Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Public Mobile

Public Mobile Holiday Sale: Free Second "Month" w/Activation of ANY Plan (On New Account)- Starts December 20, 2019

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 23rd, 2020 11:17 pm
Sep 15, 2018
439 posts
90 upvotes
Kfox wrote: If 100 minutes outgoing isn't enough for you, Freedom prepaid has a deal right now for unlimited calling and texts, no data, $14 a month for 12 months ($19 a month thereafter)
Is this still available? Link? Thanks.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2019
4025 posts
6396 upvotes
Kyle12345 wrote: Is this still available? Link? Thanks.
Not only is that Freedom offer a temporary price, but you'd have to put up with the network. Admittedly, Public Mobile's customer service sometimes leaves a lot to be desired (because of no call centre), but that's something that you should only rarely need. The network itself is used every day.

For more than 100 outgoing minutes, I'd suggest the $25 Public Mobile plan instead.
Public Mobile customer: $40 75GB 5G Canada-US plan
EQ Bank Savings Plus Account
Wealthsimple Premium client
Neo Financial customer
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
13460 posts
12205 upvotes
computergeek541 wrote: Not only is that Freedom offer a temporary price, but you'd have to put up with the network. Admittedly, Public Mobile's customer service sometimes leaves a lot to be desired (because of no call centre), but that's something that you should only rarely need. The network itself is used every day.

For more than 100 outgoing minutes, I'd suggest the $25 Public Mobile plan instead.
PM support is provided by the community forum. People knows every PM problems.
On the other hand, we don't know the issues with other providers who have the call center.
Are we going to assume that they don't have issues similar to PM?
They may have more serious issues than PM which we don't know.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Public Mobile $34 15GB, $11 250MB, 2x $5 50min/50text, $0 FPL home phone,
Fido $5 4GB plan with a free tablet.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2019
4025 posts
6396 upvotes
This offer has expired.
Neo Financial customer
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
6758 posts
1786 upvotes
Montreal
Question about using PM in the US.

I'm heading to Florida soon for 2 weeks. For years until now, I've used Roam Mobility very successfully even though Roam support isn't what it used to be. The last time I used Roam was last June and it was fine. Now, having switched to Public's $25 plan, I have the option of just adding a Public Mobile US, Talk, Text, & Data add-on bundle rather than going with Roam.

What that does is save me the job of swapping out sim cards and crossing the border would be transparent. If I buy the Public add-on, I would need 2 addons of 10 days each even though I'll be gone for 15 days. If I bought the Roam Mobility lite monthly top-up, the cost would be the same ($40) but i would get more (probably faster) data that I'm not likely to use up.

Also, you can't schedule the PM US addon to start at a later date/time like you can with Roam. It starts the moment you add it and after the 10th day, you have to add another 10 days. The procedure, particularly with autopay, seems a bit convoluted as you have to add funds first before actually buying the addon.

So the question is: Has anyone used the Public Mobile US add-on - particularly around Fort Lauderdale? How was it? I presume it's similar to Telus reliability however I haven't been able to find adequate details on the Public website. Except for the swap of SIM card and not having my Canadian phone number available, Roam seems like the better option.
Phils
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2019
4025 posts
6396 upvotes
Phils wrote: Question about using PM in the US.

I'm heading to Florida soon for 2 weeks. For years until now, I've used Roam Mobility very successfully even though Roam support isn't what it used to be. The last time I used Roam was last June and it was fine. Now, having switched to Public's $25 plan, I have the option of just adding a Public Mobile US, Talk, Text, & Data add-on bundle rather than going with Roam.

What that does is save me the job of swapping out sim cards and crossing the border would be transparent. If I buy the Public add-on, I would need 2 addons of 10 days each even though I'll be gone for 15 days. If I bought the Roam Mobility lite monthly top-up, the cost would be the same ($40) but i would get more (probably faster) data that I'm not likely to use up.

Also, you can't schedule the PM US addon to start at a later date/time like you can with Roam. It starts the moment you add it and after the 10th day, you have to add another 10 days. The procedure, particularly with autopay, seems a bit convoluted as you have to add funds first before actually buying the addon.

So the question is: Has anyone used the Public Mobile US add-on - particularly around Fort Lauderdale? How was it? I presume it's similar to Telus reliability however I haven't been able to find adequate details on the Public website. Except for the swap of SIM card and not having my Canadian phone number available, Roam seems like the better option.
When it comes to needing roaming for 20 days, you would need to purchase one 10 day add-on at a time. Unfortunately, when the first add-on expires, the self serve system will not allow you to re-purchase that add-on for use for another 10 days unless you wait 24 hours. Add-ons always start immediately as soon as they are purchased.
Neo Financial customer
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
6758 posts
1786 upvotes
Montreal
Thanks, as it happens, I wasn't getting any responses here so I posted in the Cell Phone sub-forum where I learned what you say.

I decided to stick with Roam Mobility in the US. Lycamobile was recommended as an alternative which I think was a good suggestion but I'll stick with what I have.
Phils
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2019
4025 posts
6396 upvotes
Phils wrote: Thanks, as it happens, I wasn't getting any responses here so I posted in the Cell Phone sub-forum where I learned what you say.

I decided to stick with Roam Mobility in the US. Lycamobile was recommended as an alternative which I think was a good suggestion but I'll stick with what I have.
It sounds like you've figured out what to do. When you initially posted this question, you did so in a thread about an expired sale/offer. When promotions expire, people usually aren't paying too much attention to those threads.
Neo Financial customer
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
13460 posts
12205 upvotes
computergeek541 wrote: When it comes to needing roaming for 20 days, you would need to purchase one 10 day add-on at a time. Unfortunately, when the first add-on expires, the self serve system will not allow you to re-purchase that add-on for use for another 10 days unless you wait 24 hours. Add-ons always start immediately as soon as they are purchased.
PM should have fixed US roaming add-on issue which makes it difficult for subscribers. Nobody will put up with this extra work while on vacation. Also, no text message for a day after coming back from vacation.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Public Mobile $34 15GB, $11 250MB, 2x $5 50min/50text, $0 FPL home phone,
Fido $5 4GB plan with a free tablet.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
6758 posts
1786 upvotes
Montreal
computergeek541 wrote: When you initially posted this question, you did so in a thread about an expired sale/offer. When promotions expire, people usually aren't paying too much attention to those threads.
True, but I figured it will notify a lot of people with the question. Starting a new thread meant no-one would be notified automatically.
That being said, it took the latter to arrive at a decision.
Phils

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)