Purolator driver SIGNED and LEFT my LAPTOP on my doorstep and NOW ITS MISSING

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 15th, 2019 7:29 pm
Jan 24, 2018
216 posts
41 upvotes
is.legaspi20 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 8:54 am
My receiving notification of the "received" parcel might have been a late notification through their system or my app. BUT from what happened, I was notified, checked, no laptop, called. That was the sequence which was then followed up by waiting and them showing me a fake/forged signature. I want to reiterate that, I'm extremely cool with my neighbours on my side of my street - I've received packages for them when they were on vacation and tended to their house in the past and vice verse. No guts can be hated to be quite honest. The other houses in this area are filled with seniors who are actually quite lovely. But I've asked, and no one seems to have my package.

Again, I've purchased a lot from Dell and they always use purolator. So I've received and picked up multiple packages without ever missing one. I've had shitty experience of no knocks when I was home waiting but I'd rather have them do that than lose a damn laptop.

And I have nothing to gain from withholding information on this site. I was here to vent frustration and hope that someone can come up with a solution since I have always seen RFD with people who have solutions for damn near anything and everything.

OP, first of all stop responding to the kids on this thread claiming that you are "lying" and that you're "making this up", just report their post as a personal attack or trolling and move on with your thread. You responding to them gives them exactly what they want

second, this happens much more than ppl like to think. however, there is hope. you will almost certainly be covered by the seller if they were a corporate company like dell, foot locker, etc. and also, if it was sold by an independent person but through corporate like amazon, ebay, etc. you will also be covered.

seller as someone else stated in this thread, is responsible for the parcel getting to you. sometimes purolator, ups, etc. will cover it to maintain shipping rights with the company.

my advice to you is if u have not done so already, go file a police report. that piece of paper they give u with a file number will come in handy. also, if u live in a rented place get a signed letter from ur landlord stating the theft.

lastly, u need to clam down. stop being so worried. u will 100% be covered. the package was stolen and its not ur problem, period. the fake signature just adds on top. this could have been any1. it could have even been the driver calling a buddy of his on his cell about expensive shipments he notices, and telling his buddy to stand at the front door of the delivery address. theres hundreds of methods here. but heres the thing u can rely on, u dont gotta worry cus u'll be covered.

U, the buyer, ordered an item, paid for that item, and that item was not received for you. that is where this discussion ends. not ur problem. its their problem to reimburse u.

pls keep us updated
[OP]
Dec 25, 2009
16 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto
jimmysack wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 10:22 am
OP, first of all stop responding to the kids on this thread claiming that you are "lying" and that you're "making this up", just report their post as a personal attack or trolling and move on with your thread. You responding to them gives them exactly what they want

second, this happens much more than ppl like to think. however, there is hope. you will almost certainly be covered by the seller if they were a corporate company like dell, foot locker, etc. and also, if it was sold by an independent person but through corporate like amazon, ebay, etc. you will also be covered.

seller as someone else stated in this thread, is responsible for the parcel getting to you. sometimes purolator, ups, etc. will cover it to maintain shipping rights with the company.

my advice to you is if u have not done so already, go file a police report. that piece of paper they give u with a file number will come in handy. also, if u live in a rented place get a signed letter from ur landlord stating the theft.

lastly, u need to clam down. stop being so worried. u will 100% be covered. the package was stolen and its not ur problem, period. the fake signature just adds on top. this could have been any1. it could have even been the driver calling a buddy of his on his cell about expensive shipments he notices, and telling his buddy to stand at the front door of the delivery address. theres hundreds of methods here. but heres the thing u can rely on, u dont gotta worry cus u'll be covered.

U, the buyer, ordered an item, paid for that item, and that item was not received for you. that is where this discussion ends. not ur problem. its their problem to reimburse u.

pls keep us updated

Thanks!

Will def keep you guys posted.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
4626 posts
575 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
jimmysack wrote:
What does the landlord have to do with anything? Why would he/she sign a letter stating the theft? The landlord can't confirm that - that comment makes absolutely no sense to me.
It's also questionable that the police would consider this a "legitimate theft" - the OP never physically had the product for it to be stolen - insurance companies would classify this as "mysterious disappearance"
As to the signature - I find that a problem in general with these handheld tablets or devices where one signs on the screen.
For one, my signature on the screen doesn't even remotely resemble my real signature - it just doesn't come out right and of course none of the delivery people care.
The other issue is that once your signature, even if it is legible and correct, can now just be copied anywhere - to me a signature on such a device is totally useless - doesn't mean anything.

But I agree, leave the resolution of this issue with Dell - it's their and Purolator's problem - not yours.
Feb 22, 2006
424 posts
5 upvotes
Dell for me has always been a hassle with this sort of stuff and in the end I always ended up doing a chargeback when I got the run around. Hope it works out for you and LOL at some the comments in this thread.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2016
1597 posts
294 upvotes
Ontario
Police won't care its theft under $5000. Purolator will have to deal with this as somebody stole it. Its most likely somebody you know or lives near. Just keep on them as it will probably take months.
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2016
2485 posts
1887 upvotes
jimmysack wrote:

I find this to be a very bad advice.

Yes, the customer will always win and will get reimbursed. If you don't plan on ordering from Dell ever again, this is perhaps the solution. However, they do keep track of "problem" buyers, especially the ones who return big ticket items and claim lost packages. I completely understand that the buyer is actually not a problem buyer, but the fact is dell lost a big ticket item. There will be a note about this incident. If you ever have another problem with Dell, I am pretty sure they will blacklist your account. Amazon - the most "customercentric" website in the world does this on a regular basis.

It is in your interest to have this sorted out with purolator and then contact Dell.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
11430 posts
1481 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
OP mos def needs one of these gadgets. Developed by a former NASA engineer (no joke - even tho he looks like a college kid).
Bait package to deter thieves from stealing off your front porch. Lolz.

If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
10094 posts
1896 upvotes
Montréal
LOL at the typical skeptics here. Anyway, I'd take the path of least resistance, if if doesn't get sorted at the seller or courier lvl asap, it's gonna be a cc chargeback. No time to deal w this shady crap. That's why I have a UPS PO box, it's simply awesome.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Jan 24, 2018
216 posts
41 upvotes
BiegeToyota wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 9:37 pm

Yes, the customer will always win and will get reimbursed. If you don't plan on ordering from Dell ever again, this is perhaps the solution. However, they do keep track of "problem" buyers, especially the ones who return big ticket items and claim lost packages. I completely understand that the buyer is actually not a problem buyer, but the fact is dell lost a big ticket item. There will be a note about this incident. If you ever have another problem with Dell, I am pretty sure they will blacklist your account. Amazon - the most "customercentric" website in the world does this on a regular basis.

It is in your interest to have this sorted out with purolator and then contact Dell.
someone stealing a package is not considered theft? are you and me on the same planet (earth) ? of course its theft.

and to krs who is a special character who is able to be in two provinces at once.. the whole purpose here is for OP to get some stuff on paper. Hearsay is not gonna get him anywhere. will the landlord letter be a game breaker? probably not, but it does show that the OP has documented evidence that an item was stolen. the whole point here is to get evidence on paper
Jan 24, 2018
216 posts
41 upvotes
tranquility922 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 11:57 pm
LOL at the typical skeptics here. Anyway, I'd take the path of least resistance, if if doesn't get sorted at the seller or courier lvl asap, it's gonna be a cc chargeback. No time to deal w this shady crap. That's why I have a UPS PO box, it's simply awesome.
theres lots of kids on this site. they accused me of lying about many threads of i've made as well. po box is good. but lots of ppl would be against the extra trip
Jan 24, 2018
216 posts
41 upvotes
BiegeToyota wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 9:37 pm

thats why he needs more in writing evidence. a police report goes pretty far. many ppl will be too scaredy cat to file a fake police report. so most companies accept that
Nov 12, 2012
369 posts
132 upvotes
Port Moody
This is the second report of laptop theft/misdelivery this month...eek

Anyway, as others have mentioned, contacting Dell to inform them, and contacting Purolator to try to track down the package are good first steps. It may take several days for Purolator to find out what happened (maybe the driver had to return the package to the depot; maybe it was misdelivered), but this needs to happen first. If Purolator indeed confirms it was delivered, and you don't have it in your hands, get that in writing, inform Dell, and then tell them you want a refund or have it re-sent (and delivered to a postal outlet for signature and ID confirmation). If they cannot do either, then you contact your CC company for the chargeback, and DELL files an insurance claim for a lost/misdelivered package (or deals with internal theft themselves).

It's a massive inconvenience and PITA when something like this happens, but rest assured, you'll not be out your 2 grand...
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
4626 posts
575 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
jimmysack wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 2:57 pm
someone stealing a package is not considered theft? are you and me on the same planet (earth) ? of course its theft.

and to krs who is a special character who is able to be in two provinces at once.. the whole purpose here is for OP to get some stuff on paper. Hearsay is not gonna get him anywhere. will the landlord letter be a game breaker? probably not, but it does show that the OP has documented evidence that an item was stolen. the whole point here is to get evidence on paper
Boy, did somebody piss into your cornflakes this morning?

You are off in left field with your comments.
To start with, how do you know the package was stolen? It's not that the OP or anyone else saw it at their doorstep and then it disappeard - it could have been delivered somewhere else or even still be on the truck.
Theft, to me at least, means one has the item in the first place which is not the case here. That's why people in this thread are saying it's really between Dell and Purolator, if the OP actually had the item and it was then stolen, which is what you are suggesting with no facts, then Dell could just wash it's hands of all this and so could Purolator.

And the comment about a "landlord's letter" makes absolutely no sense either. The landlord was not involved, what do you expect the lettr so say - that OP has been a good tenant and please replace the laptop.

And as to being in two provinces, that's right, I'm in both Ontario and Quebec back and forth or I wouldn't have added that in my location, never said anything about being in both at the same time.
But that is really irrelevant.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
4626 posts
575 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
pokee99 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 3:49 pm
This is the second report of laptop theft/misdelivery this month...eek

Anyway, as others have mentioned, contacting Dell to inform them, and contacting Purolator to try to track down the package are good first steps. It may take several days for Purolator to find out what happened (maybe the driver had to return the package to the depot; maybe it was misdelivered), but this needs to happen first. If Purolator indeed confirms it was delivered, and you don't have it in your hands, get that in writing, inform Dell, and then tell them you want a refund or have it re-sent (and delivered to a postal outlet for signature and ID confirmation). If they cannot do either, then you contact your CC company for the chargeback, and DELL files an insurance claim for a lost/misdelivered package (or deals with internal theft themselves).

It's a massive inconvenience and PITA when something like this happens, but rest assured, you'll not be out your 2 grand...
There you go jimmysack....that makes sense and is the proper way to resolve this.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
4626 posts
575 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
Maybe part of the problem with suggestions by various RFDers is that the title of the thread is very misleading:
Purolator driver SIGNED and LEFT my LAPTOP on my doorstep and NOW ITS MISSING

We don't know that the Purolator driver actually signed and we also don't know if the laptop was actually left on the OP's doorstep.

Going back to the original post:
Here's what happened.

I was home all day on Monday expecting a laptop to come in as was my dad. I had to leave to pick something up across the street and received a notification stating
how it was received and signed. I immediately called my dad to ask if he had received anything and signed for a package. He had NOT. I immediately called Purolator to
figure out what on earth is happening and no one seems to know why and its been 4 days now and they have not figured out where the driver went via GPS. They did send me an email
to confirm the signature and insisted that one of us signed it. I viewed the signature and NO ONE in this household signs like that.

I would be interested in a better sense of the time frame.

This sound as if OP went across the street to pick something up and while he was there he received the Purolator notification of delivery.
How long was he gone, sounds to me like this was only a few minutes, but he only went across the street.
So did he see the Purolator truck at his house?
When we get any courier deliveries, the truck pulls up, the driver checks his paper, the address then the parcel. Then walks up the drive and rings the bell.
Then he waits while we answer, receive the package and sign for it.
All that doesn't happen in an instant.
If the OP didn't even see the Purolator truck while just picking something up across the street, seems to me the package was delivered somewhere else by mistake, not at the neighbours where the checked already, but somewhere totally different. It wouldn't make any sense for Purolator to deliver the laptop to a neighbour if the OP's dad was home to receive the package.
Last edited by krs on Jan 12th, 2019 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)