Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2005
3160 posts
639 upvotes
Toronto
bolmsted wrote: put openwrt or ddwrt on it and maybe you won't think it sucks
I don't think C50/C70 chipset supports 3rd party firmware. The C5/C7 does though.
Feb 16, 2010
911 posts
804 upvotes
Toronto
willilumplump wrote: Getting a router to perform can take some tweaking. Someone mentioned checking QoS settings - did you do that?

My Netgear R7000 only ran at about 60% of capacity until I fiddled with various settings and got it to just over 90%. A web search on optimizing the router you have may help.
I followed this guide here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLIta2yTAyw
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
cafu wrote: [QUOTE and can't imagine how a $300 router will make Netflix streams any clearer.
Was this a joke?
Your question has been answer. Your router sucks.[/quote]

That's what I was thinking.
If OP is only streaming netflix, they're ridiculously overpaying for their internet package.
Feb 16, 2010
911 posts
804 upvotes
Toronto
death_hawk wrote: Was this a joke?
That's what I was thinking.
If OP is only streaming netflix, they're ridiculously overpaying for their internet package.
Or maybe don't assume?

50% off Rogers Ignite 100u.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
steeped wrote: Or maybe don't assume?

50% off Rogers Ignite 100u.
Still ridiculously overkill for Netflix.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2010
3784 posts
181 upvotes
Barrie
steeped wrote: :facepalm:
Based purely on speed 100 is a lot more than needed, at least for all their current content. I can stream without any issue at highest quality with 25 down.

That being said if you have the 100 for unlimited usage that makes more sense.
We don't know, so it's possible. And it's possible, so it's probably probable.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2006
2865 posts
296 upvotes
Toronto
Why is everyone railing on the dude for what he uses his internet connection for or what speeds he's paying for.

Like others have mentioned. The wan port on the C50 is only 100mbit so you won't see speedboosts up to 150mbps. Disable QoS and try your tests again. If you get the same results, use wired ethernet instead of wireless.
Feb 16, 2010
911 posts
804 upvotes
Toronto
Agafaba wrote: Based purely on speed 100 is a lot more than needed, at least for all their current content. I can stream without any issue at highest quality with 25 down.

That being said if you have the 100 for unlimited usage that makes more sense.
Some of you guys are ridiculous. Since apparently I need to justify my internet speeds to you...

I'm paying less for 100u than any other decent package Rogers offers. Yes, it's more than I need, but I have it purely for the cheap price of $45/month+HST all in. It expires in a few days, so I'm moving to start.ca on their 30mbps package for $50/month... Even more money than I'm paying now for 100u.

And now that we've gone totally off topic for no apparent reasons, I hope you feel nice and cozy inside.

Can we move on now?
Feb 16, 2010
911 posts
804 upvotes
Toronto
Hello- wrote: Why is everyone railing on the dude for what he uses his internet connection for or what speeds he's paying for.

Like others have mentioned. The wan port on the C50 is only 100mbit so you won't see speedboosts up to 150mbps. Disable QoS and try your tests again. If you get the same results, use wired ethernet instead of wireless.
I've gone through a few pages on Google and can't find a way to "disable qos". There's guides for setting up QoS ips... Can you possibly give me more guidance on what I need to do to disable it?
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
13194 posts
7650 upvotes
Kanata
have you done any LAN transfer tests to see throughput between devices on the same network?
How far are you from the router when you do these tests?
I would imagine you would get faster than 60Mbps with 5GHz. I had better speeds on 802.11N over 5GHz than 60Mbps, that's more in line with what I was getting using 2.4GHz.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2013
2732 posts
277 upvotes
Mississauga, Ontario
steeped wrote: I bought the TP-Link c50 and put the Roger's Hitron modem/router into bridge mode.

When not in bridge mode and using the Hitron built-in router, I get speeds up to 150mbps. Within the TP-Link, it barely passes 60mbps.

My router isn't gigabit, but it should still be able to pass 60mbps, right? Is there some sort of setting I need to enable?
Is this on wifi? Maybe you are getting 60mbps with a device that doesn't have wireless AC signal? I have an Asus AC wireless router, and my PC was getting around 60mbps as well, but it had a wireless-N card. Then I changed it to a proper wireless-AC card, and it jumped to maximum speed of around 150mbps.

For me it wasn't the modem or the router, it was my actual PC itself just not able to get that much speed over wifi...But if you said you get max speed with the Hitron....not sure then.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16872 posts
2557 upvotes
bolmsted wrote: put openwrt or ddwrt on it and maybe you won't think it sucks
Bad advice because these firmwares don't have support for hardware NAT - it will make it even slower.
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2008
1389 posts
1533 upvotes
Toronto - Markham/Sc…
steeped wrote: I've gone through a few pages on Google and can't find a way to "disable qos". There's guides for setting up QoS ips... Can you possibly give me more guidance on what I need to do to disable it?
Man, it's your router. It's been mentioned several times in this thread already. No matter how much fiddling around you do with the settings you won't get the speeds you are looking for.

To prove this point, go to Best Buy, buy a Nighthawk R7000 or even better yet R8000, come home and plug it in. Once you see the speed increase you can then pack the newly purchased router back up in the box and go back to Best Buy and return it for a full refund.

At this point you can continue to use your TP-Link router, knowing exactly what is causing the slow speeds.
Unless you see it for yourself, you don't sound like you are gonna be happy with any answers you get here.
Feb 16, 2010
911 posts
804 upvotes
Toronto
amkorp wrote: Man, it's your router. It's been mentioned several times in this thread already. No matter how much fiddling around you do with the settings you won't get the speeds you are looking for.

To prove this point, go to Best Buy, buy a Nighthawk R7000 or even better yet R8000, come home and plug it in. Once you see the speed increase you can then pack the newly purchased router back up in the box and go back to Best Buy and return it for a full refund.

At this point you can continue to use your TP-Link router, knowing exactly what is causing the slow speeds.
Unless you see it for yourself, you don't sound like you are gonna be happy with any answers you get here.
Nope, I'm pretty happy with the answer. Just think it makes more sense to debug first, as many here have already mentioned.
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2008
1389 posts
1533 upvotes
Toronto - Markham/Sc…
steeped wrote: Nope, I'm pretty happy with the answer. Just think it makes more sense to debug first, as many here have already mentioned.
Debug what? "Debug" in this instance means something is configured wrong and you are hoping to fix that to allow faster wireless speeds. There is nothing configured incorrectly, your router is just physically limited in what speeds it can achieve. No amount of debugging will change that.

However, you are free to do what you wish. Good luck on the "debugging"!
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2002
19368 posts
1071 upvotes
You can connect the computer with the network cable to router and test with speedtest. If you get close to 100Mbps via wired, your wireless is the problem.
Feb 16, 2010
911 posts
804 upvotes
Toronto
amkorp wrote: Debug what? "Debug" in this instance means something is configured wrong and you are hoping to fix that to allow faster wireless speeds. There is nothing configured incorrectly, your router is just physically limited in what speeds it can achieve. No amount of debugging will change that.

However, you are free to do what you wish. Good luck on the "debugging"!
Thank you!