Wheels and Tires

Purchased New Rims - Minor Damage - Safety Issue?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 7th, 2018 8:04 am
[OP]
Jul 7, 2007
29 posts
4 upvotes

Purchased New Rims - Minor Damage - Safety Issue?

Hi there,

I thought I'd request the help of the RFD experts out here. I purchased a set of new rims from costco.ca and they were just delivered today. I inspected each of the rims and one of them has some minor damage (pictures attached). Best way I can describe the location of the damage is that it is on the interior edge of the rim. Running my finger over the area, it is somewhat sharp.

If it is just cosmetic damage, I don't have a huge issue with it and I'll just keep the rim as-is. However, if it is a potential safety issue, then I'll return it and get a new rim from Costco. Is there any potential safety issue I should worry about? Sharp edge rubbing against the tire causing damage to the tire?

Thanks in advance!
Images
  • IMG-0690.JPG
  • IMG-0691.JPG
3 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
5947 posts
682 upvotes
I also bought 4 steel rims from Costco and when they came I found that one of the rims had the same kind of damage you're seeing although mine had a noticeable dent in it. There is no safety issue, just a concern that the tire might not seal properly against the rim and there could be a slow air leak. Anyway I took the damaged rim back to Costco store returns, showed the clerk where it was damaged and got my refund. No problem at all. I re-ordered a replacement and when it came a week later it was fine. (One minor point about the return - the online purchase was made with VISA but local Costco stores don't handle VISA so they had to process my refund to my debit card since I don't have a MC which they do handle.)

If you're buying rims from Costco online as soon as you receive them you should carefully go over the edges of every single one to make sure they're not bent. The packaging for these wheels is awful and it doesn't take much of a drop to dent the wheel inside. Don't accept anything that's not perfect.
[OP]
Jul 7, 2007
29 posts
4 upvotes
Thanks for the advice both of you! I’m going to return the damaged rim and get a new one.