128 posts
35 upvotes
Markham, Canada

PublicMobile $50 for 30 Days 4GB Data + 2GB extra

Seems good plan.

$50/30 days:
Province-wide talk,
text and
6GB of data (4GB + 2GB of bonus data) on 3G*.

what you guys think.Your text to link here...
Images
  • Screen Shot 2017-07-17 at 8.57.05 AM.png
102 replies
Feb 23, 2008
142 posts
143 upvotes
not good with 3G speed @ $52...
Mar 23, 2008
221 posts
328 upvotes
Toronto
not a promo plan, just another plan (they recently made changes to offer More data but at a limited speed).

Not a hot deal at all, should be in phone thread
Apr 6, 2017
14 posts
24 upvotes
wtf i don't hate public mobile any more
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
10819 posts
1601 upvotes
Toronto
This has been reposted several times already. It's not a hot deal. Unfortunately Public Mobile has ruined all its great value plans (I'm a PM subscriber with a much better grandfathered plan).
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
17332 posts
3684 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
Their forums are quite alive about this. Very strange what they did immediately after the $38 4GB LTE plan for freedom. I got myself and my wife on that... hopefully they don't force plan changes on us any time soon.

Maybe they're just going to dissolve public and we'll all get quietly pushed over to koodo. This move seems like a ritual sacrifice of public mobile to me.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2008
2025 posts
621 upvotes
North York
public mobile is intentionally suiciding because they're realizing they made a huge mistake ever offering reasonable plans when they didn't have to in this robellus monopoly/collusion situation.

it was intended to be a little CRTC goodwill (faux competition and 'budget'-for-canada-prices), a little self-serve no frills brand experiment, but with how outrageous the prices for telecom are in canada, people flocked to it despite all its issues, and they cannabilized their own telus user base and that of their tower sharing partner, bell (details of how bell and telus compensate eachother are secret). they probably lost a lot of money together and really angered bell. they can't close it down cause CRTC wouldn't like that and it would play badly for them to do it so fast when people still have hope that they're alright, so they'll just mismanage it to at least prevent new signups, possibly with the end goal of closing it down entirely.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2006
6652 posts
2049 upvotes
Markham
BinaryJay wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 9:30 am
Their forums are quite alive about this. Very strange what they did immediately after the $38 4GB LTE plan for freedom. I got myself and my wife on that... hopefully they don't force plan changes on us any time soon.

Maybe they're just going to dissolve public and we'll all get quietly pushed over to koodo. This move seems like a ritual sacrifice of public mobile to me.
quazy wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 9:36 am
public mobile is intentionally suiciding because they're realizing they made a huge mistake ever offering reasonable plans when they didn't have to in this robellus monopoly/collusion situation.

it was intended to be a little CRTC goodwill (faux competition and 'budget'-for-canada-prices), a little self-serve no frills brand experiment, but with how outrageous the prices for telecom are in canada, people flocked to it despite all its issues, and they cannabilized their own telus user base and that of their tower sharing partner, bell (details of how bell and telus compensate eachother are secret). they probably lost a lot of money together and really angered bell. they can't close it down cause CRTC wouldn't like that and it would play badly for them to do it so fast when people still have hope that they're alright, so they'll just mismanage it to at least prevent new signups, possibly with the end goal of closing it down entirely.
Well if the conspiracy theory is true, then that'd explain why I have so many problems with my number ported in from Koodo haha. Past 2 cycles I would lose service right after I reload, somehow they gave my number to another new line and it keeps colliding.
The myth on the Internet is that Canadians are nice people. Those people who say this just haven't been on RFD.
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
12420 posts
4020 upvotes
Oakville
Scorpiate wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 9:10 am
not a promo plan, just another plan (they recently made changes to offer More data but at a limited speed).

Not a hot deal at all, should be in phone thread
The 2GB of bonus data is a promo.

I love the conspiracy theorists claiming that this is a deliberate attempt to sabotage the company and force them to shut down, as opposed to just a terrible marketing decision. I mean, I'm cynical AF, but even I can't buy into that nonsense. Maybe if PM had paired this announcement with another announcement that all grandfathered plans will also be pushed to the new shitty plans, THEN I'd consider the possibility that Telus was deliberately trying to shut down the company. But why would Telus start selling PM sims at WoW mobile kiosks if they secretly want to shut the company down? It makes no sense. This is quite clearly just the company deciding (either directly, or under direction from Telus) that they want to start offering tiered plans, maybe it's Telus experimenting with the idea for their flagship brands, or Koodo, as a way to further differentiate services from the competition (having to deal with my own marketing department, I can tell you that "differentiated services" is a huge buzzword flying around right now).

At any rate? The new plans suck. Definitely not going to be earning any referral bonuses any time soon with these horrific piles of shit. BUT, as long as PM doesn't try to take away my grandfathered 4GB plan, they can do whatever the hell they want. No skin off my back, since I don't work there. :)
Public Mobile
Sep 7, 2014
150 posts
119 upvotes
Gud Ol' Ontariuh Boy
quazy wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 9:36 am
Tastes a little tin foil-y on the palette, but is it bad that I hope you're right for some weird reason?
...need more excitement in my life apparently.

On Topic: I still have my Super 6GB from Koodo for $54, and am always looking out for a better deal (without the hoops of the QC/SK/MB plans) since I do use about 5+ GBs of data a month...but for my SO, does anyone know if that $38/m Public Mobile deal ever come back? Does it pop up now and then or was it a one time thing?
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
12420 posts
4020 upvotes
Oakville
ChippewaBarr wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 10:45 am
On Topic: I still have my Super 6GB from Koodo for $54, and am always looking out for a better deal (without the hoops of the QC/SK/MB plans) since I do use about 5+ GBs of data a month...but for my SO, does anyone know if that $38/m Public Mobile deal ever come back? Does it pop up now and then or was it a one time thing?
It came back a few weeks ago - only available for people porting in a number from Freedom, but many folks just signed up for a temporary Freedom number and ported that over to get the deal, then ported their regular number in once the plan was properly set up. I did it for my mom to move her over from Rogers, in fact.

BUT, with these new plans being announced, I think the odds of it ever coming back again now are effectively 0%. At best, I think it'll end up being 4GB for the current price of the 2GB LTE plan, which is $60/month.
Public Mobile
Aug 24, 2006
188 posts
72 upvotes
Toronto
It has nothing to do with them closing Public Mobile; they're making a killing! Especially with people paying ahead for 3 months and 0 default rates (and thus 0 risk) since it's all prepaid.
Part of that conspiracy theory is that people think mobile service should actually cost as much as it does in Canada. LOL to that! Just look at SaskTel and MTS, which operate in mostly rural environments (which are the main argument for the high costs of telecom in Canada), yet offer some of the lowest prices in the country!

The answer here is behavioural economics. Look into "scarcity bias" and "loss aversion" and you'll realise why they're doing this: https://www.tutor2u.net/economics/refer ... rcity-bias
I worked on me: I "missed out" on their fall offering and jumped on the Freedom port like it was hot bread. Sprinkle some garbage plans in between the gems to reinforce that sentiment - this is what this here is.