Art and Photography

purchasing lens' on ebay? (wide for canon xs)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 24th, 2009 1:49 am
Tags:
None
Apr 16, 2006
122 posts
2 upvotes

purchasing lens' on ebay? (wide for canon xs)

I'm looking to purchase a wide angle lens for my Canon XS. Does anyone here think ebay is a good place to order lens'? I've been to futureshop and bestbuys and the prices for lens' are incredibly expensive. Ebay seems to be drastically cheaper when it comes to price, but as for quality I am unsure.

Is Ebay a good place to buy? Are there other alternatives?

Thanks
11 replies
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2004
10943 posts
430 upvotes
Markham/Mississauga
Henrys? Vistek? Aden? Downtown Camera? Have you tried those?

Don't know where you're from so hard to determine what retail camera stores are near you.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2007
13046 posts
11386 upvotes
I would try your local kijji or a local forum that is dedicated in selling camera lenses. Buying used should be fine if you know what you are looking at.
"An essential aspect of creativity is not being afraid to fail." -- Edward Land
Sep 28, 2009
425 posts
49 upvotes
GTA
If you checked out the local retailers and other sales check out B & H Cameras. They are very good.

I have also bought from 47th St Photo. Great prices but terrible customer service.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15620 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I've purchased lenses over ebay (in fact the last 3 or 4 lenses I have were all purchased on ebay).

There are a few things you will need to remember about purchasing lenses (or anything else) on ebay:

* For the most part it's safe.
* Having said the above, there will be some ripoffs
* Don't go overboard on bidding. The price will need to low enough to offset the auctions that you get ripped off on.
* Pay attention to the price. Some stuff isn't cheap.
* Pay attention to the description and ask questions. You can't say you got ripped off if you didn't do your homework. Remember they might omit some information that you will find important.
* Lots of US sellers won't ship to Canada and some Canadian sellers just charge too much for both the product and the shipping cost
* Buy it like there isn't a warranty on it - because there probably isn't.
* Check the sold items to see how much a similar item has sold for in the past. That will give you a good idea on how much to bid and when to stop.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2007
5823 posts
346 upvotes
Toronto
I suggest you go try it in store, and then check craigslist, or other places for used.
M-e-X-x wrote: Booty call AND you get gas money? Sweet!
My HEATWARE
100% Positive
Oct 7, 2009
58 posts
1 upvote
Kingston
craftsman wrote: I've purchased lenses over ebay (in fact the last 3 or 4 lenses I have were all purchased on ebay).

There are a few things you will need to remember about purchasing lenses (or anything else) on ebay:

* For the most part it's safe.
* Having said the above, there will be some ripoffs
* Don't go overboard on bidding. The price will need to low enough to offset the auctions that you get ripped off on.
* Pay attention to the price. Some stuff isn't cheap.
* Pay attention to the description and ask questions. You can't say you got ripped off if you didn't do your homework. Remember they might omit some information that you will find important.
* Lots of US sellers won't ship to Canada and some Canadian sellers just charge too much for both the product and the shipping cost
* Buy it like there isn't a warranty on it - because there probably isn't.
* Check the sold items to see how much a similar item has sold for in the past. That will give you a good idea on how much to bid and when to stop.
There are good tips. I've purchased lenses via Ebay as well and haven't had an issue. The best recommendation is definitely read the description. If you see a price that's too good to be true it probably is. The last time I saw something like that was a lens that had "one aperture blade is loose" in the fine print.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2006
7478 posts
1467 upvotes
Ottawa
If you are in big cities you can probably find used lens in local craiglist or kijiji. Otherwise, I would say fredmiranda.com buy and sell forum is a better place to buy used photo related stuff than ebay. photography-on-the.net also seems good.
Apr 16, 2006
122 posts
2 upvotes
Thanks for all the responses. I'm going to try searching through some local camera stores. Could anyone let me know how much would a decent wide-angle lens cost?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2007
5823 posts
346 upvotes
Toronto
$500. That's for the Sigma 10-20.

It's a good value for the price.

If you want better, look into the Tokina wides.
M-e-X-x wrote: Booty call AND you get gas money? Sweet!
My HEATWARE
100% Positive

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)