Parenting & Family

Putting sunscreen on children before school?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 12th, 2017 9:08 pm
[OP]
Dec 26, 2007
907 posts
156 upvotes

Putting sunscreen on children before school?

I've been a bit torn on this one with my SK / Gr. 1. Is there really a point on putting sunscreen on the kids in the morning before school 8:am-ish? The directions indicate to reapply it every 2 hours, so by the time they go out for lunch, it really has lost a good chunk of its effectiveness. The schools don't reapply during the day - but push parents to apply before sending them.

The counter argument is that, most sunscreens are chemical blocks that are absorbed by the skin. In reality they are not great for you, but the less of two evils considering sunburns, skin cancer, early aging, etc. However, if it's not going to be effective by the time they need it, is there really a point to using it then?
6 replies
Jan 8, 2009
626 posts
274 upvotes
GTA
http://skincare.about.com/od/sunkissedg ... -Hours.htm

If your child is mostly going to be inside and only outside for a bit at recess and/or lunch, applying first thing in the morning will get them through the day. The apply every 2 hours is for when people are working out, outside, swimming, etc - where the effectiveness is being broken down.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2004
3833 posts
229 upvotes
Toronto
Is it effective meaning it will block total of 2 hrs under direct sun, or would it fade away and become effective no matter if there is sun contact or not?
Jun 10, 2008
226 posts
87 upvotes
Brampton
If you put it on, the might get some protection. If you don't put it on, they will 100% not get any protection. Just put it on.
Deal Guru
Aug 22, 2011
14555 posts
3875 upvotes
Ottawa
thisischris wrote:
Jun 14th, 2017 4:10 am
If you put it on, the might get some protection. If you don't put it on, they will 100% not get any protection. Just put it on.
+1, better than none at all.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
6927 posts
949 upvotes
Is sunscreen necessary? My parents never had the concept when I was growing up. We were out for 14 minutes in the morning, 45 minutes during lunch, and 14 minutes mid afternoon break.
Feb 22, 2015
13 posts
1 upvote
Toronto, ON
Yes apply, like others have said. Better than nothing and also depending on school/class, they may be outside in the morning.

The difficult part is probably getting your child to put it on themselves after eating lunch.

Try to get sunscreen that blocks rather than absorbs into the skin, zinc oxide and titanium dioxide. The other ones get absorbed.

Maybe make a mention to your teacher to ask your child to reapply.