• Apr 18th, 2007 10:14 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Dec 28, 2005
757 posts
2 upvotes

Put car in park while still moving

If the car is still moving and you put the car in park what will happen? And what kind of damages does it do? Of course on an automatic
12 replies
Deal Addict
May 22, 2006
1364 posts
100 upvotes
Toronto
michael10 wrote:
Apr 17th, 2007 11:28 pm
If the car is still moving and you put the car in park what will happen? And what kind of damages does it do? Of course on an automatic
On my parents car, I cant move the shift handle without putting my feet all the way down on the brakes....
Jan 3, 2005
632 posts
16 upvotes
michael10 wrote:
Apr 17th, 2007 11:28 pm

Buddy...what did you do??? :confused: :confused:

If the car is moving slow enough it may actually jerk to a stop. Otherwise it may damage the tranny I would think.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2005
3805 posts
4 upvotes
I did this ONCE, well a friend did it because i didnt move it to park (only to R)before getting out of the car (yea i wasent thinking) but nothing happened.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
5658 posts
2582 upvotes
Victoria
It's nothing worry about when it's done at a slow speed. The parking pin can take some abuse as demonstrated by the many drivers who do not use their parking brake. When it breaks... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parking_pawl
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2006
6562 posts
429 upvotes
Toronto
Don't do it a lot and you'll be ok... From time to time you'll see it happen on COPS where the vehicle is still moving and is jammed into Park, you'll hear a "click click click click click" until the vehicle is stopped.
I Declare - The official guide to your Customs exemptions and item restrictions when returning to Canada from abroad.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2004
3168 posts
36 upvotes
Toronto
My friend did this at low speed and he heard a few click-click-click. He didn't notice any damage.

The parking pawl locks the transmission's output shaft to the transmission casing by engaging a pawl (a pin) that engages in a notched wheel on the shaft, stopping it (and thus the driven wheels) from turning. When your vehicle is moving while engaging park the pawl will just slide out of the notch and slide onto the next notch. This may chip out or round off corners of the pawl/notch.

I also moved the shift lever to reverse while travelling forward at about 40km on an auto vehicle. I was trying to move from D3 to D4 but overshot. I heard wheels squealing and I quickly shifted it back to D3. Didn't notice any damage neither.

Not to suggest you to try this out.
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2003
14040 posts
744 upvotes
Markham
DragonZealot wrote:
Apr 18th, 2007 8:49 am
I also moved the shift lever to reverse while travelling forward at about 40km on an auto vehicle. I was trying to move from D3 to D4 but overshot. I heard wheels squealing and I quickly shifted it back to D3. Didn't notice any damage neither.
must've been an extremely old car

on current models, N is as far as you can go while moving
ShadowVlican
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
20256 posts
1668 upvotes
ShadowVlican wrote:
Apr 18th, 2007 1:42 pm
must've been an extremely old car

on current models, N is as far as you can go while moving
Are you kidding? Though the shifter in some cars will prevent you from engaging park with forward vehicle speed, there are still tons of them where you can engage park with the car moving. And yes I'm talking 2007 models.

What's funny is high-end BMWs (which have no shifter) but just have the electronic gizmo on the side of the wheel, in transport mode these cars are so stupid that they will actually engage park automatically (regardless of going forwards or backwards) if you get up off the seat or open the door while trying to park the car! I'm pretty sure this is only a transport-mode "feature" (so as to prevent the car being left in gear and the driver getting out and the car continuing, LOL) but it's really quite stupid overall.

As for engaging park while the car is moving, I mean if you have to ask that you should not be driving a car. Hey here's another idea why not just engage reverse while travelling on the highway? :rolleyes: (While most modern cars won't allow this one, if it does have fun paying for the repair!) I mean c'mon now it's just common sense. Yes you'll probably just hear the pawl click if it happens once, by accident, at low speed or something but think about how much automatic transmissions cost (and cost to repair). You're looking at, at least $1000 if you do any damage whether it be over time or from a one time event. Unless you have to get rid of a lot of money for some reason, just don't do it.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2004
2507 posts
21 upvotes
DragonZealot wrote:
Apr 18th, 2007 8:49 am
My friend did this at low speed and he heard a few click-click-click. He didn't notice any damage.

The parking pawl locks the transmission's output shaft to the transmission casing by engaging a pawl (a pin) that engages in a notched wheel on the shaft, stopping it (and thus the driven wheels) from turning. When your vehicle is moving while engaging park the pawl will just slide out of the notch and slide onto the next notch. This may chip out or round off corners of the pawl/notch.

Not to suggest you to try this out.
Correct me if I am wrong, but my mentor once told me, and also someone mentioned on this forum, that cars now a days have a safety program, where if you are above 5 KM/h and you accidently go to R, it will ignore it and put u in neutral or something. My mentor was going something like 60+ on the road, and accidently went into R, but nothing happened cause the computer just ignored it or something like that. Sometimes I'm rolling down the driveway, brake to about 1-2 KM/h backwards, and i put it in to D, it just rolls back a bit then goes into D

I wouldn't worry about it, just don't do anything crazy as you never know when computers can possibly fail to function.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
20256 posts
1668 upvotes
^Yeah most modern cars won't engage reverse with significant forward vehicle speed. But park seems to be anohter story! Still even if you only damage the pawl and the rest of the transmission is good, the cost to repair it probably isn't going to be all that cheap.

Plus when the parking pawl actually does stop the car (once it's going slow enough) there is usually a fairly violent jerk/jolt to it. Over time you're going to wear or damage the motor/trans mounts pretty quickly. Do it once, by accident, hear the pawl click and put it back in gear--that's probably fine. But do it everyday and you're gonna have problems for sure.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2004
3168 posts
36 upvotes
Toronto
malaco0219 wrote:
Apr 18th, 2007 1:49 pm
Correct me if I am wrong, but my mentor once told me, and also someone mentioned on this forum, that cars now a days have a safety program, where if you are above 5 KM/h and you accidently go to R, it will ignore it and put u in neutral or something. My mentor was going something like 60+ on the road, and accidently went into R, but nothing happened cause the computer just ignored it or something like that. Sometimes I'm rolling down the driveway, brake to about 1-2 KM/h backwards, and i put it in to D, it just rolls back a bit then goes into D

I wouldn't worry about it, just don't do anything crazy as you never know when computers can possibly fail to function.
Yes this was about 15 years ago on a domestic column shift car. The console shift you have to push a button to go pass N so you won't accidentally do this.

I would not think someone will be stupid enough to do this regularly.
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
23349 posts
1452 upvotes
Markham
I've actually tried this few days ago in a parking lot.

It just stops when I was in R to D -_-'

brake ofcourse ;)
× < >