Shopping Discussion

Purolator driver SIGNED and LEFT my LAPTOP on my doorstep and NOW ITS MISSING

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 25th, 2019 11:42 pm
Jul 10, 2003
600 posts
315 upvotes
Toronto
Happened to me with a UPS delivery from Burberry. All Burberry deliveries require a signature and with detailed tracking, I thought it wouldn't be possible to lose the package. The delivery date comes and the tracking detail updates to "Delivery Complete" with the note "Left at front door". I search all over and I don't see anything.

Calling Burberry has them open an incident with UPS which takes 14 days to investigate. No money returned and no replacement order sent... It doesn't matter that UPS didn't get a signature even though it was required. A week later I get a call from an unknown caller, they have my package. They live three streets over with the same house number. I ask Burberry/UPS what to do and they tell me to get it myself... Which I do.

The unknown neighbor called me because my number was on the packing slip. Asking them why they waited a week, they told me that they would have kept it if nobody came but they knew someone would be looking for it considering the package value on the packing slip.

Learned my lesson...
Bad on Burberry for not doing anything to help - "You need the order for a gift? You need to pay for a new order while UPS investigates."
Bad on UPS for not caring - "Package found. Incident closed."

Long story short - OP, your package could be in your neighbourhood but not on your street. It could have been signed for by a house three streets over. Nobody will care until the investigation is over and you might need to do a chargeback. Best case scenario, Purolator finds your laptop but if they can't find anything, then you might be in limbo between Dell and Purolator.
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
12832 posts
1639 upvotes
Toronto
Purolato sucks

I still didn’t receive my product lol.
Images
  • FC868B2E-0834-4FCD-8E6D-6D3256C54295.png
[OP]
Dec 25, 2009
18 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto
Quick Update:

Purolator case manager(s) closed the case with the following notes:
GPS tracking information could not be found .
Purolator had reached out to the driver who "could not remember" the package or delivery.
Purolator and driver were able to speak after several days of trying to get connected.
Purolator will not provide assistance as a signature was obtained *despite the signature not being mine*
Purolator decided to trust and back the driver's "i dont know/i dont remember that delivery/shipment" instead of working with me and my word.
Dell reached out and will reissue me a replacement (thank god), however - I have yet to receive a case number. The process hasn't been started as well. I was informed I have to "wait." No explanation was given.
I reach out to Dell again for the replacement process to be started after a day of not receiving anything. I was told no such process has been started or no case was opened, and to "wait."

Still no laptop.
Aug 5, 2005
369 posts
198 upvotes
This is a simple solution sue Purolator or make Dell better yet take the responsibility .... People, we should stop using Purolator. I know if a package is being shipped by them I tell the manufacturer I will not buy from them because of them using Purolator.
If they thumb you down I will up it just because
Deal Fanatic
Jul 24, 2009
5197 posts
5745 upvotes
Honestly, the signature is becoming very inappropriate nowadays as there is no proof the recipient actually received the package. In order to ensure the recipient receives the product in case signature is required, the courier needs to use the QR code associated with the order. If it is apartment concierge signs the product, then they need to use a qualified unique QR code. The driver has to scan a specific qualified QR code from the recipient in order to confirm the package is delivered. The QR code can be passed to other people if the order owner wants someone to receive the product.
is.legaspi20 wrote:
Jan 18th, 2019 3:38 pm
Quick Update:

Purolator had reached out to the driver who "could not remember" the package or delivery.
Purolator and driver were able to speak after several days of trying to get connected.
Purolator will not provide assistance as a signature was obtained *despite the signature not being mine*
Purolator decided to trust and back the driver's "i dont know/i dont remember that delivery/shipment" instead of working with me and my word.
Dell reached out and will reissue me a replacement (thank god), however - I have yet to receive a case number. The process hasn't been started as well. I was informed I have to "wait." No explanation was given.
I reach out to Dell again for the replacement process to be started after a day of not receiving anything. I was told no such process has been started or no case was opened, and to "wait."

Still no laptop.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
8092 posts
2082 upvotes
Mississauga
Can you not file a dispute with your credit card company?
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
9749 posts
6137 upvotes
Edmonton
is.legaspi20 wrote:
Jan 18th, 2019 3:38 pm
Quick Update:

Still no laptop.
Now watch... they’ll ship the next one out via Purolator as well... And the next thread will be “I just got my new laptop, and it smells like urine”. :)

Hopefully Dell has a Plan B when it comes to shipping, but I think all my stuff from them has been via Purolator.

C
Sep 11, 2012
134 posts
35 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
Not sure why so many have suggested to ask the credit card company for a chargeback. The purchase was not fraudulent so they won't lift a finger.
Jan 21, 2017
696 posts
189 upvotes
superfresh89 wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 6:55 pm
That's just false.

The merchant is always 100% responsible for making sure the item is received by the buyer. Purolator shouldn't even be dealing with the OP at all.

Chargeback and be done with it.
It's true. I bought something from Microsoft . FedEx misdelivered it. Microsoft refunded me the money.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
4836 posts
4006 upvotes
m77m77 wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2019 9:03 pm
Not sure why so many have suggested to ask the credit card company for a chargeback. The purchase was not fraudulent so they won't lift a finger.
They certainly will and they have done it many times before. It doesn't have to be fraudulent to initiate a chargeback.
Aug 5, 2005
369 posts
198 upvotes
@ is.legaspi20 It has been a few days now and I hope you finally did get your laptop, any new updated you can let us know?
If they thumb you down I will up it just because
Aug 24, 2006
688 posts
264 upvotes
BiegeToyota wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 10:15 pm
Signature requires ID. If it was signature confirmation Purolator would not be allowed to leave it with "neighbours". It's the same like when you to to the PO to pick up your parcel. Try to send your neighbour.
none of the shipping companys require id at the door (sig required or not). obvious though always id if you have to go pick it up .. (usually... yes ive had some not bother fedex, canada post)

only exception i can think of is the special canada post ones (for some cc activation) however ive never seen any of thouse be delivered always pickup in store but may be different by region ...

as for the op. You just need to wait a bit, big companys take there time,
gps data will show were it was delivered, if it was delivered anywhere but your house then will be solved pretty easily...
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2016
2978 posts
2368 upvotes
bryceton wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2019 6:29 pm
none of the shipping companys require id at the door
Yes. I completely forgot how things work in Canada.

What's the point of signature then? It protects no one.

My point with credit card chargebacks still stands, tho. It is better to resolve it through a company you order from or even better a shipper than go straight with chargeback. Even if you win a chargeback it will most likely cause account closure. Perfect example is Paypal and Amazon.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
5307 posts
815 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
bryceton wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2019 6:29 pm
none of the shipping companys require id at the door (sig required or not).
True enough ...... and with the signature now on the screen and then digitized, the signature really becomes meaningless - the courier can just use the signature from the previous delivery.

Sometimes, if the package is not for you but someone else in the household, they ask you to spell your name which they type in - but that's it!
gps data will show were it was delivered, if it was delivered anywhere but your house then will be solved pretty easily...
That was already covered in an earlier post - no gps data available.
[OP]
Dec 25, 2009
18 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto
UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE

Dell expedited the entire process and kept me in the loop all the way through. They sent out the replacement laptop earlier this week and I received it earlier today! : )

Phew, HUGE load of stress off my chest.

Thank you RFDers!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)