Home & Garden

pulled out carpet - staples - pull out or hammer in?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 13th, 2017 9:40 am
[OP]
Mar 31, 2015
67 posts
1 upvote
Cambridge

pulled out carpet - staples - pull out or hammer in?

took off my carpet - can i just hammer in the staples instead of pulling them out? there are hard to remove staples that i'm wanting to just pound in.

I am installing a 12mm laminate with an attached pad. no underlay on subfloor.

Thanks for the advice!
9 replies
Nov 10, 2015
881 posts
192 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
I had the the same dilemma this past winter. Ended up getting a friend to help me and we pulled a few hundred out with pliers in a short time. It went quicker than I had anticipated.
Anyone But Justin 2019
Aug 18, 2014
224 posts
95 upvotes
Markham, ON
Lexisexy wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 11:55 am
took off my carpet - can i just hammer in the staples instead of pulling them out? there are hard to remove staples that i'm wanting to just pound in.

Thanks for the advice!
When we were doing nail down hardwood, we pull most of it out. Few that were hard to take out we just hammer them in.
With the right tools (flat screw drivers and a piler, it wasn't that difficult to pull them out)
For laminate floor I dont' think it matters that much. For wood floors, the hardwood nail could end up hitting the staples if there are too many on the floor.
[OP]
Mar 31, 2015
67 posts
1 upvote
Cambridge
oh good. we are trying our best to pull out but there are some stubborn ones. LOL. Thanks!
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
3809 posts
1670 upvotes
Edmonton
For the stubborn ones, just dig them out. You're not worried about damaging your floor at this point, right?

For our reno, we ended up tearing out a bunch of carpet on the stairs. A bunch of staples got left that seemed fairly embedded, so we just left them. Over the winter, many of those staples ended up backing out somewhat, creating a toe/bare foot hazard. We ended up digging them all out eventually, even the ones that still seemed quite embedded.

In your case, I'd rather pull them all out now, rather than leave some that might work their way back out. It doesn't matter much if they damage the back of your laminate, but I'd be concerned about the noise.

Just my $0.02... Much easier to deal with now than a year from now.

C
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
2566 posts
353 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
Lexisexy wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 2:03 pm
oh good. we are trying our best to pull out but there are some stubborn ones. LOL. Thanks!
needle nose pliers make fast work
signature removed for inappropriate content
Aug 18, 2014
224 posts
95 upvotes
Markham, ON
Lexisexy wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 2:03 pm
for the stubborn ones, twist and roll. dont' pull.
Deal Addict
Feb 2, 2014
3580 posts
611 upvotes
Toronto
Lexisexy wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 11:55 am

Thanks for the advice!
Pull them out. Use a flathead if you need help.

Prepping the subfloor is very, very important to the final product. Make sure they are level as well.
Kevin Somnauth, CFA
Mortgage Agent and Real Estate Sales Representative
May 28, 2007
229 posts
39 upvotes
Peterborough
You can quickly pull them out with channel lock pliers. Just grab staple and use the plier head as a lever. Works if there is the odd nail as well (never know what you will find in renos).