Pets

Pure Balance pet food by Walmart. Is it good for my cat?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 10th, 2016 8:58 pm
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
2986 posts
454 upvotes
krazykanuck87 wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2016 5:17 pm
Blanche123 wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2016 11:43 am
The Beet Pulp jumped out at me - but then again a lot of pet foods have it listed as an ingredient. I just happen to know about it.
Bull Dog wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2016 8:32 am
I wouldnt get it since it has menadione which is Vit K3, which is worse for the cat compared to Vit K1
Are these a big deal and which cat food should I get that are free from any ingredients that are bad for cats?
I saw the woman today who has a cat and who will not feed beet pulp. She feeds her cat Fromm (we feed our dog Fromm as well. It does not contain beet pulp. None of the foods carried by our dog's groomer do.
Apr 25, 2011
955 posts
481 upvotes
British Columbia
akswun wrote:
Oct 6th, 2016 11:40 am
So what I'm trying to say is, spending a lot of damn money on cat food means NOTHING.
I would not say this.

It is akin to saying people spending money on fruits, vegetables and fresh meats are throwing away their money compared to others that eat fast food all the time. Have you read what by-products really mean? Do you realise cats cannot utilise corn and other plant based products like a human can since they're carnivores?

Of course ingredients matter to some extent. Hence why some cats require eating speciality foods and why cats are more likely to end up overweight, diabetic and with FLUTD (urinary issues) on dry food.

People can smoke and drink daily and live to 90, too. It doesn't mean it was good for them. Diet, exersice and genetics are all relevant factors.
[OP]
Aug 13, 2005
229 posts
26 upvotes
So what are some examples of good dry cat foods that I should look into getting? Price isn't an issue as it pertains to dry food, so don't recommend any wet foods please as that is not a consideration at the moment.
Aug 1, 2006
409 posts
202 upvotes
Toronto
What's wrong with Kirkland Signature Super Premium Healthy Weight Indoor Formula? It's from Costco, and quite inexpensive:

Chicken meal, ground white rice, peas, powdered cellulose (source of fiber), potato protein, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), natural flavor, flaxseed, sodium bisulfate, fish meal, potassium chloride, choline chloride, DL-methionine, taurine, dried chicory root, L-Carnitine, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Bifidobacterium animalis fermentation product, zinc proteinate, vitamin E supplement, niacin, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, zinc sulfate, manganese sulfate, copper sulfate, thiamine mononitrate, vitamin A supplement, biotin, potassium iodide, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, manganous oxide, sodium selenite, vitamin D supplement, folic acid

Or if you want to spend a lot more money- go with Fromm, it's excellent !
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
2217 posts
706 upvotes
Beautiful B.C.
Cats really don't need grains in their diet, as others here have mentioned. This cat food is premium for sure: http://www.wellnesspetfood.com/cat-wellness.aspx BUT if you sign up for their newsletter, you get a coupon around once per month. Currently the coupon for wet food is buy four get two free. You also get $5 off on the dry food. We print more than one coupon and stock up. This isn't the cheapest food I admit, but the wet food coupon brings the cost for a 354g can down from about $3.60 to about $2.30. Or something similar. Keep in mind also that cats will eat less with grain free foods. That's what I was told and that's my experience as well. The grain is like a cat version of Chinese food -- they're hungry an hour later. So even though though it costs more on paper, it's not necessarily more expensive based on how long it lasts. As a dry food, we do feed that a bit and we use Acana, which is grain free also: https://acana.com/our-foods/cat-foods/ It's not the cheapest dry food, but these people are *extremely* generous with coupons and free samples. I even got coupons a few times for free bags.
"You tell everybody. Listen to me, Hatcher. You've gotta tell them! Beyond Meat is people! We've gotta stop them somehow!"
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
2986 posts
454 upvotes
Definitely feed less if using grain free food - particularly if it is a rich food such as Fromm. Otherwise your cat will gain weight if everything else remains the same - as did our dog when he was fed the same amount of Fromm Grain Free as he was the Fromm Four Star. Thankfully our dog has now lost the 5 lbs. he gained (not all of it was from the grain free food, but at least half of it was).