Home & Garden

Putting in a new bathroom fan line to the outside near dryer vent?

  • Last Updated:
  • Dec 11th, 2018 11:42 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 11, 2005
7169 posts
780 upvotes
TO

Putting in a new bathroom fan line to the outside near dryer vent?

Hi guys,

Thought I'd ask this here, we're trying to finish the basement bathroom which has been sitting there since we bought our current place.

At the moment it doesn't have ventilation for bathroom fan to the outside, only has a cutout.

We had couple of contractors come in, some were licensed and others just handy man and many of them recommended just using a T join or an elbow to utilize the current dryer line/hose Wich obviously sounds dangerous.

Only one of them recommended a proper dedicated line out of the house next to the dryer. That requires a hole to be done from both ends.

I'm surprised as to how many who quoted just want to do a quick job and not think of the danger of using an existing dryer vent line.

Can this be done any other way?
Achieva Financial /KOHO / STACK (0% FX Fee) /Tangerine / EQ Bank member / I use Plastiq for paying bills with my CC

"You can't soar with the eagles if you're hanging with the turkeys - Gary Kent
5 replies
Deal Guru
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
12949 posts
13083 upvotes
Oakville
Many reasons why that would be a bad idea. Go with a new hole.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 6, 2010
12828 posts
7074 upvotes
Toronto
TorontoEh wrote: Hi guys,

Thought I'd ask this here, we're trying to finish the basement bathroom which has been sitting there since we bought our current place.

At the moment it doesn't have ventilation for bathroom fan to the outside, only has a cutout.

We had couple of contractors come in, some were licensed and others just handy man and many of them recommended just using a T join or an elbow to utilize the current dryer line/hose Wich obviously sounds dangerous.

Only one of them recommended a proper dedicated line out of the house next to the dryer. That requires a hole to be done from both ends.

I'm surprised as to how many who quoted just want to do a quick job and not think of the danger of using an existing dryer vent line.

Can this be done any other way?
I'm not sure if it's 'dangerous' per say. The dryer line also carries lint and debris whereas the bathrooms fan is strictly to extract moisture/humid air. I know that I would not want to intertwine the two.

Just cut out a hole in the exterior wall and be done with it.

Don't be surprised that someone doesn't want to cut a hole, they want your money and they want to make it fast and as easily as possible.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
4954 posts
1639 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
We actually used existing dryer vent [all rigid metal duct] in basement for new basement bathroom vent.

BUT we also moved washer and dryer and made new dryer vent [rigid metal except small piece at floor] so not double utilizing.

The drilling of the hole for new vent [both sides] took few minutes so no reason not to do.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 11, 2005
7169 posts
780 upvotes
TO
koffey wrote:
I'm not sure if it's 'dangerous' per say. The dryer line also carries lint and debris whereas the bathrooms fan is strictly to extract moisture/humid air. I know that I would not want to intertwine the two.

Just cut out a hole in the exterior wall and be done with it.

Don't be surprised that someone doesn't want to cut a hole, they want your money and they want to make it fast and as easily as possible.
georvu wrote: We actually used existing dryer vent [all rigid metal duct] in basement for new basement bathroom vent.

BUT we also moved washer and dryer and made new dryer vent [rigid metal except small piece at floor] so not double utilizing.

The drilling of the hole for new vent [both sides] took few minutes so no reason not to do.
engineered wrote: Many reasons why that would be a bad idea. Go with a new hole.
Wow! Thank you all for chiming in and now I feel confident that was the right move, reason I asked is because i had some 'licensed' contractors come in and I guess to make their work shorter, they said oh we'll just use an 'elbow' or a 'T pipe' to use the existing channel.

I'm not a handy man or a contractor at all and even I thought wth, this doesn't sound right. I asked those questions as in: So our bathrooms will be smelling like Tide/Gain laundry detergents lol.

Here's the picture of current setup. Do note that the rigid hard pipe was taken out recently as it was never removed or cleaned and it had lots of debris/lint jammed.

Image


https://imgur.com/a/OhlAzPG
Achieva Financial /KOHO / STACK (0% FX Fee) /Tangerine / EQ Bank member / I use Plastiq for paying bills with my CC

"You can't soar with the eagles if you're hanging with the turkeys - Gary Kent
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
4954 posts
1639 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Also choose fan with better then builder quality cfm

Top