Cell Phones

[Public Mobile] Refer-a-friend Promo $10 credit for friend, $1/month ongoing for you

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 15th, 2018 1:06 am
Deal Guru
Feb 13, 2012
11001 posts
2195 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Chandlerparsons wrote:
Jun 8th, 2018 12:01 pm
I ported 2 numbers from Koodo without any problems! I put everything though including the pin
Maybe the process is less problematic because PM and Koodo are on the same network. My 3 port-ins have been from the Rogers network.
Dec 11, 2009
78 posts
16 upvotes
Richmond
The timing of this is great, since my Mom has been bugging me to set her up with a phone.

I have never used Public Mobile before. Other than buying a SIM card, is there anything else I need to do?
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2010
1236 posts
640 upvotes
Yeee I'm glad they brought this back. Its a great promo
Koodo, Fido, Telus, Public Mobile, Virgin customer.
Oct 8, 2006
334 posts
90 upvotes
Okanagan Valley
can you piggy back this referral with the free sim and $20 credit for talk and text plans available till June 30??? So effectively you would get free sim plus $30 credit?
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2006
2395 posts
1087 upvotes
Muskoka
PM also just announce (again) that for this Sat and Sun Jun 9/10 if you activate in store and get a 30 day plan, any 30 day plan, you will get a credit for that plan amount to cover your 2nd month. Walmart does not give the credit. Don’t ask. The credit will be applied later by PM
Koodo
Public Mobile
Apr 4, 2018
764 posts
171 upvotes
happy camper wrote:
Jun 8th, 2018 8:46 pm
can you piggy back this referral with the free sim and $20 credit for talk and text plans available till June 30??? So effectively you would get free sim plus $30 credit?
Don't see why not - it's a good deal.
Apr 4, 2018
764 posts
171 upvotes
I had no issues porting either. But if there are issues, then yes, you will need to look for a moderator for assistance.
Jun 28, 2017
491 posts
222 upvotes
I had no issues porting from a Rogers prepaid phone number. Give as much information as possible, phone number, account number, PIN, etc.

I have also ported from Telus postpaid and Koodo postpaid numbers, no issues. But yes Telus, Koodo and Public Mobild are all the same.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
2566 posts
614 upvotes
Whitehorse, YT
coopercold wrote:
Jun 8th, 2018 11:16 am
Awesome!

The $10 credit basically offsets the cost of your SIM card. Order your SIM card directly from Public Mobile here.

Details on this $10 credit + $1/month promo are here.

Does the data bucket leak due to operating system and apps? With data disabled?

I've been happy with Public Mobile. I've used it in three provinces without issue - the data add-on has been very handy, and is perfect for a light data user like me.
Deal Guru
Dec 12, 2009
14960 posts
4032 upvotes
Toronto
Chandlerparsons wrote:
Jun 8th, 2018 12:01 pm
I ported 2 numbers from Koodo without any problems! I put everything though including the pin
I have done a number of ports over the years involving pretty much every carrier. I would suggest using only one of the three required items instead of all. More is not necessarily better as an entry error in any one could trip things up. I always use the account number and triple check before submitting the port. I also put some notes about the port in case that if it gets stuck and a human looks at it, they can use the notes to fix the port.
Koodo $40/6GB plan
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo plan
Fido $0 data plan
Rogers $25 500U home internet plan
Deal Guru
Dec 12, 2009
14960 posts
4032 upvotes
Toronto
derekmcl wrote:
Jun 8th, 2018 7:45 pm
The timing of this is great, since my Mom has been bugging me to set her up with a phone.

I have never used Public Mobile before. Other than buying a SIM card, is there anything else I need to do?
I suggest buying the SIM and doing the activation with Walmart. This refer a friend offer stacks with the "weekend flash sales" that Public Mobile like to do through Walmart.
Koodo $40/6GB plan
Fido $0 data plan
Dec 23, 2006
396 posts
80 upvotes
Slightly off topic, does anyone have trouble porting from Petro Mobility to PM lately? I heard horror story with porting out from Petro Mobility and PM's system is glitchy when I setup my first line.
I am planning to switch my mom's line from Petro to PM, the nagging will be non-stop if ever anything glitchy happened.

TIA
Fido $40 5GB small + $15 3GB tablet data
PM $20 province wide talk
Nov 19, 2017
286 posts
138 upvotes
Vancouver
spotts01 wrote:
Jun 8th, 2018 10:07 am
Just announced - this deal is open again and it looks like there is no expiry - they plan to keep it.

So basically, if you activate new PM account (online OR in store) AND put a referral number in during signup, the new account will get a $10 credit within 72 hours to help cover the cost of the SIM and the person who referred you will get a $1 credit per month so long as both parties remain active. Only works for referrals

Often there are better promos with bigger credits, but those usually require in store activation or only certain plans. If those conditions are not for you, then at least you have this now.
This is great. I like PM. It seems they research day and night to give away something to customers. Quite different from my experience with Fido - the only carrier used for 14 years.

These are what I liked so far:

1. They have $10 50/50 ($8 with auto-pay reward).
2. They have LTE data add-on.
3. They offer good Koodo migration plans.
4. They have loyalty reward - $1 discount per year.
5. They have a good referral reward - this thread.
Deal Guru
Dec 12, 2009
14960 posts
4032 upvotes
Toronto
texedomel wrote:
Jun 9th, 2018 2:39 am
Slightly off topic, does anyone have trouble porting from Petro Mobility to PM lately? I heard horror story with porting out from Petro Mobility and PM's system is glitchy when I setup my first line.
I am planning to switch my mom's line from Petro to PM, the nagging will be non-stop if ever anything glitchy happened.

TIA
Porting from prepaid sometimes adds to the excitement. One strategy is to get an account with a temporary number, contact the moderator team and ask them to do the port. If it fails,v they can correct it whereas customers can't.
Koodo $40/6GB plan
Fido $0 data plan