• Jul 25th, 2017 3:19 am
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2012
1768 posts
581 upvotes
Mississauga
ToniCipriani wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 1:05 pm
Wind used to have that, no? Then everyone kept calling it fake unlimited and they went back to traditional buckets.
They used to do that except it wasn't LTE. It was "3G" till 5GB and then slower than dial up speeds 2G.
I love RFD! :)

Model 3 reservation holder
Jun 28, 2017
222 posts
60 upvotes
Horrible deal - OP should change the title to include "limited to 2.5 Mbps" aka molasses.
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
17331 posts
3684 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
I just saw that they are/have made their sims available at walmart now, but have doubled the price of their sim cards from $5 to $10 no matter how you get it (another bullet dodged on the freedom porting promo).

It's strange, spreading availability of SIMs does not say "planning on ending public mobile" HOWEVER, a move like getting the sim cards into all of walmarts retail chain would have been a move that would have been many moons in the making and not something that would have recently been hashed out. They would have had to design new packaging, new production, and gone through I imagine a very large amount of red tape with walmart before distribution could even begin.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2002
6307 posts
297 upvotes
Toronto
Looks to me like they are going after the less informed consumer, paying more for marketing, more GP per customer. If/when that fails maybe they'll wind PM down and try again.
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2004
3751 posts
338 upvotes
Scarborough
Hate this company. Their team mentioned in a post that if you want guaranteed service go with Rogers, Bell (big players)... If you're okay a day or two without service go with Koodoo, Chatr (discount brands), and if you're ok with community-based help go with Public Mobile. They left me without service for 4 days and did not answer any posts, or emails. Not only that, but they were blocking me from moving to a different carrier. Terrible. Now how am i supposed to be without service for 4 days, when half the cloud based services force me into 2-step authentication. Could not access any of my emails... Terrible terrible service. Pay a bit extra and don't bother with these clowns.
Heatware: Link
HowardForums: Link
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
12420 posts
4020 upvotes
Oakville
Traian2003 wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 4:31 pm
Their team mentioned in a post that if you want guaranteed service go with Rogers, Bell (big players)... If you're okay a day or two without service go with Koodoo, Chatr (discount brands), and if you're ok with community-based help go with Public Mobile.
I *highly* doubt it was somebody from their team that said that. At most I would guess it was one of the Oracles (a handful of non-employees who spend the most time helping folks out on the forums, and have a more direct line of communication with PM's employees than regular forum users do). Even then, it would be unlikely to have been one of them, as they all know that unless it's during an insane promo time (like it was during the Freedom promo), it's highly unlikely to go without service for more than a day even with PM. I'd wager it was one of the new class of "helpers" on the PM forums who are prolific posters, but half of their posts are completely incorrect information. Though they *do* have some new mods in place, and lord only knows who they have running the email-support team (it doesn't appear to be the mods), so I could believe it was one of them that gave you that completely incorrect information as well.

Yes, I would still recommend against using PM for a business line (why would you ever use a company that doesn't have 24/7 support, for a business-critical phone line?), but for a personal line that you can afford to be without for a day or two, PM is perfectly fine so long as you're not signing up during an insane promo period (which seems unlikely to happen any time soon, now that the new plans are in place).
Public Mobile
Deal Addict
May 6, 2012
2914 posts
619 upvotes
Traian2003 wrote:
Hate this company. Their team mentioned in a post that if you want guaranteed service go with Rogers, Bell (big players)... If you're okay a day or two without service go with Koodoo, Chatr (discount brands), and if you're ok with community-based help go with Public Mobile. They left me without service for 4 days and did not answer any posts, or emails. Not only that, but they were blocking me from moving to a different carrier. Terrible. Now how am i supposed to be without service for 4 days, when half the cloud based services force me into 2-step authentication. Could not access any of my emails... Terrible terrible service. Pay a bit extra and don't bother with these clowns.
If connectivity is essential then no you shouldn't go with them. They plainly state the customer service is very minimal to reduce cost.

PM is for occasional or just poor users. It's better than having no option except stupid 60 dollar plans from Bell.

I mean the whole system is rigged of course and we deserve much better from every company but yeah.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
1226 posts
168 upvotes
Scarborough
Traian2003 wrote:
Did you try tweeting/DM or facebook messaging them? They normally reply pretty quickly
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2009
1092 posts
276 upvotes
Richmond Hill
BinaryJay wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 4:01 pm
I just saw that they are/have made their sims available at walmart now, but have doubled the price of their sim cards from $5 to $10 no matter how you get it (another bullet dodged on the freedom porting promo).

It's strange, spreading availability of SIMs does not say "planning on ending public mobile" HOWEVER, a move like getting the sim cards into all of walmarts retail chain would have been a move that would have been many moons in the making and not something that would have recently been hashed out. They would have had to design new packaging, new production, and gone through I imagine a very large amount of red tape with walmart before distribution could even begin.
Agreed, strange move if they want to shut PM down. I think they just want a steady stream of customers, mostly ones that don't care about LTE etc.. People that don't use phone too much (funny because this is usually elder people who would need customer service). I really don't know PM's mind set, but everyone who got the $38 4gb is pretty lucky. I say Telus has decided to stop everyone from leaving them and Bell for PM so they raised prices. Now their main service is slow 3g which is a different group of people who would want that entirely.
Feb 13, 2015
101 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto
Traian2003 wrote:
I have to agree with you. Last year I moved myself and six other family members to PM. This year we will be moving back to Rogers at sometime.
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2006
1255 posts
301 upvotes
VanceMendoza wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 4:50 pm
If connectivity is essential then no you shouldn't go with them. They plainly state the customer service is very minimal to reduce cost.

PM is for occasional or just poor users. It's better than having no option except stupid 60 dollar plans from Bell.

I mean the whole system is rigged of course and we deserve much better from every company but yeah.
To be clear, even if you've never used customer service with Rogers or Koodo, PM will screw something up that will REQUIRE contacting some community support. I went to PM with the expectation that they've made MORE things available through the online account than other providers, which was a great thought when I never had to actually speak to a Koodo rep, ever. I thought that an online-only provider would allow things like call forward settings, so if your phone breaks, you don't need to *6x or whatever to manually forward it.

Boy, was I wrong. Gave up a $50 SK plan for it (I was only ever using 1+ GB/mo, so I thought I was saving $10/mo). I only have regret going with PM. I'll go back to Koodo next time a plan promotion is attractive enough.
Dec 5, 2016
25 posts
9 upvotes
To those saying this is a horrible deal, what other affordable 5GB+ options exist that use a decent network that you can get regularly in ontario without any province-jumping shenanigans? 2.5 Mbps seems good enough for my SO who doesn't care about high-bandwidth applications such as streaming video. I plan on getting her on this until a better deal comes around (I told her to switch for the $38 4GB deal, but sadly she wasn't motivated enough to do so back then).
Deal Fanatic
Aug 12, 2006
5933 posts
1667 upvotes
I'm not sure how "cannibalized" Telus/Koodo were. Anyone I've talked to that I tell I'm on Public Mobile have never even heard of it before.

I suspect their subscriber base is significantly smaller than the bargain hunters on here believe.
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
17331 posts
3684 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
Traian2003 wrote:
Now how am i supposed to be without service for 4 days, when half the cloud based services force me into 2-step authentication. Could not access any of my emails...
No two step authentication system requires any sort of phone service whatsoever. Even without service, your phone still turns on and can generate authentication keys just fine. I'm not arguing with you about the rest of your post but just letting you know there is no reason to get upset and not access any two step authentication due to lacking phone service I just don't understand how you came to that conclusion.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2005
2556 posts
628 upvotes
TouchMyBox wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 6:40 pm
To those saying this is a horrible deal, what other affordable 5GB+ options exist that use a decent network that you can get regularly in ontario without any province-jumping shenanigans? 2.5 Mbps seems good enough for my SO who doesn't care about high-bandwidth applications such as streaming video. I plan on getting her on this until a better deal comes around (I told her to switch for the $38 4GB deal, but sadly she wasn't motivated enough to do so back then).
Chatr is $50 6gb for 3mbps instead of 2.5mbps and it also doesn't get cut after 6gb. It is slowed to 64kbps

Only downside is the zones.