Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

Locked: [Public Mobile] Public Mobile New $15/Month Plan 100min Canadawide talk+unlimited int'l text+bonus 250mb data w/ autopay

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 19th, 2019 11:39 pm
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
7725 posts
5238 upvotes
Canada
greg123 wrote: Does esim work with PM or is it only the big 3 for now?
No e sim with public
Nov 12, 2015
200 posts
167 upvotes
Victoria
No esim is not supported on Public Mobile
Public Mobile Fall Promo
Koodo $35/5GB and $40/6GB
Shaw 600 + Basic Cable w/ 5 Theme Packs, Home Phone + 1 Year Netflix Credit ($162) + $250 Bill Credit = $87/24 months
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2019
4025 posts
6396 upvotes
I wouldn't even count on it any time soon.
Public Mobile customer: $40 75GB 5G Canada-US plan
EQ Bank Savings Plus Account
Wealthsimple Premium client
Neo Financial customer
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
13460 posts
12205 upvotes
The following picture is from an mobilesyrup article .

Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Public Mobile $34 15GB, $11 250MB, 2x $5 50min/50text, $0 FPL home phone,
Fido $5 4GB plan with a free tablet.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2014
1658 posts
2172 upvotes
embguy wrote: The following picture is from an mobilesyrup article .
That speed on Public Mobile is the actual 3G speed. If you are connected with LTE, speed will be 3 Mbps. I am not sure what the speed for Lucky is when you force 3G connection instead of LTE.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2019
4025 posts
6396 upvotes
That graph is funny by comparing Telus, Koodo, and Public Mobile speeds since it's all the same network and backhaul. The speeds would be virtually identical if the customer choose a full speed plan at Public Mobile, with the exception being for a few months when a bunch of customers noticed slower LTE speeds than at Telus. Members called out Public Mobile on this and it was eventually corrected. As of now, the only reason for slower speeds at Public Mobile than either Telus or Koodo would be because of the plan chosen.
Neo Financial customer
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2017
2085 posts
1541 upvotes
Vancouver
Big 3? Did something change? Telus has esim now? They didn't last time I checked. Source?
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2017
2444 posts
3168 upvotes
Public mobile is no frills. Don't expect e SIM card, Wifi/Viop calling, international roaming. You get what you pay for.....
Public Mobile, Tangerine
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
13460 posts
12205 upvotes
computergeek541 wrote: That graph is funny by comparing Telus, Koodo, and Public Mobile speeds since it's all the same network and backhaul. The speeds would be virtually identical if the customer choose a full speed plan at Public Mobile, with the exception being for a few months when a bunch of customers noticed slower LTE speeds than at Telus. Members called out Public Mobile on this and it was eventually corrected. As of now, the only reason for slower speeds at Public Mobile than either Telus or Koodo would be because of the plan chosen.
Title of the graph is 3G and 4G. The Telus and Koodo speed is 4G speed and PM speed is 3G speed. They should have label the graph correctly.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Public Mobile $34 15GB, $11 250MB, 2x $5 50min/50text, $0 FPL home phone,
Fido $5 4GB plan with a free tablet.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2017
2444 posts
3168 upvotes
For most people's needs, the Public mobile data speeds will work. It has LTE latency, throttled to 3G speeds. For uses like checking email, messaging, regular you tube, spotify, etc most people will not notice big difference. However, if you are streaming HD content, that would be a difference but obviously use up a lot of data.

Don't bother testing your data speeds especially in the first few days (since the data is full LTE) because you will use up a lot of data. For this plan, probably use your whole month allotment with a coupe of data speed tets.
Public Mobile, Tangerine
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2019
4025 posts
6396 upvotes
With all this talk about 3g speeds, when the plan only has 250MB, I don't believe the reduced 3g speeds (compared to LTE speed plans) makes any difference. Such customers who sign up to such a plan with such a small amount of data clearly aren't reliant on data, and likely don't use it enough to notice or sometimes even care what the speed is, as long as it works.
Neo Financial customer
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2010
7393 posts
2944 upvotes
Calgary
injust wrote:
Until 11:59 PM (eastern) on the 18th, PM has the following promotion: If you are referred by another user when you activate your new line, said user gets $25 credit and so do you.

However, this is only for online activations. So you have to do the activation yourself, online at https://activate.publicmobile.ca. If you do it at TMS, you don't get the $25 (only get the standard $10).

All you need is an existing Public Mobile client's phone number to enter in the activation form. The $25 should show up within 72 hours of activation, but probably sooner.
computergeek541 wrote: You can refer yourself, but only if you already have an existing Public Mobile account. Any Public Mobile customer can refer you. Do not activate at the store if you want the $25 credit, which is only avalible for online activations until March 18. Not only would you revieve only $10, but the person who referred you would get neither.

As for the plans that new customers can choose from, the $2 autopay reward can be applied to any of them.
Thank you both. I was thinking to refer myself by getting the $10 plan today then immediately use that account to get a new line for the $15 plan. In that case, I would get $25 on both accounts, am I correct? But now I come to think of it, I may as well give the $25 bonus to a referrer since I just want to get a line for our son. As for myself, I am pretty happy with $25/year SpeakOut minutes plus the Fido 3GB tablet plan, the PM $10 plan doesn't benefit me after the $25 referral bonus.

As for those "well meaning" RFDers who have messaged me with your numbers thank you kindly. Rest assured I don't need any more numbers so you can stop now.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2019
4025 posts
6396 upvotes
althetrainer wrote: Thank you both. I was thinking to refer myself by getting the $10 plan today then immediately use that account to get a new line for the $15 plan. In that case, I would get $25 on both accounts, am I correct? But now I come to think of it, I may as well give the $25 bonus to a referrer since I just want to get a line for our son. As for myself, I am pretty happy with $25/year SpeakOut minutes plus the Fido 3GB tablet plan, the PM $10 plan doesn't benefit me after the $25 referral bonus.

As for those "well meaning" RFDers who have messaged me with your numbers thank you kindly. Rest assured I don't need any more numbers so you can stop now.
Yes, both the person being referred and the person referring would get that $25 credit.
Neo Financial customer
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2010
7393 posts
2944 upvotes
Calgary
computergeek541 wrote: Yes, both the person being referred and the person referring would get that $25 credit.
That's what I thought. Thank you. Now i need to come up with a strategy to make the best of the $50+ SpeakOut balance on my son"s phone.
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2005
1567 posts
888 upvotes
Earth
althetrainer wrote: That's what I thought. Thank you. Now i need to come up with a strategy to make the best of the $50+ SpeakOut balance on my son"s phone.
Call the CRA; that should burn up a few hours on hold, LOL!
Telus $45 25GB, Unlimited talk/text Nationwide
Public Mobile
Feb 6, 2019
12 posts
Hey guys is it possible to enable auto-pay and get the bonus data but cancel the auto-pay after the first month???
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2019
4025 posts
6396 upvotes
Hsv123 wrote: Hey guys is it possible to enable auto-pay and get the bonus data but cancel the auto-pay after the first month???
Sure, but after you do that, the Autopay bonus should/would fall off for the next renewal.
Last edited by computergeek541 on Mar 16th, 2019 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neo Financial customer
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2005
1567 posts
888 upvotes
Earth
Hsv123 wrote: Hey guys is it possible to enable auto-pay and get the bonus data but cancel the auto-pay after the first month???
So you're going to turn off autopay once you receive the $2 credit? What's the point of that? Are you only staying with Public Mobile for one month? As long as you keep autopay ON, you will receive the $2 credit AND bonus data. Are we missing something?
Telus $45 25GB, Unlimited talk/text Nationwide
Public Mobile
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2010
7393 posts
2944 upvotes
Calgary
Oatmeal wrote: Call the CRA; that should burn up a few hours on hold, LOL!
:lol: good plan. Or call Shaw Cable, pretty much the same story.
Feb 6, 2019
12 posts
Oatmeal wrote: So you're going to turn off autopay once you receive the $2 credit? What's the point of that? Are you only staying with Public Mobile for one month? As long as you keep autopay ON, you will receive the $2 credit AND bonus data. Are we missing something?
I only want to try it for one month and test the data too

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)