Cell Phones

Public Mobile Rate Plan Changes (not for the better)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 25th, 2017 8:16 am
Deal Guru
Dec 12, 2009
13105 posts
2962 upvotes
Toronto
Ferris Bueller wrote:
Jul 16th, 2017 8:35 am
I have a suspended plan ($120 for 12GB/unlimited talk for 90 days) but within the 90 days before expiration - but the plan shows "Expired" and I can't renew. Thanks Telus, you sure told us.
The sad state of all business in Canada (telecom cartels included) is the Telus/Koodo abusive attitude is actually the best of mobile offerings in the country.
You sure can renew, just pay up and the account will come out of suspension. If you don't know how, message their moderator team for help.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7463 posts
2414 upvotes
ON
I believe expired was the normal status for that plan, because it's no longer available for general sign up. Not that they've cancelled it on you.
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
12445 posts
4032 upvotes
Oakville
arhyno wrote:
Jul 15th, 2017 1:07 pm
I wonder if they will actually throttle 3G speeds to a max of 2.5mbps. I turned off lte while on publicmobile and my speeds averaged 5mbps hotting 7 Mbps in the start. Which isn't that bad really.
They've already stated that they are. People on LTE plans get full speed 3G, but people on 3G-only plans are capped at 2.5Mbps.
jeff1970 wrote:
Jul 15th, 2017 9:58 pm
I just tried Speedtest without LTE and actually got 17.5Mbps. PM is saying 'up to' 2.5Mbps, so for sure, they're throttling.

17Mpbs on 3G I'd jump for that deal because you can get 6GB a month rather than 4GB...however, 2.5Mbps is useless, especially with the "up to".
They always have to say "up to" because speeds can never be guaranteed. But I think it's a fairly safe assumption that most of the time you'll be able to get that 2.5Mbps because it's well below normal 3G speeds on the Bell/Telus network.
Ferris Bueller wrote:
Jul 16th, 2017 8:35 am
I have a suspended plan ($120 for 12GB/unlimited talk for 90 days) but within the 90 days before expiration - but the plan shows "Expired" and I can't renew. Thanks Telus, you sure told us.
The sad state of all business in Canada (telecom cartels included) is the Telus/Koodo abusive attitude is actually the best of mobile offerings in the country.
"Expired" just means that it's no longer available to the public. If you're not able to re-enable it, it's more likely just another issue with their incredibly broken self service portal.
Public Mobile
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
1805 posts
407 upvotes
Toronto
Glad I stayed with Freedom.
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
12445 posts
4032 upvotes
Oakville
raichu1 wrote:
Jul 20th, 2017 7:15 pm
Glad I stayed with Freedom.
Why? There's no change to the rates that folks are paying that got in on the $40/4GB promo.

And a side note: one of the oracles mentioned over in the PM announcement thread that the 2.5 Mbps speed cap is *only for LTE connections*. If you disable LTE you can apparently get full 3G speeds. I'm waiting on confirmation to see if that's actually true though. If it is, suddenly PM isn't looking *as* bad as before.

Edit: yup, confirmed by one of the folks testing out the "3G" plans with speedtests:
https://productioncommunity.publicmobil ... rue#M10639
Last edited by wearysky on Jul 21st, 2017 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Public Mobile
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
14115 posts
2350 upvotes
Toronto
"Full 3G speeds": Isn't that an oxymoron? ;) Seriously though, the bigger issue with 3G isn't not so much the speed as the latency, and the fact it just doesn't seem as reliable overall these days.

When one tethers on 3G it usually feels quite slow, and it has been that way for years and it doesn't seem to be getting better. When one tethers on LTE, it feels acceptable. This is a combination of the speed, the latency, and in fact just the overall availability of the network. LTE wins in all three respects, at least in urban areas.
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
12445 posts
4032 upvotes
Oakville
EugW wrote:
Jul 21st, 2017 11:27 am
"Full 3G speeds": Isn't that an oxymoron? ;) Seriously though, the bigger issue with 3G isn't not so much the speed as the latency, and the fact it just doesn't seem as reliable overall these days.

When one tethers on 3G it usually feels quite slow, and it has been that way for years and it doesn't seem to be getting better. When one tethers on LTE, it feels acceptable. This is a combination of the speed, the latency, and in fact just the overall availability of the network. LTE wins in all three respects, at least in urban areas.
Shrug, I almost never tether (and the handful of times I did, on LTE, it still awfully slow), so that's not really an issue for me. But at least for folks complaining about it being capped at 2.5 Mbps (when connected to LTE), it looks like there's no limit on actual 3G connections (for now).
Public Mobile
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
14115 posts
2350 upvotes
Toronto
wearysky wrote:
Jul 21st, 2017 12:47 pm
Shrug, I almost never tether (and the handful of times I did, on LTE, it still awfully slow), so that's not really an issue for me. But at least for folks complaining about it being capped at 2.5 Mbps (when connected to LTE), it looks like there's no limit on actual 3G connections (for now).
If you think LTE tethering is slow (and it is), then you would think 3G tethering is unbearable. But luckily you don't have to do this often.

However, this also translates to even just cell phone usage. 3G is too slow these days even for basic surfing on a phone these days. Yes, 3G is fine in ideal conditions, but most of the time in urban centres, we don't have ideal conditions.
Last edited by EugW on Jul 21st, 2017 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May 5, 2008
904 posts
207 upvotes
wearysky wrote:
Jul 21st, 2017 12:47 pm
It seems LTE (even capped at 2.5 Mbps) should be better than HSPA wrt latency etc (overall experience is much smoother).
At least my impression from playing somet itm ago with disabling LTE connection on Public.

What 2.5 Mbps cuts off is just HD video, all the rest should be super fast.

Not so long time ago my home internet was at 5 Mbps :)
Deal Guru
Dec 12, 2009
13105 posts
2962 upvotes
Toronto
Tichi wrote:
Jul 21st, 2017 12:59 pm
It seems LTE (even capped at 2.5 Mbps) should be better than HSPA wrt latency etc (overall experience is much smoother).
At least my impression from playing somet itm ago with disabling LTE connection on Public.

What 2.5 Mbps cuts off is just HD video, all the rest should be super fast.

Not so long time ago my home internet was at 5 Mbps :)
I think it was the last century when my home internet was 5 Mbps. 2.5 mbit is okay for most thing, but likely very challenging for video playback. Rather than waste time with a carrier willing to cripple their LTE and sell it as "3G" speed which is a bold face lie, just shop elsewhere.
Mar 28, 2011
369 posts
89 upvotes
Toronto
wearysky wrote:
Jul 21st, 2017 10:27 am

Why? There's no change to the rates that folks are paying that got in on the $40/4GB promo.

And a side note: one of the oracles mentioned over in the PM announcement thread that the 2.5 Mbps speed cap is *only for LTE connections*. If you disable LTE you can apparently get full 3G speeds. I'm waiting on confirmation to see if that's actually true though. If it is, suddenly PM isn't looking *as* bad as before.

Edit: yup, confirmed by one of the folks testing out the "3G" plans with speedtests:
https://productioncommunity.publicmobil ... rue#M10639
And this loophole will be shut down soon
UPDATE: Please note:

The "3G" plans over HSPA/HSPA+ network will also soon be capped to the same 2.5Mbps downlink & 0.4Mbps uplink, just like the "3G" plans over the LTE network. @Jeremy_M confirmed this when asked in our private oracle community area.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2005
1163 posts
761 upvotes
Richmond
BoredAtWork wrote:
Jul 21st, 2017 10:57 pm
And this loophole will be shut down soon
Even if on 3G you get full speed, I would still rather stays on LTE. LTE with a 2.5 Mbps throttle is still way more responsive than 3G with no throttle. Unless you are making big download I really don't see much benefit
May 5, 2008
904 posts
207 upvotes
will888 wrote:
Jul 21st, 2017 9:59 pm
I think it was the last century when my home internet was 5 Mbps. 2.5 mbit is okay for most thing, but likely very challenging for video playback. Rather than waste time with a carrier willing to cripple their LTE and sell it as "3G" speed which is a bold face lie, just shop elsewhere.
hehe. yes I'm that .. (RFD just removed a completely innocent word! :) ). It was a Bell DSL until I finally got pissed and decided to switch to a cable (Rogers).
But honestly I have not experienced any problem, until my folks started their heavy netlfixing/youtubing ;)
For anything else even 5Mbps is just fine.
Deal Guru
Dec 12, 2009
13105 posts
2962 upvotes
Toronto
Tichi wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2017 2:02 pm
hehe. yes I'm that .. (RFD just removed a completely innocent word! :) ). It was a Bell DSL until I finally got pissed and decided to switch to a cable (Rogers).
But honestly I have not experienced any problem, until my folks started their heavy netlfixing/youtubing ;)
For anything else even 5Mbps is just fine.
Don't you download or upload anything substantial? Back in the day when I was doing night CM updates to several devices, it was agonizing waiting minutes for the rom to download. Now, android file host can do 40-50 Mbytes/s sometimes. Nice to have instantaneous completion.
May 5, 2008
904 posts
207 upvotes
will888 wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2017 3:53 pm
Don't you download or upload anything substantial? Back in the day when I was doing night CM updates to several devices, it was agonizing waiting minutes for the rom to download. Now, android file host can do 40-50 Mbytes/s sometimes. Nice to have instantaneous completion.
Yeah, work-wise, now and then, I need to download some few-GBs-worth files, to process them locally,
and of course it is comfier at 100 Mbps now, wrt 5 Mbps before,
but overall it was not a life-changing experience.. 5 Mbps is ~2 GB per hour, so I did manage.

And for a cell-phone, who needs such heavy downloads anyway?
I must admit, PM played it pretty street-smart numbers-wise (though it does not look nice),
so, when the dust settles, most people who want to pay less, will find 2.5 Mbps acceptable ;)