Pets

Pure Balance pet food by Walmart. Is it good for my cat?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 10th, 2016 8:58 pm
[OP]
Aug 13, 2005
229 posts
25 upvotes

Pure Balance pet food by Walmart. Is it good for my cat?

I'm using this right now for my cat, but I definitely wouldn't mind going for the more top-end brands, which would double the cost ($25 vs $50 for a 6kg bag), but is it even worth it?

Here are the list of ingredients in their chicken recipe:

Chicken, Ground Barley, Turkey Meal, Chicken Meal, Ground Sorghum, Brown Rice, Animal Fat (Preserved With Mixed Tocopherols), Dried Peas, Dried Plain Beet Pulp, Natural Flavor, Brewers Dried Yeast, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Dried Carrots, Choline Chloride, Taurine, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (Source Of Vitamin C), Vitamin E Supplement, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Niacin, Vitamin A Supplement, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Manganous Oxide, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source Of Vitamin K Activity), Sodium Selenite, Folic Acid, Calcium Iodate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Cobalt Carbonate.

No corn and no by-products with meat making up three of the top 4, so it doesn't seem to be that bad. Is it worth the upgrade to the top-end brands? Like I said, I wouldn't mind feeding my cat better food and I want to, but it seems like a marginal upgrade for double the cost.
21 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
2952 posts
438 upvotes
The Beet Pulp jumped out at me - but then again a lot of pet foods have it listed as an ingredient. I just happen to know about it.
[OP]
Aug 13, 2005
229 posts
25 upvotes
Blanche123 wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2016 11:43 am
The Beet Pulp jumped out at me - but then again a lot of pet foods have it listed as an ingredient. I just happen to know about it.
Bull Dog wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2016 8:32 am
I wouldnt get it since it has menadione which is Vit K3, which is worse for the cat compared to Vit K1
Are these a big deal and which cat food should I get that are free from any ingredients that are bad for cats?
Aug 1, 2006
70 posts
34 upvotes
I have never had a cat, but from what I understand, it's optimal to feed your cat wet cat food- grain free is especially good , it's more economical to buy the big cans, eg. Weruva is one well respected brand
[OP]
Aug 13, 2005
229 posts
25 upvotes
Bull Dog wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2016 11:33 pm
I have never had a cat, but from what I understand, it's optimal to feed your cat wet cat food- grain free is especially good , it's more economical to buy the big cans, eg. Weruva is one well respected brand
Yeah, ideally cats should eat only wet food, but that's expensive. I have an 8 pound cat and I would have to spend like 5 bucks a day to feed her only wet food. So that's not really an option.
Aug 1, 2006
70 posts
34 upvotes
If you are on a really tight budget, I would say the Kirkland Super Premium Maintenance dry cat food has better ingredients.
Apr 25, 2011
695 posts
255 upvotes
British Columbia
krazykanuck87 wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2016 11:45 pm
Yeah, ideally cats should eat only wet food, but that's expensive. I have an 8 pound cat and I would have to spend like 5 bucks a day to feed her only wet food. So that's not really an option.
It depends on the wet food. It is argued by some that the best dry food is worse than the worst wet food.

I was at Petsmart yesterday and bought Friskies (very low end) for my 20+ year old cat for 38 cents a tin (on sale at 50 cents then I used an additional coupon). She's lived on that food the whole time with no issues medically her entire life. If you can afford better food go for it, but Friskies has served my cat well. Another cat I had lived to 18 on it as well.

I think the majority of issues cats develop stem from genetics but dry food certainly can lead down the path to a number of issues.

They should only need one 5oz tin a day. Most cats are around 10 pounds or less -- if they weigh more they are likely over weight.
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2007
3947 posts
479 upvotes
My cat is 20 years old and has eaten Friskies/Whiskas dry and wet food her whole life. Never had any issues.
[OP]
Aug 13, 2005
229 posts
25 upvotes
Bull Dog wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2016 7:22 am
If you are on a really tight budget, I would say the Kirkland Super Premium Maintenance dry cat food has better ingredients.
I'm not on a super tight budget. Like I said, I wouldn't mind purchasing the top-end dry food at $50 per ~6kg bag, but is it really worth double the cost over what I currently use? Pure Balance isn't perfect, but it doesn't seem like I'm putting my cat's health at a higher risk by giving her this.

Is there a dry food that free from all of the bad ingredients?
Aug 1, 2006
70 posts
34 upvotes
A few high end wet foods come to mind that aren't too expensive- Halo Spot's Stew at petsmart for $2.79 for a 5.5 oz can and Weruva paw lickin $2.92 per 5.5 oz can
[OP]
Aug 13, 2005
229 posts
25 upvotes
Bull Dog wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2016 5:58 pm
A few high end wet foods come to mind that aren't too expensive- Halo Spot's Stew at petsmart for $2.79 for a 5.5 oz can and Weruva paw lickin $2.92 per 5.5 oz can
Giving my cat one can a day of either brand of wet food would set me back $150 a month compared to dry food where even using the top end brands of dry food would only cost me ~$12 a month.

Feeding my cat wet food exclusively isn't an option.
Apr 23, 2008
389 posts
51 upvotes
Kanata
For information only, look up the website catinfo.org I found it when one of my cats was diagnosed with diabetes. We did lots of research and also switched all our cats to wet food.

Right now we feed our cats Friskies (often goes on sale for 50-60 cents) and the large cans of Special Cat wet food from Walmart (52 cents a can). They're fed twice a day every 12-ish hours with half a can per cat/meal. I think you can afford 52 cents per day, which is about $18 a month including tax. Just avoid the flavors with cheese and gravy (paté is best as it has less fat). Fish should also only be served up to 2-3 times per week to keep levels of phospherous and metals low. I choose a mix of cans of chicken, beef, liver, turkey, salmon and tuna.
Apr 25, 2011
695 posts
255 upvotes
British Columbia
Bull Dog wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2016 5:58 pm
You just listed two of the most expensive brands there are. They are good foods (and Weruva is only 2.29 here...?) but they are still extremely expensive. However .50-.80 cents a day should be doable if they're interested in a wet food diet as it does not need to be high end food.

Dry food is never going to compare as it has carbs (a lot of carbs!) by default -- cats do not need carbs in their diet. Dry food also requires cats to drink an exceptional amount to reconstitute the food and then drink the amount a cat should on top -- they don't, and thus do not drink enough when fed dry food. Their natural diet of prey is quite close to a wet food diet however.
Nov 7, 2012
657 posts
231 upvotes
TORONTO
I have a 7 yr old orange tabby (Jack). Early in his life I had him on some cheap brands like Purina cat chow, Friskies and even PC brand dry food. Never had a problem. Around his 3-4th year I put him on Blue Buffalo(Dry indoor hairball control) and he loved it. Never really veered off from those brands.
Earlier this year I purchased Blue Buffalo grain free Freedom dry food as it was on sale at Pet Smart. He seemed to like it. In a few months he started to develop all this dander and it looked like he had weeping sores on his back. This spread ALL over his back and to his head. He would mainly sit in one area licking and scratching himself. When I would pet him you could feel the crispy sores all over his back. He would leave a pile of fur with scabs attached to him. His back looked spotty as some of the areas would be bald. I never took him to the vet. I could have but the last time we took him to the vet we spent over $2000 because he had a UTI. The vet blamed the original Blue Buffalo dry food we fed him, but really he was pretty stressed when we were dog sitting my brothers dogs. One of them terrorized Jack and Jack would rarely leave our bedroom the whole day and I would literally have to bring him to his litter box.

Anyway, I stopped feeding Jack that Blue Buffalo Freedom food and took it back to wet Friskies Pate. Jack hates any other versions where its chunky. He doesn't even touch Fancy Feast either. A month later and many vacuuming sessions Jack stopped shedding the dander and he's back to normal.

So what I'm trying to say is, spending a lot of damn money on cat food means NOTHING. I bought a huge bag of Purina cat chow and he loves it and doesn't cause him any problems. I buy a crap load of Friskies wet pate as well and he couldn't be any happier. Cats are pretty picky when it comes to food. And most animals hate those damn Life Source Bits that Blue Buffalo. Our dog always seems to leave them in his bowl, Jack used to leave them as well.