Cell Phones

[Public Mobile] Refer-a-friend Promo $10 credit for friend, $1/month ongoing for you

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 11th, 2018 12:19 am
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
16484 posts
5066 upvotes
Toronto
ChiliPalmer wrote:
Apr 26th, 2018 2:37 pm
The only reason I activated this Public Mobile line was to get offers. Do you think they won't send Koodo offers to the $10 plan users?
In the case of Chatr Fido/Rogers - the people targeted were the ones without any data.
Anything is possible. However, full featured plans are the most likely to receive migration offers. The problem is the wait for an offer to come along, who knows whether it is a month later or a year later.
Koodo $35/5GB and $40/6GB
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo $120/12GB/90 days
Fido $0/3GB
Rogers $25 500U home internet
Tangerine Bank
Jan 27, 2007
476 posts
267 upvotes
Question on how this works. I buy the SIM for $10+, activate a plan using a referral and pay for first month, then in 72 hrs, I get the $10 credit? Does this mean I can only use this credit for my 2nd month renewal?
Oct 5, 2017
170 posts
50 upvotes
Zaptor99 wrote:
Apr 27th, 2018 12:02 pm
Question on how this works. I buy the SIM for $10+, activate a plan using a referral and pay for first month, then in 72 hrs, I get the $10 credit? Does this mean I can only use this credit for my 2nd month renewal?
Yes, you need to pay upfront during activation.
Oct 12, 2015
121 posts
76 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Zaptor99 wrote:
Apr 27th, 2018 12:02 pm
Yes, you can use this credit to pay your second month bill which is 10$ without autopay reward 2$. So if you Auto pay your credit card then your monthly plan cost will be 10$-2$=8$
You can also use this credit to buy add ons.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2005
1189 posts
354 upvotes
one week left to take advantage of this promo!
Sep 13, 2016
116 posts
102 upvotes
I signed up for this plan on monday with auto pay. Already got credit of $10 + $2 in my account.
Last edited by TomRFD on May 3rd, 2018 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: suggested referral solicitation
Mar 16, 2018
63 posts
44 upvotes
Hamilton
smd wrote:
Apr 19th, 2018 10:39 am
I thought they were trying to get rid of public mobile.
They've realized that they need a discount data provider to keep the CRTC off their back, so PM has been given a stay of execution by their Telus masters so that they can claim they offer affordable data plans.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2005
1189 posts
354 upvotes
ownthesky wrote:
May 3rd, 2018 11:16 am
They've realized that they need a discount data provider to keep the CRTC off their back, so PM has been given a stay of execution by their Telus masters so that they can claim they offer affordable data plans.
seems to be true with the new 3G promo they just rolled out today
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
16484 posts
5066 upvotes
Toronto
Gentle reminder, only 2 days left for this deal.
Koodo $35/5GB and $40/6GB
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo $120/12GB/90 days
Fido $0/3GB
Rogers $25 500U home internet
Tangerine Bank
Apr 27, 2018
9 posts
1 upvote
Just a reminder, today (May 10th) is the last day to take advantage of the referral credit, especially for those thinknig about signing up for the $10 plan.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2006
2639 posts
1709 upvotes
Muskoka
Just announced - this deal is open again and it looks like there is no expiry - they plan to keep it.

So basically, if you activate new PM account (online OR in store) AND put a referral number in during signup, the new account will get a $10 credit within 72 hours to help cover the cost of the SIM and the person who referred you will get a $1 credit per month so long as both parties remain active. Only works for referrals

Often there are better promos with bigger credits, but those usually require in store activation or only certain plans. If those conditions are not for you, then at least you have this now.
Koodo
Public Mobile
Aug 3, 2017
52 posts
20 upvotes
slimysnot wrote:
Apr 19th, 2018 10:49 am
I think they're trying to redefine the service they want to provide. The guys who jumped onto them earlier were getting full 4G service on telus network in your province + canada wide data which is basically competing against their own customers from koodo and telus.

IMO telus wants PM service to match with chatr and lucky mobile.
I switched from Public to Koodo during 6G data event. I can tell the koodo's phone service signal is worse than Public's.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
3496 posts
729 upvotes
GTA
MakBarb wrote:
Jun 8th, 2018 10:43 am
I switched from Public to Koodo during 6G data event. I can tell the koodo's phone service signal is worse than Public's.
It's the same network.
Deal Guru
Feb 13, 2012
11237 posts
2293 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Just a heads-up, porting in to Public Mobile can be a nightmare. I've done 3 port-ins so far, and 2 have been problematic, that required Mod intervention. In fact, one is still not fully functional going on to 4 days now. The Mods are helpful and courteous, but the process has been frustrating. My originating line got cancelled right away, but the # did not get ported to PM. I contacted a Mod. Then I had data connection, but no voice, then no everything, then now. there is data, but incoming calls are going straight to voicemail, but can't access voicemail, nor make outgoing calls, with a recorded message that I don't have a long distance addon!
Oct 5, 2017
170 posts
50 upvotes
Rogido wrote:
Jun 8th, 2018 11:02 am
Just a heads-up, porting in to Public Mobile can be a nightmare. I've done 3 port-ins so far, and 2 have been problematic, that required Mod intervention. In fact, one is still not fully functional going on to 4 days now. The Mods are helpful and courteous, but the process has been frustrating. My originating line got cancelled right away, but the # did not get ported to PM. I contacted a Mod. Then I had data connection, but no voice, then no everything, then now. there is data, but incoming calls are going straight to voicemail, but can't access voicemail, nor make outgoing calls, with a recorded message that I don't have a long distance addon!
I ported 2 numbers from Koodo without any problems! I put everything though including the pin