• Last Updated:
  • Nov 24th, 2018 10:44 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jul 8, 2006
46 posts

public or private swimming course for Adult

Does anyone know any public or private swimming course for Adult? In either Miss, GTA, Aurora ?

Thanks a lot
8 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
8204 posts
840 upvotes
I use to teach Adult 1/2 for Toronto Parks and Rec.

My advice is:

If you are comfortable in water (can submerge your head in w/o panicking) or you're good with "mind over matter" or a quick learner, the public course is good for you.

If you aren't comfortable in water (can't submerge your head) or a slower learner, private lessons are better.

The group lessons simply don't offer as much student:instructor time as some people may need to get anything out of it. The group lessons are good for someone who can spend 1 minute with the instructor and "work" on something on their own for 5 mins before they get more help/feedback. If you need constant support/assurance/etc., the group lessons are a waste of time and money.

You can also look into the "Total Immersion" program. I personally don't buy into their technique, but a lot of people have been successful with their program learning as adults.
[OP]
Jul 8, 2006
46 posts
You know what,

guys, I think that's very very nice and appreciative for your support.

I have to get my head/ass into water as soon as possible,

Thanks,
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
5210 posts
515 upvotes
Just check your local municipality's Parks and Rec guide. There are tonnes of options for swimming lessons, both private and group. Fiance is currently taking adult lessons and there were lots of options for times/locations in both Vaughan and Richmond Hill at the time we were signing him up. The fee is pretty good value too. It think it was about $89 for 10 classes.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
7820 posts
477 upvotes
Sorry to bring back an old thread. I don't know why , all the sudden I want to overcome my water phobia and learn to swim. I was thrown into water by my uncle when I was a kid, and I have been scared of water ever since........ Especially with cold water. If I shower from head to bottom with cold water, I found I would have a hard time breathing. Anyway, I really want to overcome this fear and learn swimming. Hope I don't need to see a psychologist first before taking swimming lessons. Some people hypnosis can't help people to overcome the phobia. Not sure how true it is.
Jan 15, 2010
149 posts
14 upvotes
Mississauga
I have a bit of a water phobia too and I just started swimming lessons in Sept.
After a bit of research, I registered for private lessons, ie. one on one. They did probe to understand my motivation for learning as well as my level of fear for water. I'm ok as long as I can touch the bottom of the pool - hopefully, I'll be able to eliminate this in the coming weeks.
I've made enough progress that I can swim breaststroke about 15-20 metres without any floatation aids (e.g. noodle) or without touching the bottom of the pool. I'm struggling with the breathing part when it comes to the front crawl though; with practice, that will come. Breaststroke makes breathing easier, for me anyway. My lessons are once a week, 30 minutes but I will try to get to the pool 2-3 times a week to practice on my own.
I have an experienced instructor who is very good at explaining the technical side, identifying areas of improvement, etc.
Hope this helps - all the best !
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
16323 posts
13091 upvotes
Toronto
kudos to @rdx and @broken1arrow for taking lessons. so many unnecessary , preventable drowning deaths each year

I'm so grateful that my mom put me in YMCA lessons from a very young age. inspired me to get my kids into lessons right away

people in Brampton can get free 'swim to survive' lessons

https://econnect.brampton.ca/econnect/A ... ?aid=73740
An earlier version of this article incorrectly described a behavior of crows exposed to crow corpses. Live crows only touch, attack and attempt intercourse with crow corpses, they do not scavenge them. (Actual NYT correction)
Apr 23, 2008
341 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto
I always get waitlisted for the public course. Any recommendation for a good private instructor/institute for one on one class? I have a pool at my place wondering if it's a good idea to get an instructor to come to my place for a one on one class. Thanks!