Pushy PC Mastercard sales-people at No Frills/Superstore

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 19th, 2012 11:44 am
Apr 22, 2010
418 posts
30 upvotes

Pushy PC Mastercard sales-people at No Frills/Superstore

Has anyone run into these people?

Within seconds of entering a No Frills or Superstore in Mississauga at least, they start peddling the PC Mastercard, and are very persistent, to the point of being annoying.

They keep insisting that even if you don't use it, take advantage of the $40 in free groceries you get as a bonus, and act as if that is the greatest thing that could ever happen to you.

Being polite, I say 'No thanks' but that doesn't work the first time, they just keep at it.

What would you say or do?
43 replies
May 29, 2010
162 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
Say "no thanks" and walk away from his/her area without making any further eye contact. If they follow you, don't talk to them anymore and ignore them. I usually pretend I can't hear them coz I have earphones in my ears blasting music anyway. That works.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2003
1796 posts
149 upvotes
Toronto
I just say I already have one, which I do. Once I even got a coupon for a free bag of PC chocolate cookies too!
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10455 posts
1957 upvotes
No Frills is a franchise so just complain to the owner. I'm sure he/she would do something about a pushy salesperson driving away his/her customers. At the locations I've been to these sales people haven't been at the door and are actually very subdued as sales people go. They frequently just stand there and say nothing and if they do ask, they always take "no thanks" as an answer.
Mar 25, 2011
708 posts
30 upvotes
Guelph
If you don't say anything within 5-10secs they will stop talking. No idea on why you'd even give them 5 secs of your time.

PS
I have one. I've never used my points on groceries though. We can't use our points for giftcards anymore correct? I remember there was a thread about it and that's unfortunate. I got $400 worth of FS GCs before.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
15672 posts
1212 upvotes
GTA West
slippy wrote:
Mar 11th, 2012 3:02 pm
I just say I already have one, which I do.
Same here, saying "I've already got one" gets rid of a lot of aggressive sales people.

Though I do find it very sneaky the way they advertise some big sale, and when you get instore, there is a PC MasterCard sales guy waiting right in front of the big sales item.
- Not Collecting AIR MILES Since 2016/07 -
- Casual Gastronomist -
Nov 26, 2011
806 posts
87 upvotes
canadian tire has the same thing

what you do is this:

walk in at an incredibly fast pace with a stern look on your face like you're missing a single final bolt to fire up your bbq for the first time this season

grocery store? again, walk super fast like you ran out of paper plates for your party your hosting tonight

usually they just hand you a sheet or look for the next customer who casually strolls in
Jun 6, 2009
368 posts
20 upvotes
Fort McMurray
A true RFDer would sign up for the freebies repeatedly, and either keep the card or chuck it out as it comes in the mail. :lol:
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2007
2269 posts
100 upvotes
Look them in the eye without saying a word and continue walking.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2006
1233 posts
18 upvotes
seriously? this is what you're complaining about?

you can't handle someone trying to sell you something? how do you dress yourself in the morning?
Dec 12, 2010
997 posts
144 upvotes
Toronto
A couple of years ago in No Frills they approached me when I was looking at something in the fridges. They already tried to approach me twice before and said that I actually had one (which is true), I actually had to tell them to leave me alone.

Saying having one didn't work with this particular man :mad: 99.9% of time it normally does.

One place that I find is getting pushier is Indigo, I actually heard someone say to a customer are you going to buy anything today?...I left pretty quick after that gem.
[OP]
Apr 22, 2010
418 posts
30 upvotes
KDSet wrote:
Mar 11th, 2012 6:47 pm
A true RFDer would sign up for the freebies repeatedly, and either keep the card or chuck it out as it comes in the mail. :lol:

I think the $40 in freebies are a one time thing, not worth the trouble and giving out all your personal info, which will end up in a lot of junk mail in the post.
slippy wrote:
Mar 11th, 2012 3:02 pm
I just say I already have one, which I do. Once I even got a coupon for a free bag of PC chocolate cookies too!
Maybe worth a try. I just don't want to lie, but in this case I don't mind to get them off my back.
umop wrote:
Mar 12th, 2012 2:16 am
Look them in the eye without saying a word and continue walking.
lol I don't think I could pull that off
hamant wrote:
Mar 12th, 2012 2:28 am
seriously? this is what you're complaining about?

you can't handle someone trying to sell you something? how do you dress yourself in the morning?

yikes, what crawled up your butt crack? I'm simply asking other peoples' opinions on what they would do.
Mar 22, 2011
479 posts
59 upvotes
A PC sales person came up to me as I'm trying to get something out of my purse. He gestures at his PC booth and feeling annoyed, I quickly said that I already have one (which I did). His response was "Great!" and proceeds to tell me about other PC financial products. I glared at him and said "not interested. Go away. I mean it." all the while interrupting me as I'm saying it. Only then did he walk away.

Some sales peple think persistence will get customers to apply to whatever they are offering. In fact, it's quite a turn off and makes me want to avoid the store altogether.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2008
2291 posts
354 upvotes
Ottawa
If they're really pushy just say

"I don't like to pay off credit cards." or something similar.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
5371 posts
355 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Just keep walking. If you want to be polite you can smile and nod but do not stop. It's not like they can physically touch you or block your way, and if they do it's a lawsuit.
There's a sucker born every minute.
× < >