• Last Updated:
  • Dec 6th, 2019 7:46 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
1341 posts
682 upvotes

Public transport evaders.

Have you ever evaded paying for public transportation? Was it peer pressure? Could not afford it? Protesting? Social media dare?What was your reason behind it?
13 replies
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
17763 posts
2928 upvotes
Toronto
I fell asleep on the GO train once and overshot my stop by 2 stations, then got off and got on the next train going back to my station, all without paying for that extra distance. Does that count?
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Jun 4, 2018
110 posts
49 upvotes
Windsor/Essex Ontari…
I admit I try very hard to avoid using public transport.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20338 posts
4299 upvotes
Poormond Hill
One time I was in Vancouver and went to use the transit. Couldn't find where to pay, so I thought it was free.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2007
4932 posts
1068 upvotes
Never evaded. In Toronto we have the TTC. I still think proof of payment system is the most backwards thing ever. Every other country I have been to has a much better system.

In Seoul for example you tap when you get on and when you get out. This applies for buses and subway. Inter city trains (KTX) require a prepaid ticket. In the subways, it's gated so you can't get out if you don't tap. If you have insufficient funds it will tell you to refill and won't let you out. On buses, if you don't tap on exit, the system assumes the highest rate after a certain period of time. The mean "uncles" driving buses won't let you get on without tapping.

In the TTC, the street cars are so easy to avoid paying. I've used maybe 10 times in 2019 and never been inspected once (though I had paid each time). The subway gates are low enough that I've seen people jump/climb over it. There is no tap out system and anyone can just walk out. Workers with union mentality don't seem to give a damn, probably because their union rule says their personal safety comes first.

TTC is losing revenue due to stupidity. Worse yet, a fully electronic system like the one in Seoul would be useful in collecting ridership data, such as length of trips, and stop usage. Then we can use such information for better city planning and dedicate resource to aligning bus routes to citizen's needs. All this inefficiency because of the friggin unions. They want to create some cushy jobs.
Oct 14, 2017
441 posts
311 upvotes
Toronto
Every time the fare collector was asleep.
Aug 23, 2019
808 posts
394 upvotes
BananaHunter wrote:
Dec 4th, 2019 2:08 pm
Never evaded. In Toronto we have the TTC. I still think proof of payment system is the most backwards thing ever. Every other country I have been to has a much better system.

In Seoul for example you tap when you get on and when you get out. This applies for buses and subway. Inter city trains (KTX) require a prepaid ticket. In the subways, it's gated so you can't get out if you don't tap. If you have insufficient funds it will tell you to refill and won't let you out. On buses, if you don't tap on exit, the system assumes the highest rate after a certain period of time. The mean "uncles" driving buses won't let you get on without tapping.

In the TTC, the street cars are so easy to avoid paying. I've used maybe 10 times in 2019 and never been inspected once (though I had paid each time). The subway gates are low enough that I've seen people jump/climb over it. There is no tap out system and anyone can just walk out. Workers with union mentality don't seem to give a damn, probably because their union rule says their personal safety comes first.

TTC is losing revenue due to stupidity. Worse yet, a fully electronic system like the one in Seoul would be useful in collecting ridership data, such as length of trips, and stop usage. Then we can use such information for better city planning and dedicate resource to aligning bus routes to citizen's needs. All this inefficiency because of the friggin unions. They want to create some cushy jobs.
They use cellphone towers to track usage data.

Toronto.com has all the usage stats in Toronto and they are pretty accurate.
Apr 15, 2014
726 posts
662 upvotes
Toronto, ON
People aren’t paying in Toronto because it’s too easy to get away with it. In 3 years and +/- 500 rides on a streetcar I’ve seen fare inspectors once. Furthermore, when they boarded they told everyone to go tap if they didn’t already. This free public transit system needs to stop.
Please respond
Deal Guru
Feb 23, 2008
11197 posts
917 upvotes
Brampton
Should be free. Then nobody would want to drive and this would reduce greenhouse gas emissions tremendously.
Lets Go Blue Jays!!!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2011
5550 posts
1226 upvotes
GTA
cheapmeister wrote:
Dec 5th, 2019 4:22 pm
Should be free. Then nobody would want to drive and this would reduce greenhouse gas emissions tremendously.
The public libraries are free, and the snow removal are also free..

But I think it's more liberal and equal for all IFF subway (and the parking at all manjor hubs) to be free, or next to free, if congestion is concerned.

People shouldn't be driving where it's already congested. The reisdents in those area are paying for both the mantinenance and the opportunity cost of the congestion.

If out of GTA want to use my Toronto road, pay your fair share of TTC through your property taxes too.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 10, 2003
7187 posts
1760 upvotes
Once. I was coming back from Oshawa and realized my Presto load never made it to my card when I tapped before getting on the GO train. I would've had to wait an hour for the next train if I went to talk to an attendant about it, so I just got one.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)