• Apr 10th, 2019 11:31 am
Tags:
[OP]
Jul 22, 2015
263 posts
92 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Puppy Vaccines?

Does anyone know where I can buy vaccines to give to my puppies? I have 3 puppies that are almost 8 weeks old and I want to give them their first shots/vaccines. I can't seem to find a retailer who sells the vaccines itself.
12 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
5416 posts
618 upvotes
Take them to a vet. There's a good reason that the sale of medication/vaccines is restricted to specific buyers.
Aug 1, 2006
352 posts
153 upvotes
Toronto
You might want to follow the minimized vaccine schedule of prominent holistic veterinarian Dr. Karen Becker:
I give the first round of distemper, parvo and adenovirus (no parainfluenza) = core vaccine, before 12 weeks of age, usually around 9 to 10 weeks. Then the second round between 15 and 16 weeks. Two weeks after the second round, I titer to insure the dog has been immunized and not just vaccinated. ( If titres are good she doesn't repeat the core vaccine). When it comes to rabies, I prefer to give the first vaccine at six months, and then as required by law, a booster one year later and every three years thereafter.

New Canine Vaccine Rules
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
5416 posts
618 upvotes
Bull Dog wrote:
Mar 27th, 2019 11:40 pm
You might want to follow the minimized vaccine schedule of prominent holistic veterinarian Dr. Karen Becker:
I give the first round of distemper, parvo and adenovirus (no parainfluenza) = core vaccine, before 12 weeks of age, usually around 9 to 10 weeks. Then the second round between 15 and 16 weeks. Two weeks after the second round, I titer to insure the dog has been immunized and not just vaccinated. ( If titres are good she doesn't repeat the core vaccine). When it comes to rabies, I prefer to give the first vaccine at six months, and then as required by law, a booster one year later and every three years thereafter.

New Canine Vaccine Rules
The link and the recommendations aren't coming from a Canadian source. In OP's province, dogs have to be vaccinated against rabies at three months.
Aug 1, 2006
352 posts
153 upvotes
Toronto
amz155 wrote:
Mar 29th, 2019 12:42 pm
The link and the recommendations aren't coming from a Canadian source. In OP's province, dogs have to be vaccinated against rabies at three months.
In that case, vaccinate at 3 mo, then a year later at 15 months of age with a 3 yr vaccine, then every 3 years.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
5416 posts
618 upvotes
Bull Dog wrote:
Mar 29th, 2019 4:13 pm
In that case, vaccinate at 3 mo, then a year later at 15 months of age with a 3 yr vaccine, then every 3 years.
Yes, but OP is asking where to buy vaccines so s/he can vaccinate his/her dog him/herself.
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1571 posts
953 upvotes
TorontoTacos wrote:
Mar 26th, 2019 8:47 pm
Does anyone know where I can buy vaccines to give to my puppies? I have 3 puppies that are almost 8 weeks old and I want to give them their first shots/vaccines. I can't seem to find a retailer who sells the vaccines itself.
You can buy them from the vet when they give the shots for you. I can't see any reputable company selling you shots to do yourself. Rabies shots you need the proper tags which you can only get from a vet as well. What do you plan on doing when it's time to get them fixed? Is that a DIY job as well?
Aug 1, 2006
352 posts
153 upvotes
Toronto
fusion2k2k wrote:
Mar 29th, 2019 5:47 pm
You can buy them from the vet when they give the shots for you. I can't see any reputable company selling you shots to do yourself. Rabies shots you need the proper tags which you can only get from a vet as well. What do you plan on doing when it's time to get them fixed? Is that a DIY job as well?
Yes, I would definitely want vet to give the rabies shot since they give you official record of such which you upload to the municipality when you register the dog. I phoned City of Vaughan about their rabies vaccination clinic that they hold periodically, and they give the 1 yr vaccination. So , I said, no thanks, since I'd rather pay more than the 20.00 they charge, and get a vet to administer the 3 yr rabies vaccination, which is the same one, but marketed with 3 yr of protection.
[OP]
Jul 22, 2015
263 posts
92 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Where do Breeders get their vaccines? Do they buy them from a supplier in bulk?
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
5416 posts
618 upvotes
TorontoTacos wrote:
Apr 1st, 2019 1:04 am
Where do Breeders get their vaccines? Do they buy them from a supplier in bulk?
Not all breeders vaccinate their own dogs. The ones that do often buy the vaccines from a veterinarian, after having demonstrated that they're knowledgeable enough to administer them.

Why don't you just do the right thing and bring your dog to a vet? Are you trained enough to conduct a physical and give an animal the go ahead to be vaccinated? Are you trained to deal with potential vaccine reactions? I'm guessing no, otherwise you wouldn't be asking about how to circumvent proper veterinary care for those puppies.
Jul 25, 2008
830 posts
246 upvotes
Toronto
Bring your dog to the vet... seriously. Would you vaccinate your own kids? I don’t understand the things some people do to save a few bucks. I see some people complaining they can’t afford this and that in terms of medical care foe their pets yet they can afford a Canada Goose jacket, have LV purses, always have the newest iphones and drive high end cars. I roll my eyes at these complaining clients.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
2983 posts
450 upvotes
Didi-beee - I 100% agree with you. The things that people will spend money on is astounding, yet when it comes to their pets they want to pay as little as possible.