Cell Phones

[Public Mobile] Refer-a-friend Promo $10 credit for friend, $1/month ongoing for you

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 15th, 2018 1:06 am
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2008
1340 posts
360 upvotes
GTA
Blehh wrote:
Apr 19th, 2018 2:10 pm
depending on how much data u need, u can sign up to the $8/month (50 minutes/50txts) plan and buy a 1gb data add-on for $30, which rolls over every month until it is all used up
Anyway, I got my answers already.

Thanks to all.
¸

- - - - -
2 x Zoomer accounts
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2006
7365 posts
2564 upvotes
Markham
$1 per referral... until PM pulls the rug under you and move your referrals all to Koodo.
The myth on the Internet is that Canadians are nice people. Those people who say this just haven't been on RFD.
Apr 14, 2016
9 posts
8 upvotes
I've been using public mobile for a while now, and my loyalty reward is becoming significant.
Until today, I had a 90 day plan -
Unlimited provincial calling,
Unlimited canada texting
1.5GB at 3g speeds (this is actually LTE throttled to 2.5 - 3.0 Mbps per second) If you're the kind of person that is happy with 500MB of data per month, than this is more than fast enough for you.
$90 minus $18 for rewards ($6 autopay, $6 loyalty, $6 referral) = $72 every 90 days.

Today I noticed that you can get all the above, but canada wide calling instead of provincial at the same price. So I changed to that.

$24 plus tax every 30 days for Canada wide call, text, voicemail and 500MB data. Can't beat that with a stick.
Jun 26, 2017
118 posts
26 upvotes
I'm a happy Public Mobile customer. Just saying, not trying to get referrals here.
Deal Addict
May 19, 2005
3414 posts
437 upvotes
Markham
$10 should just be a permenant thing. That'll make up for the sim card cost that used to be free.

On the $10 plan with referal and autopay; you can set up a cheaper US roaming than most carriers.
Some people just don't get that online forum posts shouldn't always be taken seriously.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
3400 posts
668 upvotes
GTA
MrRoboto69 wrote:
Apr 19th, 2018 2:56 pm
I've been using public mobile for a while now, and my loyalty reward is becoming significant.
Until today, I had a 90 day plan -
Unlimited provincial calling,
Unlimited canada texting
1.5GB at 3g speeds (this is actually LTE throttled to 2.5 - 3.0 Mbps per second) If you're the kind of person that is happy with 500MB of data per month, than this is more than fast enough for you.
$90 minus $18 for rewards ($6 autopay, $6 loyalty, $6 referral) = $72 every 90 days.

Today I noticed that you can get all the above, but canada wide calling instead of provincial at the same price. So I changed to that.

$24 plus tax every 30 days for Canada wide call, text, voicemail and 500MB data. Can't beat that with a stick.
Nice. Thanks for the heads up. Going to make that same change.
Deal Guru
Feb 6, 2003
10203 posts
470 upvotes
Vancouver
spotts01 wrote:
Apr 19th, 2018 12:06 pm
I don't think strangers will be referring each other with PM. You don't send a link like Koodo. You have to give them your PM phone number. I can't see people doing that for a simple $1.00 month.
I've given it out. What's the harm? Dozens of telemarketers already have my number.

I think one of these days PM will drop everyone to 3G. I'm surprised they haven't already. Until then, I'm holding onto my LTE plan and loyalty and referral rewards for dear life. My bill is half of what I'd be paying anywhere else, even with the best promo pricing.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2006
2395 posts
1087 upvotes
Muskoka
coopercold wrote:
Apr 19th, 2018 3:46 pm
So... if I get a new SIM card for my granddad then sign him up for the $10 plan ($8 effectively with autopay), then he refers my grandma, then my grandma will get a $10 credit (so basically free SIM) and my grandad's plan goes to $7/month?

So, for $10 (Grandad's SIM) + $10 (Grandma's SIM) - $10 (referral credit) + $(10 - 2 - 1)/month + $(? - 2)/month, both my grandparents can have mobile plans with Public Mobile?

Seems to good to be true!? Ho ho ho Merry Christmas to all!
Yes basically. To summarize, you can have both on their own plans for a total of $15/month plus tax. Upfront charges are $10 + tax since the 2nd SIM is basically free (plus tax).

Each plan will get 50min Cda Wide and 50 sent text with option to buy more minutes and data. Eligible for US roaming as well.
Koodo
Public Mobile
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2006
2395 posts
1087 upvotes
Muskoka
Amourek wrote:
Apr 19th, 2018 4:03 pm
I've given it out. What's the harm? Dozens of telemarketers already have my number.

I think one of these days PM will drop everyone to 3G. I'm surprised they haven't already. Until then, I'm holding onto my LTE plan and loyalty and referral rewards for dear life. My bill is half of what I'd be paying anywhere else, even with the best promo pricing.
PM uses your phone number to qualify you for various promos. I have heard of someone sniping someone else's PM number to grab the Koodo deal last month. Then when this person tried to get the promo for himself, it was denied because his number had already been used by the other person
Koodo
Public Mobile
Oct 12, 2015
105 posts
49 upvotes
Toronto, ON
coopercold wrote:
Apr 19th, 2018 3:46 pm
So... if I get a new SIM card for my granddad then sign him up for the $10 plan ($8 effectively with autopay), then he refers my grandma, then my grandma will get a $10 credit (so basically free SIM) and my grandad's plan goes to $7/month?

So, for $10 (Grandad's SIM) + $10 (Grandma's SIM) - $10 (referral credit) + $(10 - 2 - 1)/month + $(? - 2)/month, both my grandparents can have mobile plans with Public Mobile?

Seems to good to be true!? Ho ho ho Merry Christmas to all!
Very good idea!!
Why don't use your friends phone number while signing in your grandpa to get another 10$?
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2010
1236 posts
640 upvotes
spotts01 wrote:
Apr 19th, 2018 4:09 pm
PM uses your phone number to qualify you for various promos. I have heard of someone sniping someone else's PM number to grab the Koodo deal last month. Then when this person tried to get the promo for himself, it was denied because his number had already been used by the other person
Pretty sure they still need your account number though. When I used my number for the last migration plan they asked for phone # + account # but that could’ve been cause I ported the number at the same time. Might be different if you order sim online and then port any random number over
Koodo, Fido, Telus, Public Mobile, Virgin customer.
Deal Guru
Dec 12, 2009
14960 posts
4032 upvotes
Toronto
Naveedx wrote:
Apr 19th, 2018 6:09 pm
Pretty sure they still need your account number though. When I used my number for the last migration plan they asked for phone # + account # but that could’ve been cause I ported the number at the same time. Might be different if you order sim online and then port any random number over
PM's referral system is a lot less complicated than Koodo's. All you need to do is enter the phone number of an existing customer. That's it, one step, one entry. I referred a whole bunch of people during the $100 window at Koodo but 99% of the referrals did not complete step 2. Maybe they never intended to be customers but just signed on because it was free. Anyway, I only needed 3 referrals to max out a line, so not really a big loss. Koodo helped to replenish some of the blood I lost with my Public Mobile referrals going to Koodo. With this perk, I would rather be a referred than a referee.
Koodo $40/6GB plan
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo plan
Fido $0 data plan
Rogers $25 500U home internet plan
Oct 17, 2012
125 posts
88 upvotes
Newmarket
Damn if only this promotion existed yesterday before I signed up my mom for the $8 plan. RIP $10.
Aug 8, 2013
25 posts
2 upvotes
I was waiting for this promo to happen after someone who might've worked for public Mobile mentioned it 3 says ago. I finally signed up today for my grandparents on the $8 plan ($10-2$ autopay reward).
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
12202 posts
4633 upvotes
This is a really great deal. These $8 plans will be free eventually. I activated two lines without any issues aside from the slow and laggy public mobile website. I used Firefox to sign up and it worked great.
I am a Public Mobile, Zoomer, and Koodo customer.