Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 22, 2003
2299 posts
1047 upvotes
Vancouver

Putting dog down

We're putting our 18.5 year old Bichon Frise down tomorrow, he's stopped eating, lost bowel control and can't even stand any more. We're getting the vet to come do it in our home to make it less stressful for him. I know everybody says I should be there next to him when he's put down, but I'm worried I'm going to be bawling my eyes out and that my emotions might stress him out...any thoughts? Can't believe I'm losing my best friend... Crying Face
17 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
15734 posts
4460 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Sorry for your situation. I’d be a wreck too.
Firebolt wrote:
Feb 12th, 2016 1:09 pm
give lots of head for sick knee fadez, give lots of lap dances for ca$h wallet fades. Always pop that leg when kissing for dope honey combs, knee lots of mans in the crotch for killer whiskers, low ride like an og for them stacks. And traintracks? Only achievable by a legend in the denim game
Jan 1, 2013
21 posts
14 upvotes
ESSEX
Sorry to hear :(

Its never easy saying goodbye forever to a good friend.

If you are there, your dog will feel comforted, even if you are crying, just being there and not with strangers, counts.

You may also hate yourself if you arent there, youll never ever get another chance to say goodbye.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
3453 posts
1360 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I'm so sorry. My dogs are my heart and I will be devasted when that day comes. 18.5 years is very good for a dog. My heart goes out to you.

PS - you really should be there. You want your fur baby to have your love as they leave this life.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
1567 posts
286 upvotes
Markham
Be there. You will regret if you are not there.
Sorry to hear about your lost.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
9586 posts
1245 upvotes
Toronto
BDSL wrote:
Oct 20th, 2017 10:57 am
Be there. You will regret if you are not there.
Sorry to hear about your lost.
I agree. My parents couldn't bear to be in there, but my sister and I stayed in there. I still have the last memory. All the details are a bit of a blurr, but I still remember the final moments. It happens quick. Almost instantaneously. But oddly, as soon as my dog passed and the last breath left her body, I felt a sense of relief and peace (of course I was sad, devastated, etc.). But for a moment, to finally see her suffering stop was a sense of closure.

And yes, we were holding her. Normally, she would be more aggressive or resistance, but as soon as the vet went around (from her behind) with the needle, my dog looked back, and she knew, so instead of normally being a bit defensive, she turned around and lied down with her paws forward to be in her position of 'final' sleep. That face of sadness and knowing of what was to happen. We were holding her (my arm was on her back basically) It was crazy how she knew. If my sister and I weren't there comforting her, the thought of her final moments with no loved one around I would regret now big time. And again, the last breath is actually closure as painful as you might think it is.

At first, you will only think of her later moments of pain before her passing. But in due time, you will remember her happier days and have the fond memories. Take as many pictures, videos, etc. It will be very hard to see afterwards, and may take years (or for me, the deep sadness was liberated when I had my daughter and the good memories really resonated afterwards). What actually helped too was watch youtube vids of people taking their dog to the vet. When you realize and see others go through it, it will make it a tad bit more easier to accept. My best to you and your beloved dog as he crosses over the Rainbow Bridge.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4750 posts
2323 upvotes
Edmonton
F*ck... Our old dog is slowing down more and more each day, it seems... Even though I've only known him for a few years (he came as a package deal with my GF), I'm NOT looking forward to the day we have to call our vet.

But yes, I expect both my GF and I (and possibly her ex as well) will be there with him at the time. Even if we don't hold it together very well.

So sorry for your situation, but you're doing the right thing. You've given him a lot of love and fun over the years (and vice-versa), so try to remember the good times.

C
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
15734 posts
4460 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
**** this is so depressing. I can't handle that story....
Firebolt wrote:
Feb 12th, 2016 1:09 pm
give lots of head for sick knee fadez, give lots of lap dances for ca$h wallet fades. Always pop that leg when kissing for dope honey combs, knee lots of mans in the crotch for killer whiskers, low ride like an og for them stacks. And traintracks? Only achievable by a legend in the denim game
Feb 16, 2013
521 posts
567 upvotes
Toronto
Sorry to hear.
It's devastating.
As long as she had a good life, that's all that counts.
She'll know as she moves on to the next stage.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2011
3224 posts
572 upvotes
London
Be there. Hold him. He's had a long innings with you and been there for you, waiting to be told by someone else that its done is not doing right by your best friend.

Its awful, i was there with my family dog and they know, you dont want him to wonder where you are whwn he is going out

Im crying even writing this. Good luck.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
5897 posts
343 upvotes
OP,

I'm really sad to hear about this, but I think it's the right decision that you should be there. I think you're far more likely to regret not being there than being there. No matter how hard it will be for you, I think your dog would feel much more relaxed, calm, and loved if they had you there with them next to them as it happened, to let them know that you loved them and that everything was going to be OK (I am actually tearing up a bit as I write this, and this isn't even about my dog).

Your dog lived a good long life, and you should treasure the time you spent with them. They love you with all their heart, and I'm sure the feeling is mutual on your end. Give them the comfort they need and deserve as they take their last breath so that they can rest in peace. That is the only thing they want and need when the time comes. If you can find the strength to do so, you should give it to them.

[removed]
Last edited by Mars2012 on Oct 22nd, 2017 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: quote and your response were removed
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
2312 posts
149 upvotes
I'm sorry to hear that. I cried when I had to put my cat down. It's better to be close by than to regret later, I think.
Deal Addict
May 14, 2009
4524 posts
247 upvotes
Sorry to hear, it's devastating but I agree that you should try and be there.

I think it's amazing that your pup lived til 18.5! :)

Hang in there.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 22, 2003
2299 posts
1047 upvotes
Vancouver
Thanks for all the support guys. I cried like a baby, but I stayed with him til the end. On the last day, he wouldn't even get up. He was at peace, like at1212b said, it's like he knew. When they inserted the IV, he didn't even fight. Told him it was okay to go, and thanked him for being my best friend. At least I know he's not suffering any more.