newly assigned numbers are in a Toronto area code. Should I get a cheap prepaid local number for a month then port it in on PM? Anyone successfully port in a 705 area code?

Awaiting sim ordered 25th 6pm, no email confirmation of shipping, just the order.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8938 upvotes
Toronto
cartfan123 wrote:
EugW wrote: Not sure, and will decide in November, but I'm thinking I may just forego this deal and wait for the Black Friday deals for a Canada-wide plan with proper billing invoices. I'm thinking the Transaction Histories from PM plus credit card statements will be good enough for tax purposes but it's just one more factor holding me back, in addition to the lack of Canada-wide (even though I could get away with just using an LD add-on), the lack of international roaming (even though US roaming is coming soon), and the lack of Visual Voicemail. I don't want to give up those other features to save $10 per month. If I can get a $50 4GB post-paid Canada-wide plan with proper invoices, that'd be good enough. If not then c'est la vie. Paying $56 post-paid right now for 4 GB incl. Canada-wide, and VVM, but that can include a phone subsidy (if desired) for no extra money. (With credits and the free phone I got that I promptly sold, it has worked out to a monthly cost of around $41.50 per month for the last two years, although it's mostly been at 2 GB. I was only upgraded to 4 GB recently.)

As I alluded to, I get a tax break on my phone bill, so that extra per month cost isn't completely out-of-pocket.
BlueSkyzz wrote: What is everyone doing for visual voicemail?
Crying? It's not supported.
rolomonster wrote:

I tried. They basically told me oh wells, we have nothing better than your current plan to offer you. I have the $56 25gb unlimited Canada wide. I think I'm limited with offers because I still have a hefty balance for my device... Still leaving Fido though cause they didn't even try to keep me.
Is that a typo? I have never heard of that plan at Fido.

--
I'm sorta in the same boat with $39 Smart Plan but only 600mb of data. But last time I renewed in Dec 2014 I got a Nexus 5 and $150 bill credit...bringing my effective monthly cost down to $21 after selling the N5 for $300. I now use more data than that I have to supplement with the 3gb data plan for tablets bringing me back up to $36 a month. So it's not a slam dunk calc for me to move to PM. If there's no renewal bonuses over Black Friday similar to last time I'll probably then jump ship. Fido's $50 3gb BYOD just isn't competitive for me right now.

I'm also tired of Fido's tricks like last year hoisting Vice or Spotify on you at "no charge".
Spotify seems to be quite popular but for me it's completely pointless. I'd rather have VVM included. Luckily my 2 GB plan includes it (and not Spotify). However, ever since I got my iPhone 7 Plus I find I'm using more data which can push me into the 2.5 - 3 GB range.

I guess to be competitive they bumped me up to 4 GB for free but that's just for a year. Going forward I'll want a true 4 GB plan.

The problem is that although in the past the post-paid ones had good subsidies and good credits at holiday time, it seems they are becoming more stingy. Here's hoping for Koodo to have a decent 4 GB plan this year, to replace my Fido plan.
Feb 19, 2004
366 posts
193 upvotes
CoastalWaves wrote:
charltonc wrote:
scouzer wrote:

Which city are you located?
GTA.. Near Pearson.
I am in a shielded building so reception is expected to be iffy. However, fido proved to work a lot better than telus or PM for the two, now three days I have had it.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 13, 2003
5408 posts
6418 upvotes
After 3 months, if you renew this plan, does the data allotment remain the same (12GB every 3 months)?
get what is cheap, not what you need :lol:
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
21223 posts
6990 upvotes
GTA
BB88 wrote: After 3 months, if you renew this plan, does the data allotment remain the same (12GB every 3 months)?
Yes, it will reset every 90 days, except for any add-on's which will roll over until expended.
Oct 11, 2004
845 posts
181 upvotes
Toronto
I wish the data overages were more reasonable with providers. I used 6gb one month on my 5gb plan. My whole plan is $50 a month and it was a $50 overage for the extra 1gb...

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)