None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2001
3085 posts
515 upvotes
Water loo

Puppy eats rabbit poop

New puppy, as I potty train to hit backyard lawn the puppy keeps getting distracted and eating rabbit poop. Why oh why??? Is this bad for them?
8 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2009
2272 posts
810 upvotes
Don't think so.

My dogs eat them as well (two Shiba Inu's) and they honestly look like dog kibble.

Not sure if they eat it because they are dogs and they just eat everything that looks remotely close to food

OR

It has some sort of euphoric effect like antelope and elephant poop does to lions.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2009
1059 posts
222 upvotes
I think all dogs enjoy rabbit poop--they're like canine Raisin Glosettes. My vet said as long as it's not excessive, don't worry about it. However, my dog also gets a worm pill every three months because she goes off leash and sometimes she finds in the woods items nastier than rabbit droppings.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
2462 posts
928 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Wolves apparently go for guts of herbivores (e.g., deer) because they get the digested veg they need. Dogs may do the same for the same reasons.
Almost too cheap to shop through RFD
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
20499 posts
1955 upvotes
Toronto
yup, my doggy does this too......I have to watch her closely to make sure she doesn't snag some rabbit glossettes...

She ends up getting the runs from this so I have to make sure she doesn't snag some....

FS: Blackberry PRIV
Heatware: 63-0-0
Mar 5, 2008
370 posts
55 upvotes
yep my dog loves rabbit droppings we have an pretty enclosed backyard so we rarely have rabbit poops in my backyard so he goes off leash potty back there but on our walks i just watch for him and what he's sniffing on our walks

he's eaten them alot at my parents yard (they have tons of rabbits running around in their neighborhood) and he's never had any tummy issues after eating it its just gross thats all
immediate teeth brushing after if he does because nobody likes rabbit poop breath
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
2462 posts
928 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
p.s. this is a prime example why some cultures/religions view dogs as unclean animals.
Almost too cheap to shop through RFD
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3078 posts
478 upvotes
Our dog eats everything, including rabbit poop and heaven knows what else. He is very fast. He therefore gets the Lepto shot and has for all of his 16 years. He has never had a reaction or obviously we wouldn't be vaccinating him. He weighs 25 lbs.
Oct 2, 2018
162 posts
104 upvotes
Toronto
Every once in a while my Havaneese will get distracted and eat some rabbit poop, but i tugg him along and he stops. Have seen this with many dogs, so i don't worry about it. I think the odd time it might even be some goose poop, however not a daily or weekly thing, not even a monthly thing.

If your dogs is eating all kinds of poop rather frequently on the other hands then talk to your vet as it could be a diet/mineral deficiency.