Tags:
None
[OP]
Apr 26, 2011
55 posts
4 upvotes
Surrey

Pull up chin up bar

Are all home pull up chin up bars created equally or is one better than another? I have seen the ones at CT and Wal-mart. Any recommendations
6 replies
May 31, 2008
742 posts
352 upvotes
Toronto
I havent shopped around for such items, but I did purchase this one from Sears for $30.
http://www.sears.ca/product/as-seen-on- ... IT00010506
Its good.
The only complaint I had with it is..... that it does cause some damage on the area above your door, as the pressure of your weight is pressed against the area of the door.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2006
2195 posts
436 upvotes
Guelph
I have the one from Canadian Tire. It's decent and does the trick. Only problem though is that you can't get a very wide grip on them. It's okay for chin-ups but not the best for pull-ups.
Macreo Photography
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2006
2195 posts
436 upvotes
Guelph
Here's my chance to wh0re out one of my YouTube videos of me doing some pull-ups. :)

Notice how wide a grip I use compared to the ones you buy for the doorways.

Macreo Photography
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
9549 posts
715 upvotes
Muskoka
I put up a pair of $18 rock climbing training holds (MEC) in my basement doorway, they are similar to a pull up bar if you use the top hold. The rule is that every time I pass them, I have to do at least 5-10 pull ups, meaning I usually do at least 30 a day. To me, this set up means I use them a lot more than if I put a pull up bar somewhere else where it was gather dust.

Just an idea.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2006
2195 posts
436 upvotes
Guelph
Bullseye wrote:
Feb 29th, 2012 8:15 am
I put up a pair of $18 rock climbing training holds (MEC) in my basement doorway, they are similar to a pull up bar if you use the top hold. The rule is that every time I pass them, I have to do at least 5-10 pull ups, meaning I usually do at least 30 a day. To me, this set up means I use them a lot more than if I put a pull up bar somewhere else where it was gather dust.

Just an idea.

That's a REALLY great idea!
Macreo Photography
Jan 6, 2008
434 posts
46 upvotes
Thai wrote:
Feb 29th, 2012 9:01 am
That's a REALLY great idea!
I'm going to take a look at them too. the variety of hand-holds is attractive to me. and Thai, good height on your pull-ups. chin over bar! some guys take the reduced range of motion to their advantage and barely move up and down. i suspect you do weighted pull-ups normally.