Cell Phones

PublicMobile $50 for 30 Days 4GB Data + 2GB extra

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 19th, 2017 6:52 pm
Mar 14, 2017
29 posts
17 upvotes
Victoria, BC
It's not even 3G. It's capped at 2.5 Mpbs. Slower than competitor's 3G.
ValiantSpacemanSpiff
Interplanetary Explorer Extraordinaire
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
11955 posts
3696 upvotes
Oakville
ValiantSpacemanSpiff wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 11:47 am
It's not even 3G. It's capped at 2.5 Mpbs. Slower than competitor's 3G.
Just because it's slower than competitor's 3G (and hell, slower than their OWN 3G if you're on an LTE plan), doesn't mean it's not 3G. You only need to offer speeds of 200 kbit/s to be able to technically call it "3G" :)
Last edited by wearysky on Jul 17th, 2017 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Public Mobile
Koodo
Mar 14, 2017
29 posts
17 upvotes
Victoria, BC
wearysky wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 11:59 am
Just because it's slower than competitor's 3G (and hell, slower than their OWN 3G if you're on an LTE plan), doesn't mean it's not 3G.
Sure. They're capping the speed at 2.5 Mbps. So while it may be 3G in that it's working on a 3G network, it's actually throttled/capped 3G.
ValiantSpacemanSpiff
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
11955 posts
3696 upvotes
Oakville
Jul 17th, 2017 12:10 pm
Sure. They're capping the speed at 2.5 Mbps. So while it may be 3G in that it's working on a 3G network, it's actually throttled/capped 3G.
Sure, but they're still technically providing 3G speeds (anything faster than 0.2 Mbps is 3G), and they say precisely what the speed cap is, so while the plans suck, there's nothing shady about them :)

And technically it's not even *really* 3G, it's an LTE connection capped at 2.5 Mbps.
Public Mobile
Koodo
Mar 14, 2017
29 posts
17 upvotes
Victoria, BC
wearysky wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 12:15 pm
Sure, but they're still technically providing 3G speeds (anything faster than 0.2 Mbps is 3G), and they say precisely what the speed cap is, so while the plans suck, there's nothing shady about them :)

And technically it's not even *really* 3G, it's an LTE connection capped at 2.5 Mbps.
I never said it was shady. We agree the plans are terrible. Public Mobile is obviously not trying to attract new customers.
ValiantSpacemanSpiff
Nov 14, 2003
915 posts
14 upvotes
WTF is up with 3G speed??

Public Mobile used to be cool, not anymore!
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2013
3146 posts
467 upvotes
Brampton ON
shoaibahmed wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 8:57 am
Seems good plan.

$50/30 days:
Province-wide talk,
text and
6GB of data (4GB + 2GB of bonus data) on 3G*.

what you guys think.Your text to link here...
Thanks OP buy for now I will pass and keep my existing plan.
VirginMobile $55 8gb myline
VirginMobile $77 6gb mywife
Freedom Mobile $21 4gb LTE mydaughter
Do A Math Before Signing Contract or Buying Phone Outright (this will vary on your plan price & usage)

Sep 9, 2015
237 posts
102 upvotes
Nanaimo
In the US don't companies offer 3G speeds for their "unlimited" plans? Like the first couple gigs are LTE and then the rest are throttled to 3G? I wouldn't mind it if they did that in Canada where we get 2GB fast and then the rest is "unlimited" but at a lower speed. In the end it gives us a reasonably priced plan which is a win.
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
11955 posts
3696 upvotes
Oakville
Jul 17th, 2017 12:24 pm
I never said it was shady. We agree the plans are terrible. Public Mobile is obviously not trying to attract new customers.
Sorry, I thought that was implied by your "it's not even 3G" statement.

I think they *are* trying to attract new customers, legitimately, but I personally think it's a terrible way to do it. Offering more data, albeit slower data, seems like a terrible idea to me. BUT, I'm not in marketing, so maybe it'll work out for them. Customers *are* stupid, a lot of the time, and may think "Hey, sweet, 2GB of data for $42 a month is a great deal for Ontario! Where do I sign up?" without bothering to think about the fact that it's 3G data. Hell, for people like my mom (who was paying $65 a month for 250mb of data), it *would* be a great deal, if I hadn't already signed her up for the 4GB/$40 plan during the Freedom promo. She doesn't need fast data, really, she would get by just fine with 2.5Mbps. But for those of us who knew about the 4GB/$40 plans, or hell even the 2GB/$40 LTE plan that existed prior to the change, the new plans do indeed seem ridiculous. So they're definitely going to lose out on a bunch of referrals, but in the end this may still end up being a net positive for them.
Public Mobile
Koodo
Deal Addict
Jun 19, 2010
1048 posts
402 upvotes
Calgary
wearysky wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 12:43 pm
I'm not in marketing, so maybe it'll work out for them.
I am in marketing, have 20+ years under my belt (some in wireless telecom with Verizon & T-Mobile) and a parchment on the wall. This is a pretty dumb way of doing things to attract millennials or even an average user. This plan would go nowhere in the US where unlimited LTE flows like water. However, AOL still has a few million dial-up customers, so maybe there is a market -- albeit a very limited one -- for this.
In your pants!

Tired of companies chasing you all over the web after you view a product? Install Ghostery and AdBlock browser add-ons.
Deal Addict
Jun 19, 2010
1048 posts
402 upvotes
Calgary
S0lidus wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 12:41 pm
In the US don't companies offer 3G speeds for their "unlimited" plans? Like the first couple gigs are LTE and then the rest are throttled to 3G?
No. The trend is towards at least 10GB of LTE then throttled to 3G IF there are congestion issues. I often used much more than my allotted LTE and was never throttled on T-Mobile. Last year, TMo was actually fined $48 million for throttling customers on "unlimited" plans (mainly due to their not-quite-true marketing and that affected only users that averaged 17GB or more monthly). In Canada, the CRTC would never do such a thing beyond a hand slap.
Last edited by FatWallet on Jul 17th, 2017 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In your pants!

Tired of companies chasing you all over the web after you view a product? Install Ghostery and AdBlock browser add-ons.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2015
1206 posts
459 upvotes
Newmarket, ON
S0lidus wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 12:41 pm
In the US don't companies offer 3G speeds for their "unlimited" plans? Like the first couple gigs are LTE and then the rest are throttled to 3G? I wouldn't mind it if they did that in Canada where we get 2GB fast and then the rest is "unlimited" but at a lower speed. In the end it gives us a reasonably priced plan which is a win.
Yeah the entire rest of the world does that, except for Canada. Unfortunately we tend to be far behind when it comes to innovation. Maybe we'll see that in about 10 years.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2006
6520 posts
1976 upvotes
Markham
BeapChastard wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 1:00 pm
Yeah the entire rest of the world does that, except for Canada. Unfortunately we tend to be far behind when it comes to innovation. Maybe we'll see that in about 10 years.
Wind used to have that, no? Then everyone kept calling it fake unlimited and they went back to traditional buckets.
The myth on the Internet is that Canadians are nice people. Those people who say this just haven't been on RFD.
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
11955 posts
3696 upvotes
Oakville
FatWallet wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 12:52 pm
I am in marketing, have 20+ years under my belt (some in wireless telecom with Verizon & T-Mobile) and a parchment on the wall. This is a pretty dumb way of doing things to attract millennials or even an average user. This plan would go nowhere in the US where unlimited LTE flows like water. However, AOL still has a few million dial-up customers, so maybe there is a market -- albeit a very limited one -- for this.
But again, you can't really compare what will work here to what is currently being offered in the US. While I think these plans are awful, when you compare them to existing plans in Ontario from other providers they're still not totally horrible. And consumers are often stupid, so I could easily see people seeing the 6GB 3G data plan for $50 and thinking "Wow, that's really cheap! I'm in!" without bothering to read the fine print mentioning that the 3G speed on that plan is capped at 2.5Mbps. I'd argue that the average user has no idea what kind of speeds they're currently getting on their LTE connections any way, and wouldn't even know if 2.5Mbps is actually good enough for them or not (for most people, it probably is).
ToniCipriani wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 1:05 pm
Wind used to have that, no? Then everyone kept calling it fake unlimited and they went back to traditional buckets.
Wind still has it, though they don't really advertise it very much.
Public Mobile
Koodo
Deal Guru
Oct 30, 2006
13038 posts
1706 upvotes
Maybe their plan is to ultimately offer unlimited data. It's 3G, but totally unlimited!
TripleQ wrote:I read Click magazine for the articles!