• Jan 25th, 2019 11:42 pm
[OP]
Dec 25, 2009
18 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto
krs wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 4:04 pm
Maybe part of the problem with suggestions by various RFDers is that the title of the thread is very misleading:
Purolator driver SIGNED and LEFT my LAPTOP on my doorstep and NOW ITS MISSING

We don't know that the Purolator driver actually signed and we also don't know if the laptop was actually left on the OP's doorstep.

I would def agree that the title is a bit off. I just didnt know how to articulate the words properly. I wanted to make sure I get enough people talking here and get their advice.
Banned
Jan 24, 2018
302 posts
62 upvotes
krs wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 3:54 pm
Boy, did somebody piss into your cornflakes this morning?

You are off in left field with your comments.
To start with, how do you know the package was stolen? It's not that the OP or anyone else saw it at their doorstep and then it disappeard - it could have been delivered somewhere else or even still be on the truck.
Theft, to me at least, means one has the item in the first place which is not the case here. That's why people in this thread are saying it's really between Dell and Purolator, if the OP actually had the item and it was then stolen, which is what you are suggesting with no facts, then Dell could just wash it's hands of all this and so could Purolator.

And the comment about a "landlord's letter" makes absolutely no sense either. The landlord was not involved, what do you expect the lettr so say - that OP has been a good tenant and please replace the laptop.

And as to being in two provinces, that's right, I'm in both Ontario and Quebec back and forth or I wouldn't have added that in my location, never said anything about being in both at the same time.
But that is really irrelevant.
Are you the guy who claimed you were traveling from quebec to ontario every morning in an hour? The letter from the laptop would say
"tenant Billy etc. reported that someone stole his parcel package that was supposed to be delivered by ____ shipping company. this theft occured on ____ and i, the landlord was informed on ____ by tenant Mr. _______. "

It is theft. his thing says it was delivered. Someone committed fraud on the ddocument as well, which is utter forged document. so its not just theft, but also fraud. op does not have the package he paid for so it obviously is theft. not sure why this is so difficult for you to understand mr. krs, are you related to krs the rapper?
Last edited by jimmysack on Jan 12th, 2019 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Banned
Jan 24, 2018
302 posts
62 upvotes
krs wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 4:04 pm
Maybe part of the problem with suggestions by various RFDers is that the title of the thread is very misleading:
Purolator driver SIGNED and LEFT my LAPTOP on my doorstep and NOW ITS MISSING

We don't know that the Purolator driver actually signed and we also don't know if the laptop was actually left on the OP's doorstep.

Going back to the original post:

I would be interested in a better sense of the time frame.

This sound as if OP went across the street to pick something up and while he was there he received the Purolator notification of delivery.
How long was he gone, sounds to me like this was only a few minutes, but he only went across the street.
So did he see the Purolator truck at his house?
When we get any courier deliveries, the truck pulls up, the driver checks his paper, the address then the parcel. Then walks up the drive and rings the bell.
Then he waits while we answer, receive the package and sign for it.
All that doesn't happen in an instant.
If the OP didn't even see the Purolator truck while just picking something up across the street, seems to me the package was delivered somewhere else by mistake, not at the neighbours where the checked already, but somewhere totally different. It wouldn't make any sense for Purolator to deliver the laptop to a neighbour if the OP's dad was home to receive the package.
op himself and his title confused me. not sure why you are nit picking and arguing over nothing. for a guy who supposedly lives in ontario and quebec at the same time im not sure why you are arguing with me
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
12360 posts
2892 upvotes
RFD
Canpar driver did the same exact thing. Forged signature (rewrote name in a scribble) to leave Airmiles redemption package on door step. I have a Wyze Cam and know who driver is. The package in this case is a few hundred dollars, no harm was done because I got the notification and got someone to pick up the package right away. Will avoid Canpar if I can, though any courier can end up doing this. Some drivers are slime for forging signatures.
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
12360 posts
2892 upvotes
RFD
EEE2 wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 8:41 pm
It's hard to believe this story as real. The op is got 4 posts on rfd. Showed up out of no where. I know Purolator can screw you. But there's no way a package that was left at someone door would dissappear in minutes. And also drivers would not fake someone signature.
Oh really? It happened to me personally. Some drivers/people are slime. And I've been on RFD since 2004 if you don't think it can happen.
Last edited by radeonboy on Jan 12th, 2019 4:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
1957 posts
979 upvotes
MP3_SKY wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 6:35 pm
From where you purchase the laptop? Just have them deal with it. They are the sender. Call them and explain the issue, they will talk to the courier.
This.

I've had my packages stolen twice and each time I went to the merchant and they refunded me the money ASAP. Most merchant I use go with Canada Post so I got flex delivery to avoid this problem but it sucks I can't use that address when other couriers ...it would be so much smarter if they took the package back to the depot but that's more work for them so they just leave it on the doorstep...the drivers should lose money from their pay cheque each time that happens.
Jul 11, 2018
67 posts
49 upvotes
Forgery is an offence under sections 366, 367 and 368 of the Canadian Criminal Code. The offence is a hybrid offence, subject to a maximum prison sentence of:

if tried summarily: 6 months
if tried on indictment: 10 years

Maybe your credit card has the thief/stolen insurance and that would help to reduce the “friendly fire” on the seller.
Last edited by Kojima on Jan 12th, 2019 4:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2017
1465 posts
1070 upvotes
Toronto
Just maybe this post is about.. 'hmmm I'm thinking of a scam but let see what RFD has to say'

If it was me, within minutes of the package being declared 'delivered' I would have contacted Dell, Purolator and file a police report if possible. Also call credit card company and let them know what just took place. If there was no resolution by the end of next business day, I would then do a chargeback.

Preventative measures and timing (tracking) is everything, especially when you are expecting an expensive package to be delivered.
Jul 13, 2016
533 posts
300 upvotes
BiegeToyota wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 6:47 pm
Why should a merchant be punished?
The merchant will not be punished. He is ultimately in charge of insuring his shipments and is the only one in position to demand a refund from that insurance.
BiegeToyota wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 6:47 pm
BTW, it would be extremely hard to win this chargeback as the item was signed for. He needs to go after Purolator and sue them in court for faking a signature.
Not as hard as it may seem. It may take a few going back and forth. But ultimately, with a copy of a police report saying that your signature was forged, you will win.
Jul 13, 2016
533 posts
300 upvotes
Kojima wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 4:30 pm
Maybe your credit card has the thief/stolen insurance and that would help to reduce the “friendly fire” on the seller.
No the seller is responsible until you actually receive the product in hands. Credit card insurance will deny the claim, and at that point it might be too late for a chargeback.

Items stolen from the porch are the seller's issue (he is responsible to claim from the carrier he paid).
Jul 13, 2016
533 posts
300 upvotes
BiegeToyota wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 10:15 pm
Signature requires ID. If it was signature confirmation Purolator would not be allowed to leave it with "neighbours". It's the same like when you to to the PO to pick up your parcel. Try to send your neighbour.
Signature doesn't require ID when delivered in person at the address.
Jul 13, 2016
533 posts
300 upvotes
pootza wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 9:16 pm
The OP could just sign it differently than usual and deny it's their signature. They should be made to wear body cams.
Maybe one day they will. But for now it's just a numbers game for carriers/insurance providers. Most people are law-abiding citizens.
Dec 18, 2017
517 posts
217 upvotes
London, On
jimmysack wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 4:22 pm
Are you the guy who claimed you were traveling from quebec to ontario every morning in an hour? The letter from the laptop would say
"tenant Billy etc. reported that someone stole his parcel package that was supposed to be delivered by ____ shipping company. this theft occured on ____ and i, the landlord was informed on ____ by tenant Mr. _______. "

What does this do though? I fail to see what a letter from your landlord like that would do in any kind of missing package, or even theft, case. It certainly isn't any kind of evidence that anything actually happened.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
10304 posts
2594 upvotes
Markham
hierophant wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 4:27 pm
This.

I've had my packages stolen twice and each time I went to the merchant and they refunded me the money ASAP. Most merchant I use go with Canada Post so I got flex delivery to avoid this problem but it sucks I can't use that address when other couriers ...it would be so much smarter if they took the package back to the depot but that's more work for them so they just leave it on the doorstep...the drivers should lose money from their pay cheque each time that happens.
Lose money only?

I think this is a discipline issue.
They are intentionally not doing the job right and cause company lose money to refund the shipping to sender and operation cost to have extra staff to resolve it.

Should be a warning, and dismissal if reoccured multiple times.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Aug 5, 2005
368 posts
198 upvotes
All deliveries companies should be responsible if they don't get a photo & signature for any items, that would solve these problems
If they thumb you down I will up it just because