Shopping Discussion

Purchasing from Amazon.com - prices in USD or CAD?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 15th, 2019 7:55 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jun 15, 2011
38706 posts
5618 upvotes
King City

Purchasing from Amazon.com - prices in USD or CAD?

I wanted to know if I buy an item from Amazon.com and get it shipped to a US address, are the prices in USD or CAD? I assume this also pertains as to what currency my CC is charged.

Thanks,
djemzine
The One and Only and Proud to be an Indian.
If I helped in any way, click that cool little "Thanks" button.
May 8, 2009
45103 posts
3657 upvotes
Toronto
Regardless you'll have to pay the USD amount either in USD or the converted CAD amount. I think it depends on your billing address if you'll have to pay USD or CAD. Just try checking out with a US address and see what appears on the final payment processing page.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2011
2061 posts
442 upvotes
Vancouver
you can use any CC, Amazon will charge your CC in US dollars. If the CC is a CDN CC, then your bank will convert to CDN when it post the charge and use the exchange rate at the time of the post.

It doe not matter whether you ship to a US address or a CDN address.
Sep 28, 2004
977 posts
125 upvotes
djemzine wrote:
Jun 16th, 2015 2:24 pm
I wanted to know if I buy an item from Amazon.com and get it shipped to a US address, are the prices in USD or CAD? I assume this also pertains as to what currency my CC is charged.

Thanks,
djemzine
The price is in USD. If you use a Canadian credit card you will be charged the exchange rate (for some point of the day, the card company can decide, it is not necessarily the rate at the time of purchase) + fee specified by your card for the currency exchange (on the order of 2%+ I believe). Where you have the item shipped is not relevant.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
2388 posts
1323 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
djemzine wrote:
Jun 16th, 2015 2:24 pm
It's an American site so it's kinda obvious that unless it says otherwise or there's an option to display prices otherwise, the displayed prices would be in USD. Your CC would - as someone has already said - be charged in USD, and your bill would show a converted amount in CAD.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
18296 posts
4834 upvotes
Man.. that'd be an awesome loophole if I could use a CAD credit card shipped to a US address and be billed the listed price in CAD.
That's like 30% off all of Amazon.
Oct 14, 2012
16 posts
14 upvotes
Brossard
Here is my contribution to the post:
I bought an item on amazon the 13 of Jan in USD with my Canadian credit card

Here is the open/close of the USD/CAD exchange rate at this day
13 jan 2017 00:00UTC usd/cad 1.31517 OPEN
13 jan 2017 23:00UTC usd/cad 1.31175 CLOSE

Here is the amount of the item I bought
82,21 DOLLAR US

The display exchange rate on my cc statement next to the transaction
TX: 1.349957

and finally, the price I paid in Canadian dollars charged to my cc statement
13 01 ** ** *** AMAZON MKTPLACE PMTS AMZN.COM/BILLWA 110,98

Therefore it is safe to say that (depending on the time I bought the item in the day) the difference of 1.349957(display on bill rate)-1.31517(Market open) = 0.034787

110.98/1.034787 = 107.25

110.98 - 107.25 = 3.73$

So my financial institution charged me 3.73$ for buying in USD
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
18296 posts
4834 upvotes
3.5% isn't even that bad considering you're comparing midmarket to actual exchange.
Assuming 1.5% for actual buy/sell you're paying 2% for your credit card to do the "hard" work.
Feb 17, 2018
2 posts
That's a great question! Glad I wasn't the only one not understanding Amazon's price displayed.

After search around even on Amazon's website... here are the list of countries supported to automatically (it seems) show the USD price in your country's currency based on which CC (AMEX, etc).
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer ... =201134280

I tried the 1-click without risking purchasing it, and doesn't find what Amazon suggested here... Amazon should rly make a step-by-step tutorial than having these info all over the place to hide info:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer ... =200672230
May 3, 2017
1 posts
anonymoushelper wrote:
Feb 18th, 2018 10:20 am
That's a great question! Glad I wasn't the only one not understanding Amazon's price displayed.

After search around even on Amazon's website... here are the list of countries supported to automatically (it seems) show the USD price in your country's currency based on which CC (AMEX, etc).
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer ... =201134280

I tried the 1-click without risking purchasing it, and doesn't find what Amazon suggested here... Amazon should rly make a step-by-step tutorial than having these info all over the place to hide info:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer ... =200672230
So if i get it rigth since my cad bank card is in cad and registered it should show the price in my cad currency or i did miss something because they never asked if i wanted to pay in usd or cad and since i never seen the little scrooling menu to choose my currency i just assumed that was the cad price since no mention of usd like with ebay and i got charged 50% extra of the price that is calculated at checkout
Feb 17, 2018
2 posts
If you are on amazon.ca, then that's CAD. If you are on amazon.com (which is USA), then it doesn't work for Canada
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2006
4910 posts
2394 upvotes
Toronto
anonymoushelper wrote:
Dec 16th, 2018 9:50 pm
If you are on amazon.ca, then that's CAD. If you are on amazon.com (which is USA), then it doesn't work for Canada
That is not what the OP is asking
I swear to drunk I'm not God 😝
Jun 19, 2015
543 posts
397 upvotes
I bought an item from Amazon.com that shipped to a US address. It asked if I wanted the charge to go through on my Mastercard as USD or CAD, I picked CAD and it billed exactly as expected.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
3804 posts
2812 upvotes
anonymoushelper wrote:
Dec 16th, 2018 9:50 pm
Not only is your answer incorrect... you're 3 years late to the party. Canadians can certainly order from Amazon.com... I do it all the time for items that aren't available on the .ca website.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
4634 posts
576 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
saberon2016 wrote:
Dec 17th, 2018 8:04 am
I bought an item from Amazon.com that shipped to a US address. It asked if I wanted the charge to go through on my Mastercard as USD or CAD, I picked CAD and it billed exactly as expected.
Has anyone figured out which is typically better, ie cheaper?

Have the item bought on amazon.com billed on a Canadian credit card in US dollars and have the Cdn bank do the conversion into Cdn dollars,
or have amazon.com do the conversion and have the Cdn CC billed in Cdn dollars.