Cell Phones

Public Mobile Rate Plan Changes (not for the better)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 25th, 2017 8:16 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2013
3760 posts
1221 upvotes
BC

Public Mobile Rate Plan Changes (not for the better)

PM has "revamped" their plans and they are much costlier now. Anyone thinking of switching would be better off with Zoomer/Freedom/Fido.

The old $120/90 days plan with 6 GB of LTE data (2GB/month), unlimited global text, unlimited provincial calling is now $180/90 days for new customers.

PM has also introduced 3G plans for the roughly the same price as the old equivalent LTE plans:
*3G plans are throttled to 2.5 Mbps

3G Rate Plans:
  • Unlimited province-wide talk, global text and 3 GB of 3G data is $126/90 days [$42/month] (+ 3 GB bonus until July 27).
  • Unlimited Canada-wide talk, global text and 3 GB of 3G data is $141/90 days [$47/month] (+ 3 GB bonus until July 27).
  • ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Unlimited province-wide talk, global text and 6 GB of 3G data is $141/90 days [$47/month] (+ 3 GB bonus until July 27).
  • Unlimited Canada-wide talk, global text and 6 GB of 3G data is $156/90 days [$52/month] (+ 6 GB bonus until July 27).
  • --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Unlimited province-wide talk, global text and 12 GB of 3G data is $156/90 days [$52/month] (+ 6 GB bonus until July 27).
  • Unlimited Canada-wide talk, global text and 12 GB of 3G data is $171/90 days [$57/month] (+ 6 GB bonus until July 27).

LTE Rate Plans:
  • Unlimited province-wide talk, global text and 3 GB of LTE data is $150/90 days [$50/month].
  • Unlimited Canada-wide talk, global text and 3 GB off 3G data is $165/90 days [$55/month].
  • -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Unlimited province-wide talk, global text and 6 GB of LTE data is $180/90 days [$60/month].
  • Unlimited Canada-wide talk, global text and 6 GB of LTE data is $195/90 days [$65/month].
  • -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Unlimited province-wide talk, global text and 12 GB of LTE data is $225/90 days [$75/month].
  • Unlimited Canada-wide talk, global text and 12 GB of LTE data is $240/90 days [$80/month].
Last edited by dealseaker101 on Jul 14th, 2017 12:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
A wise RFD'er once said, "Buy now, think later."

¯\_(-.-)_/¯
52 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2013
3760 posts
1221 upvotes
BC
For $65/month (regular price, not a promo), Fido is offering:
3 GB of LTE data, free spotify, 5 hours of unlimited data, unlimited Canada-wide calling, name/call display, unlimited global video messaging, Fido extended roaming coverage, and voicemail + retail locations + customer service by phone/social media/live chat.

For $65/month, PM is offering:
2 GB of LTE data, unlimited Canada-wide talk, global text, voicemail, caller display. + customer service by forum only

¯\_(-.-)_/¯
Jul 11, 2017
7 posts
4 upvotes
Public Mobile user here, and agree, changes should definitely have people looking elsewhere. NOT WORTH IT ANYMORE!!!

I'm "locked in" at a certain price for now, but all I can say is that if it changes, I'm gone, along with my entire family who just switched before the increase.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2013
3161 posts
470 upvotes
Brampton ON
dealseaker101 wrote:
Jul 14th, 2017 12:48 am
PM has "revamped" their plans and they are much costlier now. Anyone thinking of switching would be better off with Zoomer/Freedom/Fido.

The old $120/90 days plan with 6 GB of LTE data (2GB/month), unlimited global text, unlimited provincial calling is now $180/90 days for new customers.

PM has also introduced 3G plans for the roughly the same price as the old equivalent LTE plans:
*3G plans are throttled to 2.5 Mbps

3G Rate Plans:
  • Unlimited province-wide talk, global text and 3 GB of 3G data is $126/90 days [$42/month] (+ 3 GB bonus until July 27).
  • Unlimited Canada-wide talk, global text and 3 GB of 3G data is $141/90 days [$47/month] (+ 3 GB bonus until July 27).
  • ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Unlimited province-wide talk, global text and 6 GB of 3G data is $141/90 days [$47/month] (+ 3 GB bonus until July 27).
  • Unlimited Canada-wide talk, global text and 6 GB of 3G data is $156/90 days [$52/month] (+ 6 GB bonus until July 27).
  • --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Unlimited province-wide talk, global text and 12 GB of 3G data is $156/90 days [$52/month] (+ 6 GB bonus until July 27).
  • Unlimited Canada-wide talk, global text and 12 GB of 3G data is $171/90 days [$57/month] (+ 6 GB bonus until July 27).

LTE Rate Plans:
  • Unlimited province-wide talk, global text and 3 GB of LTE data is $150/90 days [$50/month].
  • Unlimited Canada-wide talk, global text and 3 GB off 3G data is $165/90 days [$55/month].
  • Unlimited province-wide talk, global text and 6 GB of LTE data is $180/90 days [$60/month].
  • Unlimited Canada-wide talk, global text and 6 GB of LTE data is $195/90 days [$65/month].
  • Unlimited province-wide talk, global text and 12 GB of LTE data is $225/90 days [$75/month].
  • Unlimited Canada-wide talk, global text and 12 GB of LTE data is $240/90 days [$80/month].
Wait for another deal to come...
VirginMobile $55 8gb myline
VirginMobile $77 6gb mywife
Freedom Mobile $21 4gb LTE mydaughter
Do A Math Before Signing Contract or Buying Phone Outright (this will vary on your plan price & usage)

Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
11995 posts
3731 upvotes
Oakville
Maybe they're trying to scare people away from using their broken activation portal. Lol.
Public Mobile
Koodo
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
3928 posts
188 upvotes
Wow this is horrendous, I was waiting for another deal similar to the 12GB/90 days that a bunch of us jumped on a while back but with these new plans that definitely ain't happening
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
13748 posts
2173 upvotes
Toronto
johnb56789 wrote:
Jul 14th, 2017 6:42 am
Public Mobile user here, and agree, changes should definitely have people looking elsewhere. NOT WORTH IT ANYMORE!!!

I'm "locked in" at a certain price for now, but all I can say is that if it changes, I'm gone, along with my entire family who just switched before the increase.
I left shortly after I joined Public Mobile, because of the website and customer service issues. Luckily I found the 6 GB for $60 Fido plan, which I pay $54 for, because it's a second line so I get a 10% discount. I moved my wife to the Fido 5 GB for $50 plan. My 6 GB for $60 (or $54) plan is Unlimited Canada wide calling, 1000 long distance minutes each month to some overseas locations (not US), unlimited international text and MMS, and 6 GB data. The wife's 5 GB for $50 plan is similar but doesn't get the free long distance minutes.

Unfortunately, we have to jump on one day or one week deals in order to get good plans in Canada now. In fact, I was talking to the Bell tech that installed my Gigabit Fibe and he said his corporate plans aren't even that great, even though he works for them as a tech. He said had he known about the Fido 6 GB for $60 plan, he would be on Fido right now.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2003
9983 posts
352 upvotes
What a joke... I guess my PM SIM card remains where it is and I won't transfer. Eastlink has a much better deal here for me because their 1GB plan currently has +2GB Free for new activations. Its nowhere near as good as in Ontario as you get 300 minutes and 3GB with unlimited text for 45$ but for the Maritimes that's pretty hot considering the same on Bell is 65 and its 75$ on Telus.
KitKat item collector- always looking for swag or branded items.
May 8, 2009
595 posts
152 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
EugW wrote:
Jul 14th, 2017 12:57 pm
I left shortly after I joined Public Mobile, because of the website and customer service issues. Luckily I found the 6 GB for $60 Fido plan, which I pay $54 for, because it's a second line so I get a 10% discount. I moved my wife to the Fido 5 GB for $50 plan. My 6 GB for $60 (or $54) plan is Unlimited Canada wide calling, 1000 long distance minutes each month to some overseas locations (not US), unlimited international text and MMS, and 6 GB data. The wife's 5 GB for $50 plan is similar but doesn't get the free long distance minutes.

Unfortunately, we have to jump on one day or one week deals in order to get good plans in Canada now. In fact, I was talking to the Bell tech that installed my Gigabit Fibe and he said his corporate plans aren't even that great, even though he works for them as a tech. He said had he known about the Fido 6 GB for $60 plan, he would be on Fido right now.
I'm not surprised. Some people who qualify for EPP with Rogers/Bell/TELUS still often get better deals off the subsidiairies...
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
13748 posts
2173 upvotes
Toronto
I don't know if it's the same on Koodo/Telus, but usable bandwidth availability is worse on Fido/Rogers on 3G than LTE. So in congested areas, LTE would be usable and 3G would be horrible.

It seems Rogers is spending all their efforts to ensure that LTE support is decent, and 3G support is suffering. I personally don't care so much since I'm all LTE and have been for years... partially for this reason.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2016
1123 posts
261 upvotes
whoa, 50% increase? Maybe they are trying to kill of PM to get people over to Koodo instead?
Mar 10, 2006
154 posts
43 upvotes
Switched to PM from Freedom last month during the promo. Will I still pay $120/90 days after my first 90 days are up ?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2013
3760 posts
1221 upvotes
BC
RebelBC wrote:
Jul 14th, 2017 3:42 pm
Switched to PM from Freedom last month during the promo. Will I still pay $120/90 days after my first 90 days are up ?
Yes, unless notified otherwise.

¯\_(-.-)_/¯
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2013
3760 posts
1221 upvotes
BC
notfromqc wrote:
Jul 14th, 2017 3:24 pm
whoa, 50% increase? Maybe they are trying to kill of PM to get people over to Koodo instead?
Probably.

¯\_(-.-)_/¯
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
11995 posts
3731 upvotes
Oakville
It's funny, cuz I was just recommending PM for somebody on the 2gb plan but now it's worse than Koodo pricing.
Public Mobile
Koodo