Off Topic Archive

Locked: Purchasing Something on Kijiji - SCAM?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 29th, 2007 7:28 pm
Jul 10, 2006
417 posts

Purchasing Something on Kijiji - SCAM?

Im purchasing an item off an ad I saw on kijiji, some places are scam and all. So I replied to the add and got an email.

Price: $500.
Free shipping.
This is new in sealed box and with 1 year warranty.
Shipping method: eBay Courier.
Time delivery: 3 days.

I'm from Romania and in my country PayPal service is not available yet.
We can use eBay Exchange Package.
I'll send the product via eBay Courier 3 days Air.
After that you will receive the instructions for payment via email and you will send the money via Western Union to an eBay agent.
eBay will inspect the goods and will confirm the payment and will make the exchange.
This method is ok for you?

I'll wait for your reply asap!

Best regards!

So i'm thinking huh?? how can you send something without no payments.

I asked him about how does his payment work.

will use a 100% safe method for this transaction.
If you agree with the terms then send me your complete name and address for shipping.

1) You send me your shipping information (your full name and address)
2) I will go to eBay to leave the product on their custody on your name as the intended receiver.
3) eBay Shipping will verify the content of the package left in their custody, to see if everything is OK with it, and also the legal papers that will come along with the product.
4) Once the inspection will be complete, eBay Shipping will send you a delivery notification in which you will be told that they have the product in their custody and the product are ready to be shipped.
5) At this point, you will have to make a money transfer via Western Union on the eBay COD officer name for the amount we agreed on and send the money transfer information linked to it(MTCN, sender's name and address and receiver's name and address) to eBay.
6) eBay Shipping will verify the money transfer, and if everything will be OK, they will ship the product to your shipping address.
7) After you will receive the product, you will have 2 days to check it and see if everything is as you expected.
8) If you will like the product, you will instruct eBay Shipping to release the money transfer information to me, so I can collect the money.
If you will find out that the product are not exactly like I told you that it will be, or that is something wrong with it, or that is something wrong with the legal papers, or you simply don't like them, you will return it to eBay Shipping. You will then go back to the Western Union Location were you made the money transfer and take back your money.
I will pay the shipping fee and you will have to pay the Western Union fee
I use this method, because I have found that this is the fastest and safest way to sell my products online.

I asked him why so cheap.

My store is sponsored through PHARE funds and I can sell at special prices.
I'll wait for your reply!

Best regards!

I asked him how much will the western union fee will be as he said he's paying shipping.

7% of total amount sent.
I'll wait for your reply!

Send me your complete name and address for shipping and I'll shipp you it today.

Best regards!

what do you guys think?? is this safe?? kind of too good to be true?? let me know!!!
16 replies
Dec 18, 2006
75 posts
Usually if something is too good to be true it usually is.

Sending money via Western Union is also a red flag.

Personally, I think it's shady.
Jul 10, 2006
417 posts
good thing I posted.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2004
3899 posts
big time scam, run for the hills..

Too bad these scams still work in this day and age! If only people were as smart as you and asked first!
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
18526 posts
All you should have to do is go to and see if they even offer this package exchange service.

( I will save you the trouble - they do not. Whatever this guy is talking about is a scam )
Apr 21, 2007
220 posts
1 upvote
Definitely a scam. My SO works at Kijiji, I'm going to call him right now and have that ad taken off. PM me the ad id, if possible.

Edit: Found the ad. I think.
Sep 17, 2007
23 posts
He's talking about Escrow, which eBay most certainly does not offer. It is when you use a 3rd party agent to verify the goods and the cash and then make the transfer. He's basically saying "I will ship the package to my friend, he will tell you it's real, you will send me the money and he will send you the package - NOT (in a Borat voice)"
Oct 24, 2004
15 posts
Hi ferozkq1,

Kijiji is meant to be used for local, in-person transactions. Unlike eBay, we can't offer payment services, feedback and other trust and safety methods. So I would stronly suggest you don't send any money and instead flag the ad or report it to our customer service reps. It sounds very fishy and like other scams we've seen before.

Unfortunately when you are the largest classifieds site in Canada (over 1 million live ads), and are completely free, scams and fraud ads sometimes do get in. We need the help of users and community members to help us keep the site clean and fraud fee. When in doubt, click a "Contact Kijiji" link on the site.

Thanks for using Kijiji and sorry to hear you may have had a bad experience,

Jul 16, 2007
341 posts
typical BS, forget it. same thing happended to me 3yrs ago and I almost sent the money out.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
5749 posts
There are so, so many alarm bells going off in reading this that I think I'm going deaf. Just about every sentence is filled with misinformation and lies that are easily exposed. eg "Shipping method: eBay Courier." Duh, no such thing.

What bothers me is that you even bothered to post this here and didn't recognize this as an obvious scam and not a very good one at that. With a little bit of research and effort the seller could have done a better job and probably snagged your money since it's clear you already partially believed this crap.

"what do you guys think?? is this safe?? kind of too good to be true?? let me know!!!"

Yeah, send him your money.
Jul 10, 2006
417 posts
I did search for it. But i'm not that experienced in ebay at all. So I don't know the whole up and down of ebay. Usually I just buy stuff on ebay locally and pick up.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
5749 posts
Forget about eBay. You need to learn to use Google. With a few key words like "Romania scam ebay" a search will turn up all kinds of horror stories about scams being pulled from Romania and the huge profits these crooks can obtain: ... siek072181 ... _page_id=2 ... 0001802858

In any true scam it's almost certain that you're not the first intended victim and you'll find postings out there from people who got taken. Learn to search for them. And never deal with anyone from Eastern Europe, Russia, Africa, etc.
× < >