Expired Hot Deals

Locked: [Public Mobile] Public Mobile $23 for unlimited Canada wide talk, unlimited international text, 1GB 3G/LTE lite data

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 21st, 2019 4:30 pm
Banned
Nov 23, 2018
592 posts
511 upvotes
tor98 wrote:
Mar 15th, 2019 2:34 pm
Ported yesterday and already received an email from Fido stating that they miss me :) The fact is I don't miss them and I have already noticed the improved call quality
They will give you a call and give you a killer deal. Then you will be crawling back to them.
Apr 1, 2007
379 posts
179 upvotes
Toronto
verby wrote:
Mar 15th, 2019 3:01 pm
when you port # is there some confirmation page? my submit page didn't refresh and don't know if it went through
Try to login to your account with the registered email. Also, put your SIM in your mobile and try it
Feb 7, 2008
790 posts
260 upvotes
Okanagan
where is my phone number in my account overview. Does it show you what number you have?
tor98 wrote:
Mar 15th, 2019 3:04 pm
Try to login to your account with the registered email. Also, put your SIM in your mobile and try it
Apr 1, 2007
379 posts
179 upvotes
Toronto
BRKAMZN wrote:
Mar 15th, 2019 3:03 pm
They will give you a call and give you a killer deal. Then you will be crawling back to them.
I doubt I go back to Fido, waiting for Lucky Mobile to match PM deal to go to them. I can have their service on my eSim and use my tablet SIM for additional data.
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2005
1290 posts
663 upvotes
Earth
verby wrote:
Mar 15th, 2019 3:07 pm
where is my phone number in my account overview. Does it show you what number you have?
No, I don't think your number is listed there; at least I didn't see mine the last time I checked.

Once the port is complete, you will be able to see your phone number on your phone, in Settings.
Last edited by Oatmeal on Mar 15th, 2019 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zoomer Wireless: $45 6GB 4G LTE
Public Mobile
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2006
1081 posts
11 upvotes
verby wrote:
when you port # is there some confirmation page? my submit page didn't refresh and don't know if it went through
I never got one, just when I signed back in my number changed to what I ported to. Then a few hours later I got a text that it was successful.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
18824 posts
6838 upvotes
Toronto
verby wrote:
When the port is submitted successfully you get a little box near the top of the page that says success. There is not a lot of fanfare.
̶K̶o̶o̶d̶o̶ ̶$̶4̶0̶/̶6̶G̶B̶
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB, $28 RBC 5GB promo
Fido $0.00/3GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank
Deal Guru
Aug 6, 2001
13387 posts
1694 upvotes
Mississauga
tor98 wrote:
Ported yesterday and already received an email from Fido stating that they miss me :) The fact is I don't miss them and I have already noticed the improved call quality
Telus/Bell network rocks in LTE and Voice Quality.

I get 12mbps on 4/5 bars LTE on Rogers (Expensive Corp line on top!).
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2019
1497 posts
1684 upvotes
canuckcolehead wrote:
Mar 15th, 2019 12:45 pm
Last Q’s... I read the referral credits take 72 hours or so to show up.... can I activate a SIM and wait for the referral credit to show up before picking a plan... therefore getting the first month free (on the $25 plan)?

Or do I need to pay for the first month upon Sim activation?
My expereinces have been that the $25 referral bonuses usually show up the next day between 3:30 and 3:45am (Eastern), but be prepared for that up to 72 hours just in case. I'm sure that this next part has already been answered, but new customers need to pay for the first 30 days for this offering.
Public Mobile client: $60 calls/texts/12GB
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2008
1163 posts
763 upvotes
tor98 wrote:
Funny that they don't try and offer a better deal even ANYTHING and wait until you actually go.
will888 wrote:
Mar 15th, 2019 2:22 pm
The Public Mobile self serve model can be intimidating. Because it is a computer you are dealing with and not a person, they are not forgiving if you mistype the smallest thing. This is pretty much the pitfall that affects people who run into problems. If entries are triple checked before submitting, the computer is very efficient and accurate. BTW, how do you shoehorn 10GB of usage into this plan. You are going to run out of data after the first week.
LOL!

No, the first two are for my kids, the $25 one for my son - 1 gig is enough and he can call anytime everywhere, and probably the $45 one when my daughter returns, for me I'm considering the $50 8 gig plan (not totally sold as I can't activate Apple Watch and no roam like home), but still thinking about it.

MP

And as for the computer, I love it, would much rather do this than risk trying to talk to someone, case in point... I just called freedom to ensure the ported account was closed, and somehow she started asking if I am reactivating the account and that is could be done immediately.

I speak English as a first language, and the call centre CSR definitely did not, so again it seemed like a Laurel and Hardy routine, I made sure I said a dozen times, DO NOT REACTIVATE, CANCEL THIS ACCOUNT, I WILL DISPOSE OF THE SIM...

I was scared to even say I will keep the sim as a back-up because there was so much confusion.... So, yes! This is way better!

MP
Last edited by MexicanPeso on Mar 15th, 2019 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2019
1497 posts
1684 upvotes
weedb0y wrote:
Mar 15th, 2019 3:54 pm
Telus/Bell network rocks in LTE and Voice Quality.

I get 12mbps on 4/5 bars LTE on Rogers (Expensive Corp line on top!).
I'm sure LTE voice calling is good, but I wouldn't consider it an absolute necessity.

I would consider 12Mbps LTE terrible. Of course, that is dependent that is dependent on location and network conditons. I'm probably spoiled by this, but an LTE plans at Public, I've routinely gotten 200 to 300Mbps. Even on the HSPA+ network, I almost always get better than 12Mbps.
Last edited by computergeek541 on Mar 15th, 2019 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
18824 posts
6838 upvotes
Toronto
computergeek541 wrote:
Mar 15th, 2019 4:09 pm
I'm sure LTE voice calling is good, but I wouldn't consider it an absolute necessity.

I would consider 12Mbps LTE terrible. Of course, that is dependent that is dependent on location and network conditons. I'm probably spoiled by this, but an LTE plans at Public, I've routinely gotten 200 to 300Mbps. Even on the HSPA+ network, I almost get better than 12Mbps.
+1. We are talking about a dirt cheap plan here that comes with talk, text and data. Telus is not stupid. They want to differentiate the top tier brand so those willing to pay for the frills can do so.
̶K̶o̶o̶d̶o̶ ̶$̶4̶0̶/̶6̶G̶B̶
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB, $28 RBC 5GB promo
Fido $0.00/3GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2019
1497 posts
1684 upvotes
will888 wrote:
Mar 15th, 2019 4:16 pm
+1. We are talking about a dirt cheap plan here that comes with talk, text and data. Telus is not stupid. They want to differentiate the top tier brand so those willing to pay for the frills can do so.
12Mbps or 300Mbps? Let's see which 1080p conpressed video on Netflix plays better. Wait... There's no difference? Or a split second second delay before it starts playing? I know that 3Mbps is a little on the slow side, relatively speaking, but you can still do most things without needing to first go get a coffee for the wait. Marketing-wise, many may not like the sounds of data at "3g" speeds, but we all need to conpare speed to price ratios. The Public Mobile pricing is excellent.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2006
4494 posts
1418 upvotes
Winnipeg
My sim came today at 4pm. (Winnipeg) Ordered Wednesday at midnight so total 40 hours shipping.... not too shabby.