Cell Phones

Public Mobile vs Freedom mobile

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 21st, 2019 2:40 pm

Poll: Which Carrier?

• Total votes: 39. You have voted on this poll.
Public Mobile

49%
Freedom Mobile

36%
Koodo Mobile

15%
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
16608 posts
6474 upvotes
Oakville
But in the grand scheme of things, unless you're downloading large files or streaming 1080p content, the speed difference is rarely noticeable.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
10403 posts
1175 upvotes
Vancouver
Ugh so Telus appears to be upping my plan by $10. I’m searching for something cheaper. I know very little about freedom or PM. My needs are LTE data. Minimal voice calling. Seems I’m texting. I spend most of my time in Vancouver.

Would Freedom work for me? Or other options?
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
16608 posts
6474 upvotes
Oakville
trellaine201 wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 2:19 am
Ugh so Telus appears to be upping my plan by $10. I’m searching for something cheaper. I know very little about freedom or PM. My needs are LTE data. Minimal voice calling. Seems I’m texting. I spend most of my time in Vancouver.

Would Freedom work for me? Or other options?
I've heard mixed reports about Freedom in Vancouver (specifically along the Skytrain, if memory serves?). What are your specific needs for LTE data? Might be worth giving PM's "3g speed" (really just LTE connections capped to 3mbit) a try to see if it suits your regular data habits, because it'd be the same coverage that you currently get with Telus.
Jul 22, 2013
163 posts
56 upvotes
Out'nAbout
pjw918 wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 9:32 pm
Good trick to beat the 3mbps LTE throttle on Public.
But it's not 21mbps, more like 8 or so (tested last fall).
Sorry, I'm not very technical here, but what setting would I choose from the five options below, in my Preferred network type option to reap the benefit of the trick mentioned above:
- GSM
- HSPA+/UMTS
- HSPA+/UMTS/GSM
- LTE/HSPA+/UMTS
- LTE/HSPA+/UMTS/GSM

Thanks in advance,
NewfieBullet
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2018
1737 posts
1305 upvotes
Bay Area
NewfieBullet wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 9:31 pm
Sorry, I'm not very technical here, but what setting would I choose from the five options below, in my Preferred network type option to reap the benefit of the trick mentioned above:
- GSM = 2G (EDGE) only
- HSPA+/UMTS = 3G only
- HSPA+/UMTS/GSM = 3G + 2G only
- LTE/HSPA+/UMTS = LTE + 3G only
- LTE/HSPA+/UMTS/GSM = LTE + 3G + 2G

Thanks in advance,
NewfieBullet
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
10403 posts
1175 upvotes
Vancouver
Data isn’t LTE on PM?

But would more reliable than Freedom? Cheaper than Telus etc? I spend most of my life in Vancouver as it’s so expensive I can’t afford to go anywhere :/

Thanks
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
10403 posts
1175 upvotes
Vancouver
Aww PM is expensive for my needs. Surprised. Thought it was a budget provider. Must belong to Telus lol
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2018
1737 posts
1305 upvotes
Bay Area
PM does belong to Telus lol
Oct 20, 2007
121 posts
109 upvotes
Edmonton
arkane wrote:
Feb 13th, 2019 12:24 am
PM does belong to Telus lol
Personally I will not support wolf in sheep's clothing, I am happy Freedom client.
And when the world is getting ready for 5G I wouldn't go back now to 3G speeds from PM, this is just my opinion.
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
10403 posts
1175 upvotes
Vancouver
Yeah I’m thinking the same re Telus. I don’t mind an increase but when your gouging at a 16.6% increase it makes me bitter.

Dunno what I’m going to do. I have a month to figure it out. Keep my eyes open.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2018
1737 posts
1305 upvotes
Bay Area
hotprime wrote:
Feb 13th, 2019 12:50 am
Personally I will not support wolf in sheep's clothing, I am happy Freedom client.
And when the world is getting ready for 5G I wouldn't go back now to 3G speeds from PM, this is just my opinion.
I refuse to use 3G out of principle, even if it "makes no difference" 90% of the time. It's 2019, and even HSPA+ is almost 10 years old ffs. That we have people actively promoting PM's ridiculous 3G plan just goes to show how desperate things are in Canada.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
18726 posts
6743 upvotes
Toronto
trellaine201 wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 11:46 pm
Data isn’t LTE on PM?

But would more reliable than Freedom? Cheaper than Telus etc? I spend most of my life in Vancouver as it’s so expensive I can’t afford to go anywhere :/

Thanks
Public Mobile data runs on the LTE network. They throttle the download and upload speed to 3 mbits/s. The benefits of LTE over 3G on latency is not lost. A more appropriate description of the service is LTE lite. As mentioned already, if you force the phone on 3G only, the speed is not throttled. In my local area, hspa+ can yield speeds up to around 25 mbits/s. Since it is the same network as Bellus, those moving from any of those brands will notice zero change in coverage.
̶K̶o̶o̶d̶o̶ ̶$̶4̶0̶/̶6̶G̶B̶
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB, $28 RBC 5GB promo
Fido $0.00/3GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
16608 posts
6474 upvotes
Oakville
NewfieBullet wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 9:31 pm
- GSM
- HSPA+/UMTS
- HSPA+/UMTS/GSM
- LTE/HSPA+/UMTS
- LTE/HSPA+/UMTS/GSM

Thanks in advance,
NewfieBullet
HSPA+/UMTS/GSM is what you'd want, but honestly? Just leave it on LTE. Even if you technically get faster *top* speeds with HSPA+, your day to day browsing experience will be worse because *latency* is better with LTE. If you ever briefly *need* higher top speeds (downloading one big file that you absolutely NEED to download at more than 3mbps, for whatever reason), maybe switch down, otherwise there's no point.
arkane wrote:
Feb 13th, 2019 1:03 am
I refuse to use 3G out of principle, even if it "makes no difference" 90% of the time. It's 2019, and even HSPA+ is almost 10 years old ffs. That we have people actively promoting PM's ridiculous 3G plan just goes to show how desperate things are in Canada.
More like 99% of the time if you leave it on LTE. Unless you're streaming 1080p (why would anybody do that with a limited data plan?) or downloading giant files (again, why?). People are promoting it because it's frankly the best value folks are gonna get on an in-market plan with no zone limitations. It might make you angry to think that you're on capped LTE, but aside from that factor, who cares? Lol.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
3059 posts
1037 upvotes
will888 wrote:
Jan 29th, 2019 10:45 am
OP, for $3 more each month, it is a no brainer, go with the better network.
I got public mobile and it’s data signal is pretty bad in the gta, can’t imagine freedom if it’s even worse.

And by bad I mean it shows 1-2 bars. However speed wise it works perfectly fine, Speedtest shows 19mbps.

Worried it’ll cut out in certain areas though, havnt had it long enough to know
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
16608 posts
6474 upvotes
Oakville
toronto19850 wrote:
Feb 15th, 2019 3:52 pm
I got public mobile and it’s data signal is pretty bad in the gta, can’t imagine freedom if it’s even worse.

And by bad I mean it shows 1-2 bars. However speed wise it works perfectly fine, Speedtest shows 19mbps.

Worried it’ll cut out in certain areas though, havnt had it long enough to know
You realize that Public is on the same network as all the other Telus brands (and for that matter, all the Bell brands too) right? Sounds like you hit a rough signal area (which all the carriers have), but to claim it's got pretty bad signal "in the GTA" seems a bit of an over-generalization.