• Jan 25th, 2019 11:42 pm
Dec 24, 2004
179 posts
72 upvotes
Saint Hubert
is.legaspi20 wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 10:15 pm
I was plotting this for the last 9 years. It's been a slow build up. : D

I hope so as well. But here's whats odd.

The person I initially spoke with who told me they'd get back to me as soon as they hear something informed me they can pull the GPS data from the truck as it's showing up as "blank." And I find that really hard to believe. Second, I've ordered from Dell numerous times. and this has NOT happened once before. There are no other streets with my address in this city or somewhat resemble my address. I've asked my neighbours whom I'm really close with and none of them received a door knock during the time I received my notification.

I honestly don't quite know what to do at this point. I'm just hoping they would A.) Find my package unopened and sent to me B.) Give me a new one if they can't find it or if they found it opened at the wrong address.

Do I file a claim at this point? I don't even know.
Meticulous planning is key to a plot!

If I was in your shoes, and it's what I did with my similar case, would be to persistently call them back (Dell & Purolator) looking for updates to the situation. Very likely, you will get the same response back but keep at it.

I would also add that as frustrating as the situation is, always be polite and courteous. Yelling and screaming will get you nowhere, and the person on the other end is really only doing the most that they can with the info / tools that they have at their disposal. They are also more likely to try to find someone and go the extra mile for you, perhaps their manager / supervisor, who can then help further, rather than dismissing the call stating someone will get back to you.
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2003
2028 posts
149 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
peli33 wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 9:22 pm
OP, how do you know it was the driver who signed for it?
I once had a $400 package which I paid for signature on delivery. I wanted to be cautious, since it was such an expensive package, and if no one was home, I didn't want it left at the door.

It was just left at my door with a fake signature =(
Dec 18, 2017
519 posts
217 upvotes
London, On
BiegeToyota wrote:
Signature requires ID. If it was signature confirmation Purolator would not be allowed to leave it with "neighbours". It's the same like when you to to the PO to pick up your parcel. Try to send your neighbour.
You do not need to produce ID to sign for a package at your door, only if you go to a location to pick it up. Canada Post, Purolator, UPS, all the same. Exception might be pot shipments, which require adult signatures, and the driver may ask for ID in that case
Dec 18, 2017
519 posts
217 upvotes
London, On
is.legaspi20 wrote:
I was plotting this for the last 9 years. It's been a slow build up. : D

I hope so as well. But here's whats odd.

The person I initially spoke with who told me they'd get back to me as soon as they hear something informed me they can pull the GPS data from the truck as it's showing up as "blank." And I find that really hard to believe. Second, I've ordered from Dell numerous times. and this has NOT happened once before. There are no other streets with my address in this city or somewhat resemble my address. I've asked my neighbours whom I'm really close with and none of them received a door knock during the time I received my notification.

I honestly don't quite know what to do at this point. I'm just hoping they would A.) Find my package unopened and sent to me B.) Give me a new one if they can't find it or if they found it opened at the wrong address.

Do I file a claim at this point? I don't even know.

The GPS could be blank if it was a driver in a rental truck, or it was an independent courier company acting as an agent for Purolator, delivering your package. And if it was an agent, they probably wouldn't be aware of Purolator policy on what can be left and what can't.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4150 posts
519 upvotes
i've had shitty experience with Purolator (but not forging signatures shitty)
i've also had Purolator drivers that went out of their way to ensure I got my high-priced items

i'm gonna go ahead and says it's extremely unlikely for BOTH forged signature AND theft to happen within minutes

only scenarios I can think of: it was the last day of work for the driver and is completely changing fields
or
your neighbour hates your guts and accepted delivery on a wrong address without handing it to the rightful owner (seriously doubt it)
or
there's something you're not telling us
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
9945 posts
7232 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
djeffery wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 12:40 am
You do not need to produce ID to sign for a package at your door, only if you go to a location to pick it up. Canada Post, Purolator, UPS, all the same. Exception might be pot shipments, which require adult signatures, and the driver may ask for ID in that case
This

In therein lies part of the problem.

Anyone can sign for any pkg... great if the pkg gets delivered to the RIGHT house and a spouse signs

Not so great if the pkg gets delivered to the WRONG house ... and the stranger who answers the door signs

It’s nice to have home delivery as an option... IF YOU ARE HOME

Not so great when you are not. IMO all these Courier pkgs should just be going to a Neighbourhood Depot / Drop Point where you go and pick it up by showing ID & signing for it... same way that Canada Post functions for Registered Mail or oversized pkgs

Lol, and side benefit. Canada is a country of extreme weather... I don’t want my stuff left on a truck for hours on end, or sitting on my doorstep during -30 C or +30 C weather, or rain, or snow, or freezing rain.

Just deposit it somewhere local, in a temperature controlled building, and send me an email that it’s ready for pick up, 7 days a week, with nice long convenient hours.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
12120 posts
1807 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Sucks for peeps who not have a vestibule. For those peeps, choose an alternative courier like UPS. You can change shipping address within 24 hrs after a package has shipped with tracking and it will be redirected to either an alternative address or the nearest UPS store. You can do all this online via your UPS account. I have it noted such that if the shipment is not successful first try... automatically deliver the package to the nearest UPS store. The store closes at 7pm. I give them a ring when I get home and ta-dahhhh... it's there. Tons of peeps do this. Every time I get to the store there's tons of packages waiting for pick-up. I'm sure other couriers have similar outlets and service.
Last edited by aznnorth on Jan 11th, 2019 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4150 posts
519 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 2:58 am
I don’t want my stuff left on a truck for hours on end, or sitting on my doorstep during -30 C or +30 C weather, or rain, or snow, or freezing rain.

Just deposit it somewhere local, in a temperature controlled building
what are you transporting? livestock? does your porch not have any cover?

how do you think people live in Vegas when it hits like 110F? Amazon doesn't seize to exist there in the summer.
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

[OP]
Dec 25, 2009
18 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto
twitchyzero wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 1:16 am
i've had shitty experience with Purolator (but not forging signatures shitty)
i've also had Purolator drivers that went out of their way to ensure I got my high-priced items

i'm gonna go ahead and says it's extremely unlikely for BOTH forged signature AND theft to happen within minutes

only scenarios I can think of: it was the last day of work for the driver and is completely changing fields
or
your neighbour hates your guts and accepted delivery on a wrong address without handing it to the rightful owner (seriously doubt it)
or
there's something you're not telling us

My receiving notification of the "received" parcel might have been a late notification through their system or my app. BUT from what happened, I was notified, checked, no laptop, called. That was the sequence which was then followed up by waiting and them showing me a fake/forged signature. I want to reiterate that, I'm extremely cool with my neighbours on my side of my street - I've received packages for them when they were on vacation and tended to their house in the past and vice verse. No guts can be hated to be quite honest. The other houses in this area are filled with seniors who are actually quite lovely. But I've asked, and no one seems to have my package.

Again, I've purchased a lot from Dell and they always use purolator. So I've received and picked up multiple packages without ever missing one. I've had shitty experience of no knocks when I was home waiting but I'd rather have them do that than lose a damn laptop.

And I have nothing to gain from withholding information on this site. I was here to vent frustration and hope that someone can come up with a solution since I have always seen RFD with people who have solutions for damn near anything and everything.
[OP]
Dec 25, 2009
18 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto
aviador wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 9:24 pm
I agree. Or at least they should be allowed taking a picture of the person signing the delivery. That should discourage full-time scammers and opportunistic thieves.

That's a light bulb idea you got there. You should let them know, it makes things easier for all of us expecting deliveries.
[OP]
Dec 25, 2009
18 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto
PointsHubby wrote:
This

In therein lies part of the problem.

Anyone can sign for any pkg... great if the pkg gets delivered to the RIGHT house and a spouse signs

Not so great if the pkg gets delivered to the WRONG house ... and the stranger who answers the door signs

It’s nice to have home delivery as an option... IF YOU ARE HOME

Not so great when you are not. IMO all these Courier pkgs should just be going to a Neighbourhood Depot / Drop Point where you go and pick it up by showing ID & signing for it... same way that Canada Post functions for Registered Mail or oversized pkgs

Lol, and side benefit. Canada is a country of extreme weather... I don’t want my stuff left on a truck for hours on end, or sitting on my doorstep during -30 C or +30 C weather, or rain, or snow, or freezing rain.

Just deposit it somewhere local, in a temperature controlled building, and send me an email that it’s ready for pick up, 7 days a week, with nice long convenient hours.

Even if you are home sometimes they don't really show up and just stick a note for pick up at your door. Still a lot better than whatever this situation is.
[OP]
Dec 25, 2009
18 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto
aznnorth wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 3:57 am
Sucks for peeps who not have a vestibule. For those peeps, choose an alternative courier like UPS. You can change shipping address within 24 hrs after a package has shipped in the tracking and it will be redirected to either an alternative address or the nearest UPS store. You can do all this online via your UPS account. I have it noted such that if the shipment is not successful first try... automatically deliver the package to the nearest UPS store. The store closes at 7pm. I give them a ring when I get home and ta-dahhhh... it's there. Tons of peeps do this. Every time I get to the store there's tons of packages waiting for pick-up. I'm sure other couriers have similar outlets and service.
But Dell doesnt deliver with UPS though. They use Purolator.

You can still redirect? :S
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2009
3882 posts
2225 upvotes
I feel sorry for the OP. Another purolator horror story, another cut copy and paste from purolatorhelps. Please keep on drinking the purolator kool aid. Now the op has to waste his time and be stressed out over the fine service purolator provided.

Friends dont let other friends deal with purolator !!!
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
18642 posts
17654 upvotes
Toronto
sometimes we have a super lazy UPS driver here at office. he'll open the office door, dump package, and then delivery notice says 'signed for by lady customer' when nobody here has signed for it. unbelievable
Not only did we embarrass Marky Mark, we let down the Funky Bunch.
Dec 18, 2017
519 posts
217 upvotes
London, On
PointsHubby wrote:

This would absolutely not work. You might be happy not getting home delivery. For each of you, hundreds of other people would say "If I have to go out somewhere to get my stuff, I might as well just go to the store myself and buy it". Not to mention the volumes being talked about would blow away the space a Shoppers Drug Mart post office would have. You would need locations the size of a SDM store itself. Not even remotely cost effective, especially at the revenue that "free shipping" generates.