• Last Updated:
  • Mar 7th, 2019 6:34 pm
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2006
1313 posts
474 upvotes
Toronto
Reminding me of the stereotypical older generations saying:
Back in the days.....I had to walk miles to go to school.....
now
Back in the days....I had to transfer to go to school.....

But I do agree, Toronto's public transit's are pretty behind compared to other cities.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2014
1905 posts
756 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
webdoctors wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 12:15 pm
There's 2 reasons the TTC and the TTC+York transit integration is so terrible and slow.

1. So you have time to think about what events in life led you to having to take public transit.

2. What things you can change so you never have to take public transit again.
This is accurate.
Many a times I pondered these very questions when I took the TTC.

Thankfully, I’ve moved past those dark days and don’t have to do it anymore.
This space for rent.
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2005
1100 posts
113 upvotes
Toronto
It'a no secret that the TTC is the most under funded public transportation system in North America. Sure it would be great to have subways that go everywhere, but where is the money going to come from? Politicians are the ones to blame, with each new election, changes get made to the transportation plans. These changes end up costing the tax payer multi millions of dollars.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2006
3577 posts
483 upvotes
Ok, comparing Canada to China is like apples to oranges, but still....

Beijing (2001-2016)

Shanghai (1994-2014)

Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2005
1100 posts
113 upvotes
Toronto
heymikey wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 8:21 pm

Beijing (2001-2016)

Shanghai (1994-2014)

Don't forget the bullet train from the airport in Shanghai.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2006
7257 posts
2356 upvotes
Toronto
wrigley wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 5:07 pm
It'a no secret that the TTC is the most under funded public transportation system in North America. Sure it would be great to have subways that go everywhere, but where is the money going to come from? Politicians are the ones to blame, with each new election, changes get made to the transportation plans. These changes end up costing the tax payer multi millions of dollars.
As one guy shouted to a driver when the 70C bus crashed the wall at warden station tonite and it took 40 mins Unamused Face for for a replacement bus : get rid of the union !
Sharing is Caring - Without people sharing, these forums would not exist and no one would benefit from these knowledge and information.
Apr 14, 2017
866 posts
407 upvotes
DT Calgary
And the Finch West LRT has essentially not even started yet. This was supposed to be completed 6 years ago LOL.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1513 posts
192 upvotes
Markham, ON
Population growth leads to more vehicles on the road and measures to reduce the number of vehicles on the road like encouraging the use of public transit, car pooling and reduction of maximum speed limit. Whether the measures work is another question...

They need roads like the 407 so people can actually enjoy their speedy sport cars. It is funny to see that sporty speed car going at 40km/hr at the local street or need a restart while being stuck in a traffic jam and not speeding off to the sun at whatever speed it can go. Public roads just goes up to a maximum of 100 km/hr.

Maybe the immigration office should consider encouraging applicants to not settle in Ontario and think about living in the other provinces. Canada has more than one province and three territories.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2014
1905 posts
756 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
heymikey wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 8:21 pm

Beijing (2001-2016)

Shanghai (1994-2014)

Even the university line in the 60s went from approval by council to opening in 5 years.

Fast forward to today, the Scarborough extension of the BD line was approved 5 years ago and we still haven’t even broken ground yet!
This space for rent.
Jan 12, 2017
555 posts
210 upvotes
I'm usually all for open consultation, but the parasitic impact of strong-willed people speaking up about issues they 'feel' badly about (with no actual competence) is sinking our communities like quicksand.

Hopefully the move to intellectual, analytical and tangible industries will begin to overshadow the creative and emotional disciplines resulting in recovery to a balanced society. (Although that seems unlikely until we hit rock bottom/catastrophe)
TheImp wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 8:40 am
Even the university line in the 60s went from approval by council to opening in 5 years.

Fast forward to today, the Scarborough extension of the BD line was approved 5 years ago and we still haven’t even broken ground yet!
Penalty Box
Mar 10, 2018
2859 posts
204 upvotes
mr_raider wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 11:45 am
Why not compare Toronto to Montreal? Montreal metro has a higher ridership per day despite having half the population to serve.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... _ridership
You cant compare city/Province of freeloaders to anyone in world. You make fares cheap in Toronto and ridership will increase. Those guys enjoy at expense of Albert/Ontario or Canada.
I dont care about Ethics, morals, rules or laws. I will apologies only when I get caught.
I try not to apologies but sometimes do it. not because its right thing but it benefits me.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
22811 posts
2687 upvotes
Montreal
callernamet wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 1:17 pm
You cant compare city/Province of freeloaders to anyone in world. You make fares cheap in Toronto and ridership will increase. Those guys enjoy at expense of Albert/Ontario or Canada.
A single adult fare for the subway in Montreal is 3.25. same as Toronto.
Penalty Box
Mar 10, 2018
2859 posts
204 upvotes
mr_raider wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 2:07 pm
A single adult fare for the subway in Montreal is 3.25. same as Toronto.
Oh. I thought it was $2 or $2.50. May be I checked some wrong site. My apologies for that. But as for rest I stand by.
I dont care about Ethics, morals, rules or laws. I will apologies only when I get caught.
I try not to apologies but sometimes do it. not because its right thing but it benefits me.